NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have only directly submitted to SGC and they charge your CC as soon as they receive your cards. I personally think that is BS and they should wait till they are done with your order and they are mailing it back so they have actually earned the $.

How do the other companies do payments?
I know for sure SGC and Beckett charge as soon as the order is received. I imagine PSA does the same.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:17 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I know for sure SGC and Beckett charge as soon as the order is received. I imagine PSA does the same.
Negative, psa charges when order is graded

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-23-2017, 03:53 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I still don't get it. Do graders spend more time inspecting a $10,000 card than they do a $10 card? If they don't, why does it cost more?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:08 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Gosh, grading high valued cards must be a lot more difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I still don't get it. Do graders spend more time inspecting a $10,000 card than they do a $10 card? If they don't, why does it cost more?
I asked exactly that early last year when we were talking about PSA's new price increases.

Someone did reply to state, due to insurance/shipping costs, and maybe a few other things, the price was justified because of the value.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Speaking of grading, I just posted in Post war and want everyone to guess which cards graded what and why?
Just having a little fun, but I also want some info to further gain some knowledge.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235854

Thanks.

Last edited by irv; 02-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:59 PM
David Peck

Quote:
They realize they are handing you money and want a piece of the action. It seems pretty fair to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Kenny Cole

I had already been on hiatus from submitting to SGC due to a couple of other issues/concerns I had. This is bullsh*t IMO and pretty well cements my transition to PSA. Hope it works out for them, but I won't be contributing.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I had already been on hiatus from submitting to SGC due to a couple of other issues/concerns I had. This is bullsh*t IMO and pretty well cements my transition to PSA. Hope it works out for them, but I won't be contributing.
What are those issues/concerns?

My grades popped today and 109 of them seemed spot on but 10 of them seemed way off base. I am talking 3 to 4 grades off. Maybe I missed something but I highly doubt it, can't wait to get them back to look at again.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 PM

Anyone who pays a higher price depending upon what their card is worth is a sucker. The PSA/SGC argument is better than BVG is a crock of crap.

Anyone who knows who's really grading at BGS/BVG knows that Andy Broome does the vintage grading at Beckett and was a senior grader for PSA.

Anyone can go pull out horrible examples/mistakes by each company and use those extremes of why not to utilize that company.

Accuracy AND Consistency is where one should judge each company. The reason Beckett has gotten a bad rap is that they had previously put out they would grade a sheet-cut card so long that it measured up to the measurements set-forth by the card companies.

I would argue that quite a bit of the vintage I've submitted to BVG has been as good or better than PSA examples and has come back with lesser grades.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
They realize they are handing you money and want a piece of the action. It seems pretty fair to me.
Ha. Wow. That would be like putting an addition onto your house and your contractor wanting a cut of the value the addition just added.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just never get cheated...

I bought this in a 2 holder, cracked and resubbed:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-24-2017, 03:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Ha. Wow. That would be like putting an addition onto your house and your contractor wanting a cut of the value the addition just added.
That's a much better example than the one I used to try to get the point across!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Just never get cheated...

I bought this in a 2 holder, cracked and resubbed:

WOW!

I am curious what would/would have happened if you left that card slabbed?

Would have another TPG or Joe himself, asked the previous TPG what he was thinking or would the card remain a 2 as to not admit they screwed up?
Old 02-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
To be fully honest as a contractor for 20 years. We didn't want a cut of your addition. We did charge you more for the SAME EXACT addition if you have a 800K house compare to a 300K house.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
To be fully honest as a contractor for 20 years. We didn't want a cut of your addition. We did charge you more for the SAME EXACT addition if you have a 800K house compare to a 300K house.
Is that a typo where you meant to say "We didn't" or did you purposely charge more because you knew the people with the $800,000 dollar house likely had more money?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Negative, psa charges when order is graded
Good to know.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Brian clif.ford

Really would be cool if these companies would be more transparent. You think that would be important in a hobby like this. How does one even become a card grader? Are there any former or current graders on this fourm?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan94 View Post
Really would be cool if these companies would be more transparent. You think that would be important in a hobby like this. How does one even become a card grader? Are there any former or current graders on this fourm?
I wouldn't count on any current graders publicly acknowledging their position on a forum. Imagine the PMs they would get with cash incentives to bump a card.

As for the SGC prices my guess is the higher rate is due to the risk of damaging the card. But the chances of me sending a 10k plus card before the fee increase to SGC was very low. I would put them at just above 0 now.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 02-24-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I wouldn't count on any current graders publicly acknowledging their position on a forum. Imagine the PMs they would get with cash incentives to bump a card.

As for the SGC prices my guess is the higher rate is due to the risk of damaging the card. But the chances of me sending a 10k plus card before the fee increase to SGC was very low. I would put them at just above 0 now.
The higher rate is because they are greedy like PSA.

I understand that me being able to walk in to Beckett and get a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded on the spot for $50 is an immense value, BUT charging someone $1,000 or whatever for the same process is an absolute ripoff and a joke. Where the happy medium is.....I don't know, but I know that I'm getting a better overall deal with price and turnaround time with Beckett being in my back-yard.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!