NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default Origins of collecting - how was it done back then?

Posted By: E, Daniel

I was just wondering if anyone has any real knowledge of how the cards we love to collect were traded (not obtained - I know t, e, etc..) circa 1908 -1912? Were collectors largely adult or 11 year olds? Did they tend to only collect the teams they followed - or put together larger more comprehensive collections? And most importantly, did people ACTUALLY trade?
Further (and please feel free to respond to any part of the post), did cards have monetary value? Were Cobb and Matty cards expensive to obtain if you didn't want to chew yourself sick on tobacco or caramels? Did you need 3 tinkers for a chance? Are there any Nagy's of the era who rounded up rarer cards and were re-nowned for their collections?

Anything else anyone can think of re the topic that's fun to share, please do!

Daniel

ps. I chose the era as is seems to me to encompass the earliest period that numerous card types, manufacturers and products exploded onto the market - that could feed a truly broad collecting community.........

Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

One of the stories I've heard about T206 was that when an adult opened a pack of cigarettes, he usually just tossed the card or cards in the street. Kids knew that and would hang around outside tobacco shops to pick up the spoils. I don't think too many adults collected or traded them when they were issued.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i have heard the same story of kids hanging out at the tabacco shops to collect unwanted cards.

btw, barry it's nice to have you back....hope you had a great vacation!!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Thanks Andy, I did.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lowe

From what Ive found in the early years of collectibles , people who collected things collected EVERYTHING . From cigar labels , to matchbooks to postcards . They liked to look at them and kept them . Then along came the depression and people saved every little scrap of everything along with the used bacon grease .

There may have been some set collectors in the early history of baseball and tobacco cards but I believe the majority or people were just smoking or chewing their favorite tobacco and staching away their premiums .

Old 06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I'm pretty sure that it was common for someone to throw a tobacco card of his favorite player right in the wallet.

It also seems that it was common to stamp or write your name on each card in your collection.

I've always imagined t206 cards and perhaps other issues scattered on the floor at the tobacco stand/shop. Perhaps the owner/retailer even picked a few up and kept them to give away or for a personal collection. The majority ended up in the garbage though.

What do you do with a cracker jack "prize" today?
It's not in my safe.

robert a

Old 06-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The comparitive value of cards is pretty well documented in the ACC and Sports Collectors Bible. In general, the prices were based at first solely on the perception of card rarity, with frequently no premium associated with HOFers, etc.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

My wife's grandfather was born in 1900 and hung out and did gofor work at the family hardware store in our little town. I'm sure he collected the cards from all the old guys standing around smoking and shooting the breeze, but he also started smoking at a very early age (apparently acceptable back then). I believe, from the collection that he left us, there was some trading or at least special attention paid to saving cards of favorite players. I think there was a regional bias, judging from the number of southern stars (especially Cobb) and other southern players (exemplified by a large collection of t210 series 8s). Lucky for me about the smoking, but not for him, he died of lung cancer in his 60s.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Speaking of T210's has anyone done any research on the distribution of these cards? I would assume from a marketing approach it would have made sense to have the Blue Grass League cards (Series 6)placed in packs of Old Mill cigarettes to be sold in Kentucky. What factory would have placed them in the packages and would they have been shipped to a Kentucky distribution point? In my research I have seen several Old Mill ads from 1910 in the Frankfort, Kentucky newspapers but they only indicate that base ball cards are included but don't indicate the league.