NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default Ohio Photo ID Question.

Posted By: Scot

I have an old baseball photo/card and was hoping someone in the Ohio area could identify him for me. Some information is givin on back.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Wow! Is that really a woman or is it a man and he just happened to organize a woman's indoor team??

You might want to try some of the old Spalding Guides. I know there are some online and there are also some available on CD's. One of the many guides Spalding produced were for indoor baseball.

Rob M.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Wow, this may be a woman. I need more info than I thought.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If the writing on the back is correct it reads "organizer of the woman's baseball team" which doesn't necessarily have to be a woman. That sure looks like a man in the picture, but I can't be absolutely certain.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Back then, probably more often than not a woman's team was organized and coached by a man. Plus women baseball players tended to wear uniforms different then men's. On those 'sexy' 1800s tobacco card and postcards the women are in men's style uniforms for comic effect, but in real life the female uniforms tended to be much different. They often wore skirt-style pants ... The given title of 'Phyical (Education) Director' probably means he worked at a school, perhaps a high school. Most physical education directors back then, and today, were men.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Nice piece and could hold some possible historical value. I would contact the CIAA, the oldest black intercollegiate sports organization in the county. Founded in 1912 in and around the midwest (including Ohio) it is still important today. It is a NCAA Division II conference. They do have a website and might start by contacting someone there. Google: CIAA

Joshua

Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks to all for the information.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

What is the word between female and baseball? A city?? School? It may be the key

Old 09-13-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

Frank, that word looks a lot like INDOOR, if you compare the R's from the previous writing. Was the Astrodome already in place?

I just acquired my first (inexpensive, beaten and not prewar) Felices Caramela card of a past Negro Leaguer, Barney Sissell. It will be one of my favorites.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

fkw,

it looks like the word is indoor.

and it also seems like this person (guessing is a man) was a 'physical director'... maybe like a gym teacher / athletic director.

and he organized a femail indoor baseball and track team.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Obviously, it's an interesting historical item, worth the owner looking into. The way to focus the research would be to focus on Ohio high schools, where presumably they would be playing indoor ball and track. Indoor baseball was not a rare sport, played in the school gym during winter. I've seen photos of men playing the game.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The Fall scene is a bit odd. That picture brought back immediate memories - playing ball in the Fall in a flat field next to a levee. Of course, it was football at that time of the year.

There was such an incredibly huge number of town/factory teams during that period - one for almost every little town in the state - that it will be tough to i.d.