NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Woody & Richard Gelman and Card Collectors Co.

Posted By: boxingcardman

prewar, postwar and modern collecting bought at retail at the time. Anyone who got into prewar more than 10 years ago has done very, very well. Anyone who got into postwar has done squat unless it has been at the 9-10 level. And those with modern stuff over that time are for the most part losing their over-financed homes in foreclosure.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AL

Eric--my experience was similar to yours. I bought cards by the pack starting in 57 but in 63 started buying the sets from the Card Collector's Company and receiving them in series as they were issued. Getting those packages was something to look forward to all summer.

I also have one of the Catalogs, I think from 64, which offers all the 52 high number cards for $ 90. Great prices on T 206 and other tobacco cards as well

Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

AL -- yes I looked forward to receiving those packages containing each new series of cards too. It was so exciting to see what players you would get, what cards of your favorite players looked like in the new issue, etc. As I remember you would get the new series cards in the mail before they arrived in the stores.

The cards always started out in Mint condition, but in my case at least, they didn't stay that way. The ones of mine that have survived are now mostly VG-EX because of all the handling they were subjected too. The proverbial card #1 and the last card in the set always took the biggest hits.

It is funny to think how cheap the cards were back then, compared to what they are worth now, but getting them all by buying gum packs at the store (and trading for the ones I didn't get), or ordering them through Card Collectors Co., set me back by at least $10, which was a pretty big investment for a kid back in 1966 making $5 a week during the summer mowing lawns.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Troy Kirk

I first ordered cards from the Card Collectors company when I was a kid in the late 1960s. I probably got their name from the back of Boys Life magazine. I remember going through my Topps checklists and trying to pick out Detroit Tiger players. I remember getting my order back and noticing that some of the 1969 cards I got had little red dots all over the player faces. I remember Dick Radatz in particular had the red dots on his face. I don't know if I still have that card or not, but I probably do somewhere.

In the mid 1970s I opened a book and out dropped a credit slip from the Card Collectors Company from 1968. It was for less than a dollar, something like 86 cents. I put together an order for all the 1967 high numbers I was missing, which was most of the series and sent in the credit slip and another couple of dollars. I think they were only about 4 or 5 cents each back then. When I got back the cards, they smelled smoky and they were slightly curled from top to bottom. There was a note that they had had a fire in their warehouse and that's why the smoky smell. Because of the smoky smell, they gave them to me for half price. They said I could send them back if I didn't like them. Instead, I sold them at cost to a friend who also needed the high numbers. He used an iron to flatten out the cards and he told me that worked fine. He probably had his mother do it. Then I sent in another order for the same cards but I said I didn't want smoky cards. They sent back all the high numbers I wanted in perfect condition, and not smoky. Their warehouse fire apparently didn't affect all of their stock, but they were trying to get rid of the smoky cards first, I guess. My high number 1967s are in a lot better condition than my lower numbers because I bought them from the Card Collectors Company and never played with them like I had with my lower numbers. But I have probably about 5 or 10 high numbers that are in pretty bad shape. Those are the ones that I already had before placing my order, so I foolishly didn't buy replacement cards for them. It would have probably cost me an extra 25 cents or so to get all of the cards in the series instead of just the ones I was missing. I guess those are the decisions you make when you are a kid.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Troy,

That's a great story and that's what makes collecting fun.

Peter C.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

I remember Richard Gelman had an auction in SCD in the early 80's. My brothers and I won unopened packs of 67 Pirate Stickers, 73 Action Emblems, 74 Gum (Tom Seaver), and a 74 Gibson Pinup. We of course opened the Pirates pack and were rewarded with Clemente, Clemente for Mayor and Willie Stargell. Easily the best pack of cards we ever opened. But of course, all of them are long gone.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MacDisciple

In 1972 I was 10 years old and sent a letter to Topps Chewing Gum. I enclosed a nickel and asked if they could sell me a Tom Seaver card because mine was wearing out. In return I received a letter from Sy Berger (I think), two cards of Tom Seaver, my nickel, and the address for Card Collector's Company, but I don't think I ordered anything until 1974 or 1975.

Mostly, I used to send no more than $5.00 each time for probably up to 20 cards. I would order common numbers from different years without having any idea who they were, from Bowman to Topps, 1950s to the present issue. I just liked getting examples of all the different issues, but preferred certain years as well. When I figured out that Topps assigned the better players to card numbers ending in zero, I ended up getting some pretty good players. My orders would be something like: 1964 Topps #13, 20, 180; 1968 Topps #250, 280. I had no idea what I would get until I opened the package. Orders would take 7 to 10 days it seemed.

When I got a little bolder, I bought a 1967 Seaver rookie in mint condition. It couldn't have cost more than $2.00, I am thinking it was 25-cents. I also remember buying a lot of 500 mint 1967 Topps assorted which included a good number of high numbers, and a lot of 200 assorted 1969 Topps which included two Nolan Ryan cards. Both lots could not have been more than $10.00. My biggest purchase was probably a T205 Zack Wheat. I don't remember what it cost.

I do remember something about a warehouse fire and that cards with smoke damage were discounted. Around 1975 I started attending a bi-annual card shows in NY city usually at the Roosevelt Hotel. Mostly I stuck to buying star cards of the Mets, Yankeees, and Cincinatti Reds. Years later, they turned out to be a great investment.

During the early 1980s, Card Collector's Company was sold to a dealer in NYC - I don't know the name. I visited the small storefront in NYC's Greenwich Village area on a couple of occassions in 1983/1984. I was really disappointed by their inventory and started to get suspicious that the owner wasn't Richard Gelman, though I never asked. Also, at the same time, CCC was running ads on the inside front cover of SCD. Their inventory was largely reprints and the famous Fun Food buttons, and there was something else I didn't like about them...they didn't seem honest.

It was great to see the scan of the Card Collectors Company catalog. It brought back some sweet memories. Thx.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Mac - Kid's minds must think alike. I sent my own letter to Topps in 1970. However, I received no cards in return, but I did get a letter from Melvin Poreta, Dir. of PR, who also directed me toward the Card Collectors Co. I still have the letter, and also an assortment of card literature from CCC. I still have a .30 cent credit slip with them! Think it's too late to redeem it? No Seaver for that amount for me, I'm sure.

edited to add: I went to some cards shows in NYC too, in the 80's. Wasn't there one on the east side, I think in an Armenian Church?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Paul- the first card show I ever went to was at the Armenian Church, in the fall of 1982. It was on Second Avenue around 37th Street. I went to quite a few there and I remember it was a pretty big event.

In those days dealers would have Pete Rose rookies on their tables with "not for sale" signs. I assumed it was some great rarity if nobody was willing to sell it. I think at the time the price was skyrocketing, so they were all holding out.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Was the operator for CCC (along with Don Lepore) for most of the 1980's and early 1990's. However, as late as 1984 Richard Gelman was still the owner of CCC but he was an extremely private man. He did work the CCC table at the 1984 Parsipanny National though.

The CCC inventory was still huge, but not at their store by the mid 1980's.

Regards
Rich