NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default For Henry Yee, or anyone else: 5 Ultra rare Cards

Posted By: runscott

Are the 5 cards you are auctioning hand-cut? If so, are they from lot #1126 in the Mastro auction?

They are described as "thin cardboard". Is this the same as "postcard" stock? Or is it closer to "poster" stock?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1835620627

Old 06-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

real or not.

What's all this about "5 Ultra rare cards"?

Old 06-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Julie, an uncut sheet was auctioned in, I beleive, the previous MastroNet sports auction, and was described there as a proof sheet for notebook covers, and the only one known by them to exist. I don't remeber what was the winning bid, but it was up there.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

I haven't had any response from the seller - I'm guessing he won the Mastro lot and cut up the sheet. Who knows what "light cardboard" means. This is the problem with sellers not answering emails - leaves room for lots of speculation.

Old 06-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

>> I don't remeber what was the winning bid, but it was up there. <<

$3894.00

Old 06-13-2002, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott

"This one however was not from the mastronet auction.
I was surprised to even see one, let along a complete sheet form the last auction...

I brought these a few years back with some nice vintage turn of the century material...
From my experience, judging from the edges, these were definitely from a sheet. They were obviously meant to be cut when they were made probably 90 years ago. In terms of when they were cut, It's really hard to tell (the edges are clean on a few edges and some edges have toning from age that are consistent with natural aging).

Looking at how careful they were cut leads me to "believe" they were cut recently (judging from the sharp cuts and the fact that the white borders remained)."

Old 06-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

which cards were in the sheet in Mastro's auction for obvious comparison??? My guess.the same cards.

Old 06-13-2002, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott (not running)

The Mastro sheet had three rows of 5 cards: Kriger,Waddell,Matty,Young,Cobb. These are the same 5 that Henry is auctioning, but it could be that there were several sheets printed and Henry's was cut up and the cards sold long ago, possibly as three sets of five.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any players other than these 5 are known to exist.

Old 06-13-2002, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Brian,

You're right. They are the same cards. They are from the second row of cards from the Mastro sheet. Why:

Cy Young - Compare the 2 little rips in the top of the Cy Young card to the picture in the Mastro catalog. They look mighty similar, I say the same.

Criger - The Mastro example in the second row has a crease in the right edge, white is showing, right at the point where the ribbon curves around. Amazingly, so does this one. There is also a spot of wear in the bottom edge that is directly down from the blue area in the shoe near the lower left that matches this one on eBay. Also compare the wear and appearance of the bottom, right corner area of this card. They match. Start at the lower right corner: Note how an area in the background near the edge is washed out a bit as you go up the right edge IN BOTH CARDS and the dirt wear along the bottom gets thinner as you follow along the bottom edge IN BOTH CARDS.

Coincidence?

I can only assume the other 3 players are from the same row. Bottom line - that uncut sheet doesn't exist anymore. Da** it, greed claims ANOTHER really beautiful uncut sheet.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I don't know Henry, but his email to me made it clear that these are different cards and that he had them prior to the Mastro auction.

If you can post the scan, we can all compare the two.

Old 06-13-2002, 09:24 PM
Administrator

I didn't think it was clear enough at first, but I think you are right. Does anyone know Henry?

Old 06-14-2002, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will state the obvious again. This re-confirms my long held idea that our little gems are like fingerprints. They can definitely be told apart (or the same) for that matter. Always makes me think of my nm-mt T205 Cobby I returned to Norm Showers (because it was altered and trimmed) and then saw on Mike Wheats website.....and he (Mike) denied it was the same card? Yeah right....
best regards

Old 06-14-2002, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It was done in support of you - perhaps I'm naive.

Old 06-14-2002, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

Pete, you're right, and you missed a few other clues as well. On the Cobb card, there is a crease/tear on the bottom border below the white glove, just to the right of center, which shows up on the image of the Cobb in the middle row of the Mastro sheet, and the Waddell card has creasing down the left side which shows up on the Mastro sheet as well. I am 99% certain that Henry's cards are the cards from the middle row of this sheet. What a shame that somebody cut it up.

Old 06-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Just for the record. My post was meerly regarding what I see and is my observation.

NO ONE should take any part of my post and come to the conclusion I am saying Henry cut the sheet.

I don't know if he won the Mastro lot himself or it was won by another, cut apart, and sold to Yee but I will stand behind what I see in the pictures from Mastro and the eBay auctions.

Old 06-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

$3894.00 is the price w/o juice. $4478.10 w/ juice.

Old 06-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Spencer

As the winning bidder last night of this great card, I can only say that I consider myself lucky to have landed it. To me, it really doesn't matter all that much whether it was cut from a sheet or if indeed it was the same sheet from Mastro's auction. In fact, it is good enough for me if Henry Yee said these cards were not from the same sheet as Mastro's. I have known Henry awhile and strongly feel he is a straightforward guy with a lot of intergrity who just happens to have some amazing stuff. Personally speaking, if offered as a sheet, I probably would not have bid as I was only interested in the Matty. John

Old 06-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

Clearly, someone else must have used Henry's email address to reply to my question. Perhaps this mystery person thought that Henry would not make as much money if he admitted that he cut the cards from a sheet, so they made up the elaborate story about having the cards for several years, as a friendly gesture. And then this same person sent me an email expressing that they were "SHOCKED" that I had posted their email in a public forum. Shame on me.

But it could have happened...really

No, wait a minute - I know what happened. Everything Henry said was true and it was just coincidental that the Kriger card had a tear in exactly the same spot as the Kriger in the second row of the Mastro sheet - same for the damage to the Cobb...and the Marquard (yes, he pulled the auction on that one, but I still found the image and the damage was in exactly the same place as the one on the..yep,you guessed it...the second row of the Mastro sheet.

Weirder things have happened. Watch Ripley's - you'll see.

Actually, I'm being a wise-***. Here's the real explanation: Two sheets were placed exactly on top of one another many years ago. Someone drove a blunt instrument through the Kriger card, making a tear in both sheets at the same spot (the sheets were aligned perfectly). These two sheets were stored together, aligned exactly, for many years and were occasionally bent while being moved - the bends and wear thus appear in exactly the same spots.

See - it's simple!

Old 06-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Yeah, I was cautious about bidding on this, too, the Rare Mathewson on eBay. But, dammit! I did anyway!! It's my favorite depiction of Christy on a card. It's the same as the M116 Pastel Sporting Life. I did bid on it, but I came in second behind "fullcountbcc". I was ready to go a little over $2K for it. It is a gorgeous card... And, it would've looked great for the HOF display I want to put in Safeco Field here in Seattle as a tribute to Christy. Sometimes, ya just can't compete against the "big money". <sad face>

Old 06-18-2002, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Hey Dan, I'm a Christy Mathewson fan in West Seattle.

Old 06-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

If I'd had the money, I would have bid on it too. WHATEVERITIS.

Old 06-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewsom

Woo Hoo!

Really! Very cool, David. I have been following his stuff around eBay, etc, for years. Wow, and you’re local! We’ll have to grab coffee sometime!

We can start a little gathering once in a while of all these folks on Network 54, but it’ll be up in Seattle (since we have the coolest BB Stadium) and everyone else will have to fly in to hang-out with us!!

HAH!

Old 06-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

David and I have been trying to get together to meet... perhaps those of us in Seattle should try to set something up one day in the near future. We could all meet at someplace like University Trading Cards and then go out for coffee or a bite to eat.

David & Dan (and anyone else in the Seattle area) - drop me an email at jobermeyer2@attbi.com and we'll set something up!

Jeff

Old 06-19-2002, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Freeman

There are two more of each player on the sheet. (page 267 in the catalog if anyone is wondering). I'm partial to the Cy Young myself, so next time Henry decides to list his remaining lot...