NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Woody & Richard Gelman and Card Collectors Co.

Posted By: Paul S

Barry - that's the place -- quite a nice place, too. I just went to, I think, only one show there. I was in a non-purchasing phase at that point in time and just checking out the landscape, as it were.

Around that same period ('82), maybe one or two years afterward, I remember reading an article in the Times about how prices were really on the rise. The story centered around the whopping price of the Topps '52 Mantle. I went into a card shop on 6th Ave in the Village and the place was packed. No '52s, but the owner had all these late '60s Mantles' -- they were all $100 no matter which year you wanted, and not one customer even asked about condition, they just had to have one. They were handed back and forth, no toploader, no penny sleeve, nuthin'! And they were selling fast.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Rich- has anyone heard from Don Lepore or has he simply fallen off the face of the earth? Don and I worked together every day cataloguing the Halper collection, and we really built up a nice friendship. But he had some demons and I don't know anyone who has heard from him in a long time. I hope he is okay.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MacDisciple

Don Lepore...that name rings a bell. Perhaps he is the one I was thinking purchased Card Collectors' Company. Someone mentioned a store on 6th street. That may have been the storefront I visited - although it wasn't the same one that I visited in 1983/84 when CCC first opened up a storefront. It was really tiny. In the late 1980s I used to visit a card shop a few blocks south of Washington Square Park - maybe that is the one on 6th? I left the NYC area back in 1994 and the layout of lower Manhatten is very sketchy in my brain.

Is there a thread on Renatta Galasso? What about SSPC? I've got 4 issues of Collector's Quarterly in a box. Keith Olberman was the editor while at Ithaca College, and I believe behind the SSPC sets in 1975/76 in some capacity.

I'll look around for other threads, I happened to Google Card Collectors Co. and ended up hre. I didn't know there were forums for card talk, etc.

Joe Pasternack...huh, that name rings a bell too.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

About the time he was working on the Halper catalog. He was pretty honest about his past and we had a nice 2 hour chat.

I heard he consulted for REA for a while but not sure about the past few years. Perhaps Rob knows as to his current whereabouts. I remember that because of his illness, that he had to be a little bit out of sight. If Rob knows and wants to email us privately -- we won't post -- but I'd be curious as well as to his health

Rich

Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The last time I asked Rob he hadn't heard from Don in a long time. I always fear the worst.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Rich Klein

Default I was writing a Rich's Ramblings

and while researching (Googling) this thread came up. I'm happy to say I saw Donny at the National last month.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Card Collectors Co.

Rich, you say you met Don at the National. I haven't seen him since he was working with Barry at the Halper Auction. What is he doing now?

Don invited me to the Card Collectors Co. in Franklin Square, NY to see their operation. I only remember seeing women sitting at tables in front of stacks of cards filling orders. Not too long after that time they had the fire. After the fire Don had a second floor office in a building on Hempstead Turnpike in Franklin Square to conduct business.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Rich Klein

Default Jerry

Honestly, I was so happy to see Donny erect I did not ask but we had a nice hug and a bunch of smiles. He was hanging out at Leland's booth so I'll ask Josh if he knows what Donny is doing now.

Rich
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Fred

Default Don Lepore

I too go back to the early 70's knowing Donnie. I just connected Don with Herb Ross his old partner. They had not talked for over 20 years. I had a chance online encounter with Herb. Asked if he was THAT Herb Ross who used to be with Don. He said he was.

I had "talked" to Don through eay and gave Herb Don's ebay handle. Don just visited Herb in CA. recently

You can contact Don through ebay. His handle is donlepore714

Fred
Old 02-27-2018, 04:39 AM
MICHAEL

Default Not completely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by archive View Post
posted by: anthony

i read that fritsch had some deal with topps where he'd get their overstock for basically the cost of shipping. Not sure if it was forsight or just cheap warehouse space that got him all those cases of cards.

renata galasso used to get all of topps cards that were leftover and alot more....they had literally stores and basements full of cards from the mid 60's all the way up till 1988, in 1988.

They had hundreds if not thousands of - each - key card in nr mt-mint condition.

I know because i worked there in the 1980's.

They had file drawers full of - each - key rookie.

1000 garvey, 1000 yount, 1000 brett, etc....was really amazing !!!!

Even then, i was like, wowwwwww.....

I remember holding handfuls of all of those rookies back in 1985.

Was unreal....

They were "perfect"....every one of them.

Probably where all the 9's and 10's came from in psa holders today.