NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Mark Fox

Default PSA stickers on balls frustration

So I've finally, sorta, maybe narrowed my current autograph focus down to signed vintage baseballs, and I am considering any balls pre-1980 to be vintage. So maybe I use the term vintage a little loosely but that's beside the point.

The only way to determine what year(s) a particular ball was made, when comparing balls from the same commissioner, is by examining the company stamp/logo on the ball, and guess where PSA just LOVES to place their "discretely located" stickers...right on the company logo/stamp. There are many autographed balls that spark my interest, but I can’t determine an accurate age of the ball because of the sticker.

This is proving to be quite frustrating as I try to pursue my interest.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Richard Simon

Another beef to add to the list about PSA.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Wayne Walker

That is so stupid. I hope people read these threads and resist the urge to have PSA/DNA put their ugly ass sticker on auto'd items.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM

That's what happens when the submitter chooses the sticker to be placed on the item versus the LOA.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS View Post
That's what happens when the submitter chooses the sticker to be placed on the item versus the LOA.
They still have the option with the letter to have a sticker put on it unfortunately.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

putting a sticker on autographed pieces was just a bad idea to start with.

anything applied to an item can be taken off regardless what they say about it being tamperproof. all it does it wreck a piece and makes it look like a billboard advertisement.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

I could take a look at some of the baseballs for you and help date them.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Too late for this baseball...

(Photo taken January 22, 2012. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Too late for this baseball...

(Photo taken January 22, 2012. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
probably one of the stupidest thing I ever saw. I stumbled into a signing with Willie Davis a few years back before he passed. I had him sign a ball and shook his hand, then they asked if I wanted a PSA authentication? ($7 @ that time)...NOW WTF would I want a stupid authentication sticker, when I just saw the man sign the ball if front of my own eyes????too F'ing stupid for reason
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

There was a beautiful Van Mungo signed picture (I think it was a magazine page, been a while) that I really wanted to buy. I'm not into autographs but this was a real nice one. The only drawback was PSA put their lousy sticker right on the front and it wasn't even "tastefully" done, the damn thing was crooked!

I went back and found it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAN-LINGLE-M...item53edc26d65

Sold for $42. I would have paid more for it becauuse of the great pose and rich photography had it not been wrecked by PSA. Someone should be held responsible for ruining a real nice piece with that stupid sticker!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
There was a beautiful Van Mungo signed picture (I think it was a magazine page, been a while) that I really wanted to buy. I'm not into autographs but this was a real nice one. The only drawback was PSA put their lousy sticker right on the front and it wasn't even "tastefully" done, the damn thing was crooked!

I went back and found it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAN-LINGLE-M...item53edc26d65

Sold for $42. I would have paid more for it becauuse of the great pose and rich photography had it not been wrecked by PSA. Someone should be held responsible for ruining a real nice piece with that stupid sticker!
I've removed more than a couple such stickers from pieces I have purchased if I haven't been able to hide them under framing or matting.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I always heard bad things about the ink coming up when the stickers are removed. Since it is a magazine page I was gambling that the sticker would remove ink, or if not, leave a nasty residue. I would think that it wouldn't be too bad removing a sticker from a photograph or ball but a 70 year-old magazine is another story. Just seemed too much of pain to have to go through when it shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Bill Panagopulos

Regrettably, they apparently vandalize everything they handle with their stickers - too bad.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Default PSA stickers on equpment

I personally think this is one of the worst ideas/trends to ever hit our hobby.
I hate 'em and mostly refuse to own any in my personal collection. To me it defaces the collectible, FWIW...
Old 08-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Richard Simon

Defaces is a kind word for what that sticker does to your collectible, I was thinking more like F---- up.
And good to see you back here Bill P.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-18-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Wayne Walker

I too concur that these are ugly, and I won't purchase an item with one of them. In most cases, I think it is more appropriate to castigate the owner who asked and paid PSA to do this to an item. One does not have to use a TPA (though I understand why they do), and one does not have to request a sticker (I don't get at all why people do). So, in most cases, I blame the submitter for defacing the item.

In this case, however, I do blame PSA for the placement on a stamp. Poor choice on their part.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all