NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
John

Default Displaying items - Lights and lighting

On the Alalbama hall thread, Rick P commented on damage done by florescent lighting. I know some keep their treasures in total darkness as much as possible, but when we do display, are there any tips regarding sunlight, light bulbs, etc.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Mark Macrae

Default Take all precautions

Use UV rated glass, and limit exposure to direct and indirect light as much as possible for any artifact. Autographs start to fade away after a few weeks of exposure, and short of tracing, there is no way to recover the boldness
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM

You can display stuff as long as you limit the overall light-- limit time, intensity and exposure to light. For example, a windowless basement room is better than an upstairs porch or sunroom. Turn off the lights when no one's in the room. Maybe don't have really bright lights in the room. Some museums have dimmer light. Incadescent lightbulbs are best-- the old fashioned oval bulb kind. If you want to go whole hog, use UV protectant glass. UV glass blocks out most of the UV light which cases a lot of fading. If you have baseballs, many of the new baseball cubes are UV protectant. You could also drape cloth over the display when they're not in viewing use. That's what a lot of card dealers do at shows with their display cases.

If you have a basement or largely windowless room where you only have the lights on when you're in there, you're probably going to be okay. You're both enjoying the display and limiting the light exposure. The major problems happen with lot of exposure, like hanging a rare poster in direct sunlight in the porch. When the owner of this poster goes on vacation, the poster gets 7 days of direct sunlight and no one's even there. If you don't have a sunless room (every room except the bathroom in my home gets sunlight), then draping in black cloth is the equivalent of turning off the lights.

Lastly, different things are effected differently by light. Autographs are the most sensitive, while a bat, glove or toy is less of a worry. Even if a glove or bat lightens a bit, it may not effect the value. I don't think displaying a bat collection is a worry.

I have one or two nice items displayed in my home, but have them in an area that gets no direct sunlight from windows. I have a vintage movie poster in a hallway, and an original color photo on a wall that gets light but no direct sunlight from windows. I've also had an autograph in the less lit hallway wall for several years, and it's still in good shape. On walls that get lots of sunlight, in particular direct light, I don't have anything expensive. I live in a second floor condo that has big windows and gets tons of sunlight, so my place is a fair testing ground.

I don't think you have to be a zeolot about it-- just consciously work to limit the overall light. Pulling the shades and turning off the lights when you leave a room will probably cut about 70% of the light right there. A collector doesn't have to plaster over windows in the den in order to display stuff. Even the Louvre has lights on during visiting hours.

Last edited by drc; 08-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.