NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-24-2023, 03:45 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Default Stephen Strasburg retiring and still getting paid thru 2028

Wow
Stephen Strasburg is retiring so to complications from his injury. Has not pitched in several years

Yet

Stephen Strasburg will continue be paid $35 million annually through 2026 (with about $11.4M deferred each year).
He then will receive $26.6M in 2027, 2028 and 2029 in his owed deferred payments.
The contract was not insured, leaving the #Nats on the hook for its entirety.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-24-2023, 04:50 PM

I didn't realize that "guaranteed" contracts were guaranteed even against retirement. Wow!
Old 08-24-2023, 04:54 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

When the Nats made that foolish deal with Strasburg my gut told me it was a bad idea. Now they are stuck with with that until 2028. They should try to cut a deal and pay him off now and try an cut their losses.

As for guaranteed contracts and having to pay well after the player is retired or gone,,,,,, I encourage you to look up 'Bobby Bonilla Day: Why the NY Mets pay out $1.19M on July 1'. There are a bunch of players still getting paid and not playing.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:09 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I didn't realize that "guaranteed" contracts were guaranteed even against retirement. Wow!
It was an injury forced retirement. And the injury has to meet certain qualifications but his was and recovery attempt for 2 years etc. As a result it is guaranteed.
If he was healthy and just retired he would not get anything.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-24-2023, 05:13 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
When the Nats made that foolish deal with Strasburg my gut told me it was a bad idea. Now they are stuck with with that until 2028. They should try to cut a deal and pay him off now and try an cut their losses.

As for guaranteed contracts and having to pay well after the player is retired or gone,,,,,, I encourage you to look up 'Bobby Bonilla Day: Why the NY Mets pay out $1.19M on July 1'. There are a bunch of players still getting paid and not playing.
The Bobby Bonilla thing is funny but that is deferred money (so teams free up money in the present to spend on other players) and they pay later but some are extreme long deferment and with interest it really adds up. His I think was a 6.6 million dollar deferment and they started paying 10 years later with interest accruing from day 1.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-24-2023, 05:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

When he came up he was special, could throw a ball through a brick wall with control and had a wicked breaking ball. He had several really good years but it never quite worked out the way it was supposed to.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
The Bobby Bonilla thing is funny but that is deferred money (so teams free up money in the present to spend on other players) and they pay later but some are extreme long deferment and with interest it really adds up. His I think was a 6.6 million dollar deferment and they started paying 10 years later with interest accruing from day 1.

I remember that Captain Outrageous signed Al Hrabosky to a seemingly never-ending contract...

Strasburg's 'end' along with deGrom and now Ohtani reminds us how difficult it is to remain healthy throwing a baseball overhanded.

Let's all just be glad we got to see them for their short zeniths.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-24-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

I didn't notice it when I saw him pitch, but apparently there were concerns about his mechanics throughout his career. Likely contributed to his ongoing issues.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-24-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post

Ken Griffey Jr is the fourth highest paid player on the Reds this year and he hasn't played since 2010.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:33 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

He was a beast coming out of college, probably the biggest hyped debut in the last 15 years. He struckout 14 that night, crowd was all into it. He looked like the 2nd coming.

2-3 years later granted after surgury the Nats handled him with kid gloves limiting his innings and shutting him down even though they were headed to the Playoffs and had he pitched they probably would have won that World Series. I thought it was foolish to shut him down cuz you never know when you will get that close again.

Luckily he did, but not until 2019, then he got his ring.

But yah what could have been. Like Timmy "the Franchise" Lincecum and a few others their shelf life is limited.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:23 PM
Melissa

As a friend and I discussed this evening, he said just think of it as his World Series MVP bonus.

Great talent that was too often injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2023, 10:13 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I didn't notice it when I saw him pitch, but apparently there were concerns about his mechanics throughout his career. Likely contributed to his ongoing issues.
I remember him being compared to Mark Prior, due to mechanical issues, that might cause injuries.

Strasburg put his body through hell, and got compensated for it. I was reading how he has trouble opening doors with his right arm, and holding his children. Hopefully it will clear up, as he rests, and enjoys his long retirement.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:09 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hopefully he can find a part time job to supplement his income.

At his peak is was really good. Very Short peak and injuries derailed him like it has many others

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-26-2023, 11:01 AM
James

Got to see him pitch right behind home plate, aisle seat row 19 back in 2018 with my best bud. They played Rockies, had Harper on their team, and boy were they loaded. That game had the whole Nationals lineup, and you talk about raw all-time baseball talent on their roster. It was a late September game, they didn’t make the playoffs, it was in CO and they broke the team up. My bud died of a heart attack the next year, and of course Harper was a in Philly. I wont forget that game for many reasons.
Old 08-26-2023, 03:37 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest206 View Post
Got to see him pitch right behind home plate, aisle seat row 19 back in 2018 with my best bud. They played Rockies, had Harper on their team, and boy were they loaded. That game had the whole Nationals lineup, and you talk about raw all-time baseball talent on their roster. It was a late September game, they didn’t make the playoffs, it was in CO and they broke the team up. My bud died of a heart attack the next year, and of course Harper was a in Philly. I wont forget that game for many reasons.
Fantastic sharing thanks

And they had a strong and talented team for a few years. Funny that they won after Harper left.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I remember him being compared to Mark Prior, due to mechanical issues, that might cause injuries.

Strasburg put his body through hell, and got compensated for it. I was reading how he has trouble opening doors with his right arm, and holding his children. Hopefully it will clear up, as he rests, and enjoys his long retirement.

I could be wrong, but I read he was the antithesis of Prior. Prior was actually a guy who scouts thought had perfect mechanics coming into the draft.

He was given as an example of a pitcher who did everything right, but still got bit by the injury bug. His mechanics might have suffered later on when he was overcompensating for his earlier injuries.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:32 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I believe this contract/extension will go down as the worst in the history of baseball. Last 4 years prior to his retirement he has barely played for his team and only a few games a year

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-27-2023, 01:24 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I believe this contract/extension will go down as the worst in the history of baseball. Last 4 years prior to his retirement he has barely played for his team and only a few games a year
Probably true. 7 years and $245 million got the Nationals 8 games and 31.1 innings.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:19 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Probably true. 7 years and $245 million got the Nationals 8 games and 31.1 innings.
Scary how little for so much.
Also waste of a really good talent. When healthy he was dynamic and fun to watch.
Amazing how injuries seem to take so many pitchers now a day. Seems like more injuries now in less innings pitched then in other eras of baseball

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-27-2023, 07:35 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Scary how little for so much.

Also waste of a really good talent. When healthy he was dynamic and fun to watch.

Amazing how injuries seem to take so many pitchers now a day. Seems like more injuries now in less innings pitched then in other eras of baseball
It's a whisper in the wind, but asking kids to specialize in one sport year round is a plague.

Three sport athletes are the best quarterbacks. But powers that be are trying to make it year round.

Female soccer athletes have an increased risk of knee injuries; but soccer is a year round sport.

Baseball has been a year round sport for decades now. I threw my arm out at 15, in 2002. I played spring high school ball, summer legion baseball, and fall ball. It was too much.

Instead of rolling back year round sports, which have become money making machines on the backs of young kids, we ask doctors to improve modern medicine.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Jay Shumsky

Apparently he's not retiring yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...s/70788914007/
Old 09-08-2023, 04:37 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
yes apparently being screwed over. Washington is on the hook because the contract is not insured now they are trying to play hard ball and want him to take less money to retire and to stop attempting to comeback(even though he cannot)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-08-2024, 06:27 PM
Jay Shumsky

Looks like Strasburg and the Nationals worked something out so he really is retiring this time.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:17 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
With an interest rate related to the Mets profits (at the time) from Bernie Madoff.

And, Bonilla has a second deferred payment each year from the Orioles.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:06 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Looks like Strasburg and the Nationals worked something out so he really is retiring this time.
Yes, the local news station mentioned a buyout. Too bad it was not a personal services contract. They could then use him as a beer vendor and rep him for show signings.

To paraphrase Mr. T: "I pity the fool that paid that 5 or 6 figure sum for that special, refractor, crosscut, prism, chrome rookie card" NOT!

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”