NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default Tell me about one of your favorite cards.

Posted By: identify7

There are lots of reasons that I like my cards. Some of my favorites have survived my youthful collecting fifty years ago. Others represent trades or purchases of cards which were right for a variety of reasons. Although I do not have a Marichal that my brother spray painted the face on, I do have the following card which is among my favorites.

I have an Old Judge card of Billy Sunday. This is a popular player in a classic set. His popularity is attributable, in part, to his career after baseball. In the teens, he reportedly earned over $70,000 one year preaching the virtues of temperance. His preachings covered a span of over two decades and typically included theatrics such as incorporating a baseball slide on to the stage. He was quite successful in both fostering the 18th Amendment and bringing people to religion.

The reason that I have his card is that he was a member of the 1884 White Stockings. He contributed 4 HRs that year to their record setting season. No team hit more HRs in a season than the ’84 White Stockings; until the legendary ’27 Yankees. Sunday was a .248 lifetime hitter over his 8 year career.

This card has a medium clarity image, a bit of orange hue, six pinholes and good (probably vg+) corners. It is the pinholes which attracted me to this specific card. They are positioned in all four corners and center top and bottom. It looks to me like this card was pinned to the wall several times before it was rescued from its original home to become a captive of our hobby. It is my imagination of this card’s early history, perhaps being on a hardware store wall with other cards (we know it wasn’t a gas station); and being taken down, discussed and returned to the wall several times. Anyway, I perceive it as among my most quaint acquisitions.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

My favorite card, no matter what I pick up. one of my childhood hero's. Saw Joe play many games, some in Shea Stadium and most at old War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo, New York. Every time I look at it it reminds me of the Bills games my father and I went to. He's been gone 24 years now, but I think of him every time. 2nd would be the Red Cobby I won from Scott Gaynors auction last year.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Out of the thousands of cards I own, my favorite would be my T207 Buck Weaver. PSA 5. Anonymous back. I suppose it could be his smile, or it could be the whole Black Sox thing. who knows. I just like it. I will never sell it. Though he died 7 years before I was born, he is one of the players that I collect.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Not vintage but, 1970 Seaver. When I was about 8 years old, I had a bunch of cards scattered across the back seat of our car. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a card get sucked out the window. Seaver was by far my favorite player, so I frantically looked through my pile, & sure enough it was my Seaver. My mom knew how serious this was to me, so we walked the side of the road for what seemed like a long time until we found it. A few years later, our cat destroyed all my cards by peeing on them. I've since replaced that Seaver, & will always remember searching along the roadside for it. My favorite pre war card is the Cobb Novelty Cutlery.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

One of my favorite cards as a kid was a 1971 Lowell Palmer card with him wearing a pair of Ray Ban Balloramas. When I was 17, I was finally able to afford a pair ($100 in 1980). They survived until 1994 when I accidently stepped on them. I haven't been able to find a replacement pair since then

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Genaro

If you only knew how many cards I had to flip before I won this card.

1968 Mantle Mays Killebrew Super Stars Card

Old 03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

i like this one

Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Lucky man. I'd love to have one of those, but ahve to settle for this And his Colgan Tin Top is a pure pipe dream.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

My favorite card when I was a kid was this 1959 Topps Bill Henry, Why you ask, Well, Bill Lived in my neighborhood and his son was a southpaw pitcher on my Little league team. It took me many trips to the Utotem and many packs later before I got him. I almost traded a 56 Mantle to a kid for him.
My favorite card from my current collection is alittle older than the Henry Card.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

The kindest and patient autographer in modern hockey history. Talkative and never turned a kid away and we were persistant little monkeys.

He owned Boston in fact, the entire region.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

1956 Topps Mantle a card my father got from a pack when he was a kid
1984 Topps USFL Bobby Hebert he's from Cut Off(my hometown)

Old 03-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

1977 Topps Dale Murphy rookie card. My childhood hero and the first card I actually saved up to purchase. I think I paid all of $19 in 1982 but that took a lot of aluminum cans to recycle.

Non-BB (hockey) - 1983 Phil Housley Topps rookie card. Phil played with my older brother in HS and used to play on the rinks with me when I was young (9).

Pre-War my favorite for looks and story behind the player is the E95 Merkle. He took so much for the incident. It's like stupid Cubs players blaming Bartman for losing the series.

Bill

Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

As a 10 year old, the 1949 season was real magic for me.
I watched my team, the Yankees, dramatically beat the Red
Sox the last weekend of the season in an exciting game.
My new found hero, Johnny Lindell, hit the game winning HR
to send the Yankees into the World Series against "dem Bums"
from Brooklyn.

But, there was also another hero that us kids loved to
watch in 1949 and he was "Satchell" Paige. When we took
turns pitching (either playing Stick Ball or Base Ball),
we tried to emulate his double loop wind-up.

And, I can tell you it's like it was just yesterday, when
in the Fall of '49 early in the morning standing in line to
go into school. And, we were opening up Red-White-Blue 5 cent
Bowman packs, then a kid yells out "it's Satchell"....I got
a Paige. Then everyone of us surrounded him to see it. It
was the first time that season we were seeing the Hi# Series
cards.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

My favorite card of all-time is still the 1953 Topps Willie Mays. It is truly a surreal piece of art to me, unlike the many head shots in the set. Just a neat fielding image and when I was twelve years old, saved up my odd-job monies and was able to pick up a nice EX example for $95. Still have it today.

Funny about the Joe Namath 1966 Topps card as that is my favorite football card of all time.

DJ