NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default The DuMouchelles sale

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Barry, what can you tell us about that sale? Was it highly publicized? Did the books go cheap? Was it only baseball books or was it antique books in general? Did you get anything good?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dan

I've sent you a pdf of the listings Barry most graciously sent me.

I'm going to go through the list and take a look at the prices. Sales of certain titles were much higher than what can be found today on ebay or the auction houses.

There are some titles in there I have not seen before. (I am waiting for someone to post an image of June Rankin's 1888 Sketches of New York and Brooklyn Baseball Clubs)

Max

Old 10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Thanks Max. Looks like that was one heck of a sale.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There were many interesting aspects of the DuMouchelles sale, and it has become part of hobby folklore. First, when the owner of the collection died, the family was left to sell it, and it seemed apparent they knew nothing about it at all. Just their choice of auction house was odd, because DuMouchelles specializes in gaudy furniture and miscellaneous household knickknacks. And it is clear by the catalog that they knew nothing about the material either. There were no lot descriptions whatsoever, and an estimate could be ten times the value or 1/20 of the value. They were clueless.

And there was more than just books. There was an incredible 1858 display scorecard between the Tri-Mountain BBC and Portland, plus autographed pieces, and various other memorabilia. The cover had a picture of a T206 Wagner that was a blatant fake and the auction house had no idea. There were also quite a few books signed by Henry Chadwick, so clearly the original owner bought part of his library.

The sale was poorly publicized and people only knew about it by word of mouth. But in the end all the big players were there. Mark Rucker and I bought together, and he travelled to Detroit and did the bidding. That was actually the time when I was just getting serious about baseball books, so I didn't necessarily bid on the right ones. I don't even remember what I bought, but I did pretty well. And there weren't a ton of bargains. Most lots reached reasonable levels despite the poor quality catalog.

And to this day we still have no idea who the original owner was. But the depth and quality of the books has never even been approached since.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Lipset covered the Du Muchelle auction in the July '91 issue of The Old Judge (#39).

Old 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Max- when I got the Steve Cummings collection I split it between Rob Lifson's and Jerry Smolin's auctions (I was a free agent at that time). I gave the Rankin book to Jerry, and it was in his June 8, 2000 auction, lot #27. It has an engraved portrait of Jim Mutrie on the cover. That may be the only copy I've ever seen.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Barry

Did Steve have the Rankin book? I must have missed seeing it when I looked at his collection. I believe he did have the Ballplayer's Chronicles, and the Baseball Magazine bound set, which were truly spectacular.

Max

Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Hi Jimmy

Do you have the issue or could you send me a pdf of the Dumouchelles article?

Thanks,

Max

Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Hi Max, will make some scans today.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Max, check your email.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Max- Steve did have the Rankin book, but not the Ball Player's Chronicles. When Corey and I made 25 reprint sets in the mid-90's, Steve purchased one of those sets.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Barry

It must be getting bad for me. First of all, I can never tell that all those Honus Wagners found in attics are reprints, and now I find out I couldn't even tell a baseball book was a reprint

Thanks to Jimmy for the scan of the OJ article. Lew pointed out that the skinned Honus Wagner in the auction was a reprint.