NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default E121 "Babe" Ruth holding bird

Posted By: Tom B. 

I don't know if this is the correct forum, and let me know if it's not, but I'm a frequent reader/collector who would appreciate any insights that might help in my decision.

At a non-card antique show this weekend I came across a dealer with the above-mentioned card (ungraded). The card measures fine, with a very-slight bashed bottom edge, a minor one-eighth inch tear along the top edge, not-too-rounded corners, no creases and well-centered, and slight uniform paper loss across the entire back of the card which doesn't detract from the readability of the text: "Card is 1 of 120...".

I feel that the card would grade a GOOD, though maybe less because of the back damage, which I may have overstated. The guy is asking $750 for the card and he's offering it to me for $615. SCD has it for $695 in VG, so it may be a tad high at $615. I'm not sure how the card would be priced in a sportscard show, and I can pretty much count on it being there tomorrow, so I was wondering whether I should go for it. I know that you'd have to see the card, and that personal preferences on condition vary among collectors, but does anyone have an opinion on whether it's a good deal (reasonably priced) or not (way out of whack)? As far as Babe Ruth cards, how do the caramel varieties fare in terms of desirability in the market?

Thanks!! in advance for your thoughts/considerations/advice. Keep up the good threads.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Realistically based upon what you have described $300-400 range would be a much fairer price.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That is a cool card but the condition problems you mention will probably kill the value. I think the SCD might be a little low on the real market value, but pretty close. Depending on the back damage, and how big the tear is, $615 sounds like a little too much...good luck

Old 01-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shammus

I would pass on this altogether. I'd have a hard time calling a card with back damage and a tear higher than "fair". Personally, I would be patient and wait for a nicer one to come along. This card shows up on Ebay semi-regularly. I'm thinking $3-4 hundred would get you a much nicer one from one of their auctions. $615 is way too much for one in that condition. Hope this helps. good luck!

Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

Out of the four e121 Ruth poses (pitching, set of 80, holding ball, set of 120, photo montage, set of 120, and holding bird, set of 120), the "holding bird" card seems to draw the least collector interest and lowest prices. I guess the picture is just a little too weird for a lot of collectors. When they appear on ebay, a decent looking G/VG card can generally be had for about $600-700, so the card you are looking at really shouldn't go for more than about $400 tops.