NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Matt Wieder

Default Signed Page from Addie Joss Game?

Heritage is selling a page signed by WaJo and Cobb and suggesting it is a relic from the Addie Joss memorial game:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...2&Lot_No=80674

Aside from offering no proof to support that claim, the game itself was not referred to as an All Star game at the time, as it was delegates from a number of AL teams playing against the Indians as a benefit game. Also, Joe Jackson, was on the Indians team, not the start studded opposition, so his name on this paper also doesn't seem to fit.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM

The item would have been signed much after the fact via mail requests.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 03-31-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
The item would have been signed much after the fact via mail requests.
That was my thinking too Jodi...who would get Joe Jackson's wife to sign her husband's name in person?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Jonathan Scheier

Thank you for the interest in our auction--we hope everybody has found a few lots which they'd like to add to their collections. I'm attaching an image of a page from The New York Times covering the Addie Joss benefit game which makes use of the "All Star" terminology. Fidelity to fact is our greatest concern when it comes to cataloging our auctions, but we are always grateful to be notified of the need for a correction should that be the case. If there is indeed another baseball event from 1911 which utilized the term "All Stars" and featured Walter Johnson of the Washington Senators, Ty Cobb of the Detroit Tigers and Joe Jackson of the Cleveland Indians, we will make note of it in an addendum. Please do chime in if any of you are aware of such a game. We are not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Addie_Joss_Benefit_Game.jpg (20.1 KB, 151 views)
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM

While the page seemingly appears to commemorate that event, it certainly wasn't signed in 1911. Period exemplars of Cobb and Johnson which can be definitively dated are much different in formation from those found on the sheet. I would hypothesize that the sheet was created and signed no earlier than the late 1930's, but more likely the 1940's. Also, the presence of Katie Jackson's secretarial Shoeless would certainly point to the 1940's, as examples predating that decade are rarely encountered.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 04-05-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Sports View Post
Thank you for the interest in our auction--we hope everybody has found a few lots which they'd like to add to their collections. I'm attaching an image of a page from The New York Times covering the Addie Joss benefit game which makes use of the "All Star" terminology. Fidelity to fact is our greatest concern when it comes to cataloging our auctions, but we are always grateful to be notified of the need for a correction should that be the case. If there is indeed another baseball event from 1911 which utilized the term "All Stars" and featured Walter Johnson of the Washington Senators, Ty Cobb of the Detroit Tigers and Joe Jackson of the Cleveland Indians, we will make note of it in an addendum. Please do chime in if any of you are aware of such a game. We are not.
I like the passive aggressive nature of this post...The question still needs an answer though....Who would ask Joe Jackson's wife to sign for him in person at a game?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I agree with those that are skeptical of the association between the sheet and the game.
You could make the argument, as Jonathon does, that because there is no other game called an all star game from 1911, that it relates to it, but I don't think that is proof. I see that as circumstantial and not direct evidence.
The sheet says "All Star Team 1911" There is no mention of any game at all.
This could've been a sheet someone typed up to get signed by players he/she thought would be an all star team of 1911.
Plus it is a little peculiar that Jackson would be on a sheet of the all star team, when he played for the Indians in that particular game. Wouldn't it make more sense, if this is from that game, for there to be another sheet of the Cleveland team to be signed by them. I would think Jackson would've been on that sheet.
Also, If I were typing up a page like that, for some memorable event, ahead of time, I would type in the name and date of the event, not just a generic phrase.
I think that there are enough questions that to sell it as definitively being from that game is unfair.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I agree with Jodi as well. Katie Jackson would have had to have signed that in the 1940's, and probably prior to 1948 when, If I'm not mistaken, the formation of her K in Jackson changed to more of a stick version instead of rounded. Makes more sense that someone typed this up and decided it would be cool to send it out to be signed...and it is cool.