NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-29-2018, 11:10 AM
Sam Lemoine

Default Is Alex Rodriguez becoming a HOFer after his career?

Obviously, A-Rod has HOF numbers. Obviously, voters have not been kind to steroid users. Barry Bonds was never a media darling. He was rude and not very likeable. Roger Clemens could be difficult on occasion. Honestly, A-Rod didn't come across as very friendly while he was active.

A-Rod is now part of the media. He is engaging and friendly. He is with JLo. Everywhere he goes he is smiling and intelligent and articulate. Does he get a little more love because of the fact that he is showing so much more personality than he did while playing?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

That's certainly what he's banking on.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:03 PM

Considering his HOF candidacy would be based on his career, during which he cheated, lied about it, and opted out of his contract during a World Series game.....I'd say there's no love gained.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would say he is no doubt a Hall of Fame member as is.

I have always thought it is the "Hall of Fame" not "Hall of players that meet my personality and moral guidelines". Leaving the best out negates the importance and value of it's significance as an achievement. There is already admitted racists, gamblers, drug and steroid users in the Hall as is, why are we uppity now?

That said, I agree, he has a plan that is working.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 06-29-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think he will have to endure a few years' punishment at least. Like Bonds and Clemens, eventually he will get in. As for J Lo, she'll probably drop him like she has every other guy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

ARod was always considered a phony, even back here in Seattle when he was with the Mariners-- and that's exactly why so many people disliked and dislike him. He couldn't tell a sincere personal truth because he probably even know how. Even when he "fessed up" to doping in a calculated interview, he was obviously crocodile tears lying about it-- and still doping. He lied about the duration and was then caught again! That he does pandering, calculated smiley stuff in the media and on television may just enhance that reputation.

Albert Belle may have been a rude jackass, but at least he was being himself

Last edited by drcy; 06-29-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Unlikeable man even aside from the steroids. There is an anecdote I read, it may have been in Torre's book, about how when Alex first came to the Yankees Torre overhears him ordering a clubhouse boy to get him a cup of coffee. Torre tells him, and one can imagine the real conversation included an expletive, Alex, get your own cup of coffee. Supremely talented player, but no class.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:43 PM
Sam Lemoine

I was watching A-Rod this morning and Sammy Sosa. A-Rod owned it. He had people eating him up. Sosa looked like the most uncomfortable guy out there. Sosa has HOF numbers too. Yet, his strange sneaky behavior is not going to help his cause. I think A-Rod knows he needs people to like him to push for his votes. Sosa is not educated enough to understand this. Heck, the year of suspension might have been the best thing for him.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Kyle May

Statistical HoFer? Sure. Eventually he and the rest of the cheaters will get in.

Ambassador of the Game HoFer? Hell. No. The guy is scum, and that's putting it lightly as to not get a slap on the wrist from Leon for vulgar language.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-29-2018, 05:12 PM
Manny
Banned

If Barry Bonds isn't in yet, A-Rod certainly isn't getting in either, at least not until many, many ballots. I don't see much difference between the two in terms of statistics and circumstances.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:15 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Correction. If your numbers are via steroids, you don't have HOF numbers. The same way that your 95 out of a 100 on a college or high school test is not a 95 when you're discovered to have cheated.

Last edited by drcy; 06-29-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Totally agree with Derek in the first response to this post. It's always felt (to me) that A-Rod has a very structured plan for his life, both during and after his playing days. This likeable announcer portion seems dead set on minimizing his "time-out" period to enter the hall of fame ASAP.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Correction. If your numbers are via steroids, you don't have HOF numbers. The same way that your 95 out of a 100 on a college or high school test is not a 95 when you're discovered to have cheated.
Not a fan of steroid users, but a players numbers via steroids were off of other players using steroids.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:08 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
... a players numbers via steroids were off....
Glad you agree with me
Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

Steroids aside, he made every team worse when he got there, and better when he left.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Steroids aside, he made every team worse when he got there, and better when he left.
He changed teams twice in 22 years. That seems a pretty bold statement.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I don't know if it's an act or not, but I've been very impressed with his analysis, demeanor and what presents itself as some level of humility.

Did the process of getting caught multiple times and reaching the end of his career humble him or is it all an act? I have no idea.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He changed teams twice in 22 years. That seems a pretty bold statement.
I know.

From 1995- 2003 The Yankees were pretty much THE team in the AL. (Yes, and it pains me to say that)
They went to the WS 7 times in 9 years, and won 5. Including 4 in a row.

Arod arrives and thankfully they experience a historic collapse.
Arods swatting play was a key moment in that.
That collapse eventually changed the outlook of Boston fans.
(Right after, when the announcer was calling it the worst collapse in baseball history I commented to my wife that "That's just one more thing they've taken from us" A few days later it was all ok! )

After that?
04-16, 13 years One WS win, Missed the playoffs 4 years, and were mostly out after the divisional series. The year he was out they did better than the years with him just before and after.
------------------------

The Rangers

1998, 99 first in the division
2000 pretty bad
they sign Arod to a big contract.
2001 to 2003, still last while he put up some of the best numbers of his career. I believe his salary prevented them from building a better team.
He leaves, and they go from 4th to 3rd for a few years.
-------------------------

Mariners

Ok, I may be wrong on them. Pretty bad pre Arod, competitive with him, and except for 2001, not all that good after he left.

Or.... They made the playoffs a few years, but weren't really all that close other years, including two straight third place out of four finishes.
How did they do the year after he left?
116 wins. But they ran up against the pre- Arod Yankees in the ALCS.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

A Rod was the MVP in 2005 and 2007. I somehow don't think his 48/130 and 54/156 dragged down the Yankees. I doubt it did in other years either when he was putting up very good numbers. I think you're oversimplifying what is almost certainly a complex situation as to why the Yankees' run of success mellowed out.

As for Texas, sorry but that's just not at all persuasive. Going from 4th to 3rd?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-02-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Larry

A-roid will make the HOF, just as soon as it places a premium upon lying, cheating, scamming and scheming. I like him and Mendoza so much that I watch the Sunday night ESPN game mute.

Just sayin',

Larry
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
A-roid will make the HOF, just as soon as it places a premium upon lying, cheating, scamming and scheming. I like him and Mendoza so much that I watch the Sunday night ESPN game mute.

Just sayin',

Larry
Mendoza's a joke. What a PC play that is, having her as an analyst/broadcaster. Such an ESPN/Disney thing to do.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 07-02-2018 at 07:49 PM.