NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default My graded card storage

So now that some major remodeling is done, and I actually have a few graded cards I figured I'd dust off a project I'd left in the garage for a few years. I don't recall how many it's supposed to hold, but it will be plenty for now. (Nobody laugh at the tiny graded collection ok? )

At the time I was planning on going into making custom storage furniture for collectibles, but there didn't seem to be much interest. Plus shipping something like this would be challenging.

Steve B

Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Doug C.

It would be really neat to have an end table that you could store your cards in. You could look through your collection without having to leave the couch. I imagine it would be pretty safe too. I doubt if anyone broke in that they would think to look inside of a table for anything valuable. Nice!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Awesome piece, heck I would buy one if you ever to decide to make any.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtjoy View Post
Awesome piece, heck I would buy one if you ever to decide to make any.

I would also!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Great Idea. I'd probably buy one too...Well, except for the fact that I've got small kids. It needs a lock, and some sort of protection for non-graded stuff, as many people have a little of both, and will generally keep both graded and non-graded together for sorting purposes. When it comes to non graded cards, I'm not too keen on someone putting drinks, pretty much, right on top of my cards.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks guys! I made this one about 10 years ago, and my woodworking has gotten a lot better since then.

The dividers are a removeable insert, so it could be made to hold both graded and ungraded or postcards with a change of insert. I could probably figure inserts for other stuff too. Or moveable dividers.

Some protection against spills like a gasket or something could be done, although I've never had a spill bad enough to run around the overhang.

I wouldn't rely on it as a hiding place. The upper section is a lot taller than almost any other end table. It sort of stands out that way, one of the things I wasn't happy with aesthetically.

For a shippable version I was thinking of a drawer and removeable legs. That would get the package size down to something manageable.

Right now the workshop has no heat. I've done a bit of woodworking in the cold, and it's not much fun. A nice 25 degrees out right now, better than the -5 yesterday. I'll also have to see how much time the baby allows me. (I'm a stay at home dad) I'll probably figure out how much the wood costs and see about making a few over the summer. I had my old price calculations inside, but like any other 10 year old price they didn't seem accurate.

Steve B
Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Love it! Super cool idea.
Bob
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Bill

That is a nice piece. I would buy one as well.

Life Member of Disabled American Veterans Chapter 7 Little Rock, Arkansas.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Clayton

Default Very cool Steve

That is an awesome idea and it came out very nice. I'd be interested in one too........thanks for showing that. I showed this to my wife and she said "wow-that is a really nice floor" .

Clayton
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Bilko Glasier

That is really cool and i agree it would be a great place to hide stuff in because if anyone breaks into your house im sure the last thing they are gonna do is check if the end tables have any secret compartments.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Steve Birmingham

Please don't think that this provides any security during a break-in. Once it;s next to other furniture it's obvious there's a lot of extra room under the top. Maybe a dumb kid grabbing laptops etc would pass it by, but a pro wouldn't. I'd hate to sell any come spring/summer and have stuff lost in a break-in.

Steve B
Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
That is an awesome idea and it came out very nice. I'd be interested in one too........thanks for showing that. I showed this to my wife and she said "wow-that is a really nice floor" .

Clayton
Thanks, the floor is new, rustic maple from lumber liquidators. Not the best company to buy from for DIY, but contractors know what problems to watch for.

Different lots, different manufacturing plants , stuff like that. You can get color mismatches and even width/thickness mismatches. And they aren't good about refunds/returns etc.

Steve B
Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Dave M

Sorry to verge off-topic a bit here, but I didn't think this warranted it's own thread.

What pages do you prefer to put your T-cards in? The 15 Card pages or the 20 Card pages

Is there something vastly different with one or the other that I should be concerned with?