NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Default babe ruth & Lou gehrig dual auto help

I am thinking of making a huge purchess. The item is this dual cut auto of babe ruth and lou gehrig the autos are just beautiful. its has been JSA authenticated and it says so on the reverse. the seller wants $14,500 for it what is this thing acutally worth?

Last edited by sportscollector; 02-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Don Hontz

Default Gehrig Ruth Auto

Well if it was on a regular piece of paper, I would say $6-7000----but this is from a card company and alot of true autograph collectors hate these things----but it is a 1of1--according to the card company---I would say in that world of card autos---maybe $8-9000----just my opinion--good luck, Don
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Richard Simon

If you want a Ruth-Gehrig autograph on an album page, index card or whatever you can certainly get it for less than $14K.
I have NEVER been a fan of this type of card and think that just because a card company calls it a 1/1 it does not make it special.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM

The sad realization is that even though the signature gets less out of the slab, it will hit market with a premium since it is from a product. I don't personally understand it myself but I've spoken with several collectors and some say it is the chase, being able to say you own the cards on the front of a box or the big hits in a product... To be objective I get it, I don't agree with it... And with that said, I know nothing of the value and will not chime in on that.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Go to a Michael's and buy a card. Cut a hole in it and put in any autograph you want. Number it one of one and enjoy. If it is really nice I might buy it.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

its not a chase card. it was sent in and was encapulated . leaf has a programe ware you can take any cut signature and have incased and certifed by JSA or PSA DNA. The signatures look to be in mint condition. what is a good price to pay for this considering the sigs are in very nice shape
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscollector View Post
its not a chase card. it was sent in and was encapulated . leaf has a programe ware you can take any cut signature and have incased and certifed by JSA or PSA DNA. The signatures look to be in mint condition. what is a good price to pay for this considering the sigs are in very nice shape
That sounds really weird of them to do, but I would stay in line with what the experts said which seems to be $6k~$8k
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Take what it would cost to buy the cut, add in the cost to have Leaf turn it into a card, and that's your value, because you could do the same thing yourself. You might have to wait until the next year to do so, since I think they have a limit on 1 of each signature or signature combo per year to maintain the "1 of 1" status, but it's not like this is the only Ruth/Gehrig cut that will find its way into a card ever. Based on what the others are saying, if you can get the cut for $7k, paying another $7k to have it in a card seems like a very high premium. Personally, I'd rather have two Ruth/Gehrig cuts than 1 in a card/slab
Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

are thre any premium for the card since the signatures are in really nice condition? check this ruth gehrig cut on ebay seller is asking 27k for it and its just a cut by it self. here is the ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-Mint-B...item43b8b32094
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM

I can ask $5000 for my SGC 10 Mantle, will I ever get it? No... But I can ask for that much...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned

whats the auto in the ebay auction worth?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM

There is one available for 1/3 of the price and it hasn't sold yet... I reaffirm that the earlier range of $6k-$8k is very reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Leaf-Cu...item19d68d45d8
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

thanks for the help sean. I think i rather have the 2012 leaf cut has better eye appeal then the other one dont like the third signature on the 2011. so if i can get the 2012 leaf cut ruth gehrig auto for 6 to 8k i will have paid a fair price?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM

I would say so... E-bay BIN's are always very high, I know mine are...
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
are thre any premium for the card since the signatures are in really nice condition?
The sigs are bold but there's an obvious crease right through the middle of 'em. You could pick up a semi-beat-up-but-readable baseball signed by those guys for that price if you wait for the right auction.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
are thre any premium for the card since the signatures are in really nice condition? check this ruth gehrig cut on ebay seller is asking 27k for it and its just a cut by it self. here is the ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-Mint-B...item43b8b32094
The seller is ASKING,,,. Asking prices on ebay are MEANINGLESS. Completed sale prices are the only thing that matters.
Actually I like Shelly's idea, make your own.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
its not a chase card. it was sent in and was encapulated . leaf has a programe ware you can take any cut signature and have incased and certifed by JSA or PSA DNA.
Another classic idea to separate a collector and his money by supplying something that is supposed to have value. But do you think it really does?
Do you really think that the services rendered by this Leaf deal are worth $7K?
Man I would rather buy some swamp land in Florida
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-24-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

yeah i see the crease but it does not distract from the sigs to me i think the signatures are just beautiful on this piece. seller wont go lower then $12k for it. I offered $7500. Those Gehrig and ruth auto's are very nice regardless of the paper crease.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Another classic idea to separate a collector and his money by supplying something that is supposed to have value. But do you think it really does?
Do you really think that the services rendered by this Leaf deal are worth $7K?
Man I would rather buy some swamp land in Florida
i do agree with you it should not add 7k in value but the way it is displayed in that case makes it look very nice but not a 7k premium thats for sure. hopefully the seller will come down more. I offered $7500 because i really like it
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I completely agree with Dan.... and would definitely rather hold out for a Ball. You could actually get a decent one at that price.

That crease would always bug me as well.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Jeff

IMO the seller did you a favor by turning down your offer.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectbaseball View Post
The sigs are bold but there's an obvious crease right through the middle of 'em. You could pick up a semi-beat-up-but-readable baseball signed by those guys for that price if you wait for the right auction.
And I wonder whose signature that is below Gehrig's, that was erased?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

the seller never accepted my offer but what ever the case maybe with that card those auto's of ruth and gehrig are extremly nice and attractive. I wanted to get something like that and frame it with a 16x20 Ruth and Gehrig photo it would make a great display piece. I will keep searching until I find the right one
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
the seller never accepted my offer but what ever the case maybe with that card those auto's of ruth and gehrig are extremly nice and attractive. I wanted to get something like that and frame it with a 16x20 Ruth and Gehrig photo it would make a great display piece. I will keep searching until I find the right one
Patience will pay off for you and IMO get a vintage 8x10 rather than a modern 16x20 to frame it with.
--
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Also, nice signature or not, I don't understand the need to get a cut mounted (framed) in a card when you're going to turn around and frame the card/cut again? It seems like you're complicating the framing process and adding additional expense to achieve the same end result?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

As, David Hannum, said "There is a sucker born every minute.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM

You'd know, Shelly. Your business used to depend on those suckers.

The guy came here for some advice. Why must you insult him?

Last edited by David Atkatz; 02-24-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
You'd know, Shelly. Your business used to depend on those suckers.

The guy came here for some advice. Why must you insult him?
Do you mean, Mr. Atkatz, the same way you insulted Shelly about dyslexia?

Or the same way you insulted me about my low-end Tom Tresh collection?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Patience will pay off for you and IMO get a vintage 8x10 rather than a modern 16x20 to frame it with.
great idea I will do that if and when i pick up a nice cut auto of ruth and gehrig. I have been looking for one for a while this one was one of the nicest auto's i have ever seen but i wont over pay.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Banned

how much would a orginal 8x10 of ruth and gehrig cost?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post

For the millionth f*#king time, Chris. It's Dr. Atkatz, to you.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post

Nah, not the same way at all. The three of us--you, me, Shelly--know (and despise) one another. We'll be insulting one another--as far as I can see--until one of us dies.

Sportscollector is completely unknown to Shelly. The insult was totally uncalled for. (And, BTW, it's not the first time he's insulted some newbie whose only "crime" was not being as educated as Shelly seems to think he himself is.)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Chris, does anyone have a high-end Tom Tresh collection?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

To the OP:

You may want to start another thread, or perhaps just deal with a few people in this thread through private messages. As you can see, you've got three members on here whose juvenile squabbling will drag this into a cesspool. It's happened many times before.

Ken
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

What's wrong with Tom Tresh? I have 3 signed magazines and a signed topps card of him that I love to look at.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

My first baseball card purchase had a Tom Tresh in it - 1965 cello rack pack. As far as I was concerned, everyone in that pack was a star.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but those 'leaf executive' slabbed cards, to my knowledge, are NOT from Boxes/Pack pulls. If you have a JSA or PSA certified item, you can sent it to Leaf for like $40 and they make it into a card and slab it. If your player is the first, it's a 1/1 masterpiece.

They take advantage of the 1/1 craze, along with creating the illusion that these are pack pulled, which they are not. Pack pulled items seem to go for way more, like Historic Autographs or UD Leg Cuts.

When I was in the hunt for a Ruth auto, I was watching one particular auto that sold for $2700 w/ TPA. A month later, it was a leaf masterpiece and at auction went for $4300ish.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

From what I get out of what you just wrote, you would think it foolish to buy that item. If I am wrong please tell me.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM

To me, it's worth whatever a Ruth/Gehrig signed cut/album page is worth, as if it was a loose item with a PSA/DNA or JSA Slab or LOA. It is not worth the kind of money being thrown around for Pack based inserts, like UD Leg cuts, etc.....
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

+1
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Here's the link to make these 'custom' cards:

http://www.leaftradingcards.com/executive_cuts.php
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

So, does the erased signature at the bottom detract from the value? Perhaps that 'Leaf' framing was done to mask that part?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyconform View Post
To me, it's worth whatever a Ruth/Gehrig signed cut/album page is worth, as if it was a loose item with a PSA/DNA or JSA Slab or LOA. It is not worth the kind of money being thrown around for Pack based inserts, like UD Leg cuts, etc.....
What ..Upper deck is making cards of pieces of someone's leg?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyconform View Post
Here's the link to make these 'custom' cards:

http://www.leaftradingcards.com/executive_cuts.php
that's very smart of leaf to take advantage of the 1/1 crazy and generate some income. it's minimal work as those generic cut-outs look to be butt-ugly and don't even have a photo of the player. not gonna comment on why anyone would pay 1.5x-2x after the cut goes through that process.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 AM

Yep....and people ARE trying to take advantage. Just ebay 'leaf executive' and you'll see a ton of cheap 10-30 dollar autos listed for $100+.

They buy cheap, get the slab done for ~40 or whatever it is, and then try to take advantage of the 1/1 thing and ask a ton.

In most cases, I don't think it works, but for some cases, like an old album page in rough condition, it helps present the auto better. I would never cut up a perfectly good letter or photo for this tho.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

You are only looking at the sports side. They have every field covered. It is smart for the person who gets lucky to have one done from them. He or she would double up on there investment. I still can not understand why anyone would even think of buying one? It was like the UDA card for $85000. You could have bought all four autographs for around 10,000 and they would have been authentic on top of that.

Last edited by shelly; 02-25-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Richard Simon

To bring up old PT Barnum again:
"there is a sucker born every minute."
And if I may add to that quote,,
"there is always someone or something around to take advantage of that sucker."
--
Old 02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned

evern though i never did buy this ruth gehrig auto the signatures did look very nice and it displayed very well. no its not worth what the seller wanted witch was 14,500 then he went to 12k. I would have paid $7500 for it and then had it framed with a nice photo of Ruth and Gehrig to have in PC. those auto's were some of the most clear and vibrant ruth gehrig autos i have seen on a cut. I wonder If PSA would grade those autos a 9? then it would be worth a ton
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

why would grading increase the value? we all have eyes and can see the boldness of the autos. grading of the autos is as big of a scam as the custom made 1/1 cards. dont trade one scam for another.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
why would grading increase the value? we all have eyes and can see the boldness of the autos. grading of the autos is as big of a scam as the custom made 1/1 cards. dont trade one scam for another.
+1