NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Patrick N.

Default You would think...(Memory Lane)

You would think they would have the time for a back scan, not to mention the "check out our other items" link in their text description is broken. Absolutely pathetic, they should team up with 707 for scans and you'd have a match made in heaven

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-E90-1-AMER-...item518ed79813

Last edited by mintacular; 02-26-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Larry

Default Memory Lane's performance

My one experience in consigning (rather than buying from Memory Lane) was distinctly unsatisfactory--I consigned a '54 Bowman Ted Williams in PSA 7, which I believed had 3 NrMt-Mt corners, with very good centering, and was told they would seek a bump to 7.5, since it had been purchased by me at a Rosement show before PSA ever even adopted the procedure. It was obviously that they never did so, and the description of the card in their catologue might be described as meager at best. Cost me $500 plus, I believe, leaving them not very high on my list of autioneers.

Please feel free to comment, especially J.P Cohen, if he is a member!

Larry
Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Robert Williams

If they used the phrase "BID TO OWN!", or something to that affect, then you more than got your moneys worth!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default J.p. ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
My one experience in consigning (rather than buying from Memory Lane) was distinctly unsatisfactory--I consigned a '54 Bowman Ted Williams in PSA 7, which I believed had 3 NrMt-Mt corners, with very good centering, and was told they would seek a bump to 7.5, since it had been purchased by me at a Rosement show before PSA ever even adopted the procedure. It was obviously that they never did so, and the description of the card in their catologue might be described as meager at best. Cost me $500 plus, I believe, leaving them not very high on my list of autioneers.

Please feel free to comment, especially J.P Cohen, if he is a member!

Larry
J.P is not a member. He could be if he wants to though. He doesn't care for our quaint little community too much. Even Marshall Fogel couldn't be his point man on here and make it all better. Personally, he's never done anything wrong to me.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Personally, he's never done anything wrong to me.

Yes, but then again, you're not a widow or an orphan looking to invest!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
J.P is not a member. He could be if he wants to though. He doesn't care for our quaint little community too much. Even Marshall Fogel couldn't be his point man on here and make it all better. Personally, he's never done anything wrong to me.
Speaking of Marshall, how's his Collector's Association thingamajig working out? I know he's more than half-way through his one year presidency of the organization or something like that.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Personally, [JP Cohen] never done anything wrong to me.
You would definitely be in the minority. In order to be in the minority you would have to be someone who avoids his auctions. You could also not be one of the people who contributed to the 24 million dollar pool of funds he participated in raising and keeping via his fraudulent charitable telemarketing scheme in which he was raising money to help police officers, fire fighters, vets and sick children.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my understanding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Speaking of Marshall, how's his Collector's Association thingamajig working out? I know he's more than half-way through his one year presidency of the organization or something like that.
My understanding, though I could be mistaking a bit, was that they had the first meeting of around 25 hand selected hobby folks at the last National (I wasn't included, darn the luck) and Marshall spoke about the Association to be formed. It was truly going to clean up the hobby!! I think they were supposed to come up with around 140k to start the thing. I believe they only fell about 140k short. Also, those hand selected folks were supposed to spread the word (it was spread all over me) and then bring every one back for the second meeting. After rounding ALL interested parties up, and regrouping, they had less than they started with. I sort of think that is how it ended up, with a thud.....
Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Jeff

...not with a bang, but with a whimper...........

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
My understanding, though I could be mistaking a bit, was that they had the first meeting of around 25 hand selected hobby folks at the last National (I wasn't included, darn the luck) and Marshall spoke about the Association to be formed. It was truly going to clean up the hobby!! I think they were supposed to come up with around 140k to start the thing. I believe they only fell about 140k short. Also, those hand selected folks were supposed to spread the word (it was spread all over me) and then bring every one back for the second meeting. After rounding ALL interested parties up, and regrouping, they had less than they started with. I sort of think that is how it ended up, with a thud.....
But there was stationary! And impotent threats!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default totally forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
But there was stationary! And impotent threats!
Alas, the stationary! I almost forgot.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Larry

I'd like you guys to consider this follow-up to my earlier post re Memory Lane: J.P. Cohen was advised of that earlier post, and took the trouble to contact me by e-mail, in the spirit of being accessible to discuss the problems experienced by me, from my perspective, in connection with the consignment of the '54 Bowman Ted Willliams. I followed up with a telephone call to him at his invitation, since I've never been one to be anything but up front in my dealings with anyone (get to know me well enough, and you guys won't have any doubt that I at least honestly speak my mind either). We at least had an opportunity to clear the air and speak frankly to one another at length on the subject. I do think that Mr. Cohen and Memory Lane, in fairness, deserve some significant credit for being accessible and attempting to resolve difficulties, where perhaps a lot of auction houses would not.

Larry
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Wow kudos to JP for reaching out.

I had a major problem with Hunt auctions complained and heard nothing. I had consigned to them a ton of stuff last year. They offered to spread it out over a number of auctions, which I did not object to. I did recieve a modest advance. The problem was once the sales exceeded the advance they just lotted stuff together to blow it out. There was often no rhyme or reason to the lotting of materials, prewar with post war, high grade with low, non sport and sports mixed together. needless to say I got crushed on the total sales figure. i sent David hunt emails and a letter and never heard a word. I personally will never deal with them again. i have not done the show at valley forge since then and never will. if it were not for the good will Cheryl has with many dealers I doubt many people would set up anymore. Also I called about an antique show at the Valley Forge Center where the hunt show is located. 10x20 booth $375. A lot cheaper than the Hunt price but they claimed they couldn't afford to give a bigger discount on tables to the dealers HAHAHA.

Last edited by glynparson; 03-01-2011 at 11:15 AM.