NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Grading companies

I realize this is a broad, highly subjective question, but as a relatively recent collector of vintage cards, I've strictly limited my major purchases to PSA or SGC graded cards. I don't particularly like the way other company's card holders look, and am just generally hesitant to buy a higher value card without PSA or SGC, Love the way SGC cards look, but realize PSA is the market leader. Looking at a rare card now that is graded by another co. Am I being stupid shying away from these other graders? Let me have it if I am. Just trying to learn. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 AM

You need to be more specific.

What card?
What company?

You don't give half the story and expect an accurate answer.

It may be overgraded, it may be altered - you need to judge each piece as it is. Even companies like "GMA" will get the occasional original, unaltered cards from an collector with little/no knowledge of the current hobby.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Fred

I don't think you're being too cautious. I'd also include Beckett as an acceptable TPG but those holders are very stout.

If you see a card in a GAI holder it's probably authentic but there's a greater chance that it could be a card that was altered and placed into a holder with a numerical grade (more so than the other TPGs).

No problem with being cautious.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Grading

... thanks. . realize my question was a little incomplete.

I'm not trying to crap on another company, and I'm not trying to suggest that these other companies are incompetent or a bunch of crooks. I'm just trying to consider how they are viewed in the marketplace. For example, I know BGS and BVG have been around and are (as far as I know) respected and solid companies. But what does it mean when a vintage card is graded 8 by BGS? Is that a PSA 8? Or viewed as something else. Frankly if I had a valuable asset I would get it graded by the market leader, and not a small player. But maybe I'm missing the point.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

IMHO if a card isn't in PSA or SGC (unless it's modern in which case BGS is OK), there is probably a reason.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks. Always been my gut feeling too. I know all the realtors in my town. When a house goes on the market and its a real estate company from 5 towns away that doesn't typically sell in my town I always wonder what's up. Just doesn't seem like a good sign . . . .

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-05-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:34 AM
Glyn Parson

Default as usual

I agree with what Peter said.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

My last annoying question for the morning. . . .has anyone bought a high end card from a non PSA SGC grading company and submitted it to PSA or SGC to be cracked open and regraded? If so, how did it work out?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
My last annoying question for the morning. . . .has anyone bought a high end card from a non PSA SGC grading company and submitted it to PSA or SGC to be cracked open and regraded? If so, how did it work out?
Yes. The best one I can recall was a GAI T206 of Demmitt or O'Hara that sold low because most thought it was trimmed and then got a high PSA grade. Made the buyer a nice profit.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I don't think you're being too cautious. I'd also include Beckett as an acceptable TPG but those holders are very stout.

If you see a card in a GAI holder it's probably authentic but there's a greater chance that it could be a card that was altered and placed into a holder with a numerical grade (more so than the other TPGs).

No problem with being cautious.
I would agree with that assessment. I have stuck to PSA or SGC, but wouldn't have too much hesitation to go with Beckett for a rare card when that's what comes up. Early GAI's were very reliable, IMHO, but got less so over time.

Best to all,

Larry
Old 12-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Brian clif.ford

IMO Bvg is fine too. Just the holder is very ugly. GIA I wouldn't trust on a higher grade/end card. If you have a card graded GIA 8 there is literally no reason not to just send it to PSA/SGC if its unaltered because they sell for so much more.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Bvg

A bunch of years ago I bought a 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC BVG 7. Then off to SGC via crossover service, came back trimmed. Then off to PSA, same result - trimmed.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
A bunch of years ago I bought a 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC BVG 7. Then off to SGC via crossover service, came back trimmed. Then off to PSA, same result - trimmed.
Trimmed as in unslabbed with the tags saying trimmed? Or simply "A"?

There's a difference, at least to me. A card that has an unusual cut or that is undersize by a certain amount will get an A even if it's not trimmed.

As to the original question, I have two vintage cards that aren't SGC or PSA.
One is GAI, and a common T206. I don't recall the grade, but it's somewhere in the G -VG range and I think the grade is accurate. I'd be very careful about high grade cards in GAI holders just by reputation.

The other is a 33 Delong that's Acu-Card 7. I don't have another fairly nice Delong to compare to, but while it is properly sized, I'm almost certain it's trimmed- like 99% sure.

I don't have any BVG graded cards, and only a couple modern cards graded by Beckett. The ones I've looked at seem to be either nice looking for the grade maybe with defects that don't appear in the scans, or the opposite, ones that look G but are graded VG-EX. Kinda puzzling, but if I don't like the card it doesn't really matter what holder it's in.

Steve B
Old 12-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
IMHO if a card isn't in PSA or SGC (unless it's modern in which case BGS is OK), there is probably a reason.
Keep in mind that some of us actually care more about our cards than the holder they are in. So yes, the "reason" I grade with BVG is superior PROTECTION rather than a superior registry.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

I'm not trying to crap on another company, and I'm not trying to suggest that these other companies are incompetent or a bunch of crooks. I'm just trying to consider how they are viewed in the marketplace. For example, I know BGS and BVG have been around and are (as far as I know) respected and solid companies. But what does it mean when a vintage card is graded 8 by BGS? Is that a PSA 8? Or viewed as something else. Frankly if I had a valuable asset I would get it graded by the market leader, and not a small player. But maybe I'm missing the point.
From what I have seen, a BVG 8 will typically sell for slightly more than a PSA 7. Maybe about 10-20% of the difference between the value of a PSA 7 vs a PSA 8. I would expect a similar result for other grades.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

From what I have seen, a BVG 8 will typically sell for slightly more than a PSA 7. Maybe about 10-20% of the difference between the value of a PSA 7 vs a PSA 8. I would expect a similar result for other grades.