NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Ebay Gift Hand Slap

Anybody get a email today from Paypal about using the "gift" option for purchases? I got a reprimand for accepting "gift" payments for cards some of you have purchased. They said May 6th would be the last date this would be acceptable. If I continued to use this option I would have my privileges revoked. Just curious if anyone else got their hand slapped.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I have never used paypal "gift" for anything I ever purchased on ebay--I didn't know you even could do this, but have on occasion used it for BST stuff and I'm not sure how they would be able to prove it wasn't a "gift" if it couldn't be tied to an ebay auction. I didn't get my hand (or anything else) slapped by them...yet!
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Default me too!!!

got one the other day--included the explanation that it's for friends and family!!! Do you think that they would buy the argument that everyone who buys from me is my friend???

cheers
Old 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM

I've used the PP Gift option in the past for purchases & sales in the 4 figure range - but not recently. Looks like PP is going to close this loophole or at least place more restrictions on it.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM

I wonder if it will be the senders or receivers who are cracked down on...so far it sounds like just receivers?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Seems like the only hand that should be slapped is the PayPal exec's who didn't think this would happen.

Last edited by Jason Carota; 04-22-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carota View Post
Seems like the only hand that should be slapped is the PayPal exec's who didn't think this would happen.
Shame on them for having faith in people to do the right thing.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Jim D

im not sure if you guys can do this is the USA, or even if i can do it cross border, but i just use online banking and email payment for things... only costs me $1.50 no matter what i send.

I just enter a valid email address and then the money gets sent to your email, you must have online banking to receive it and then you deposit it into your own account. works fast and easy.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Frank Wakefield

I thought what PP was doing was providing a channel for someone to send money to a kid at school, ie a family member; or to a friend. They did not intend it as a way for a buyer and seller to dodge the fees. I use Paypal. I don't think I've ever sent anything as a gift dodging the fees, because I've not sent a gift of money to a friend or family member through Paypal. What's the right thing to do here, click gift knowing it isn't a gift to a friend or family member so that Paypal is cheated out of their fee? I doubt it.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default gift vs e-check

I always require e-checks which are only $5......for any amount. I also send them that way. Paypal then gets something and I am not skirting the system.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I always require e-checks which are only $5......for any amount. I also send them that way. Paypal then gets something and I am not skirting the system.

I always wondered why Paypal charges just a $5 flat rate on an e-check transaction (which takes longer), yet charges a 2.9% on direct balance transfers. Did I answer my own question there? Is it the "float" on the e-check that they are benefiting from?