NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Chuck Tapia

Excellent points Schleprock... except "Tempted to sell it all and buy an amazing condo somewhere"

IMHO, Condos are a complete waste of money especially for investments. A good rule of thumb is, if you ain't buying dirt, it ain't Real Estate. The association fees will kill ya. If it's not for an investment, save up until you have a 25% deposit for your dream home where you want to die. It's really that simple.

As per Fudd, the real estate guy
Old 05-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Jim Murphy

3 years ago I took everything and put it in an auction and received about 30% more than I hoped for. Took the money and brought a house at the Jersey shore on the water.

didn't buy anything for a year, then started again but was more specific to what I am buying
Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
3 years ago I took everything and put it in an auction and received about 30% more than I hoped for. Took the money and brought a house at the Jersey shore on the water.

didn't buy anything for a year, then started again but was more specific to what I am buying
NICE TOUCH Murph!
Old 05-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Excellent points Schleprock... except "Tempted to sell it all and buy an amazing condo somewhere"

IMHO, Condos are a complete waste of money especially for investments. A good rule of thumb is, if you ain't buying dirt, it ain't Real Estate. The association fees will kill ya. If it's not for an investment, save up until you have a 25% deposit for your dream home where you want to die. It's really that simple.

As per Fudd, the real estate guy
Too simplistic of an answer.....if it weren't, I wouldn't have sold my Toronto condo 8 years after I purchased it for a $75K profit after legal/closing costs etc.

In addition, to some (like a City boy such as myself) a high rise condo in a cosmopolitan city is a dream home location. Ticky-tack suburban homes...no thanks! Country living? Nice to vacation to, but to live...no thanks.

To each their own of course, and every market is different.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 05-07-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2015, 12:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Too simplistic of an answer.....if it weren't, I wouldn't have sold my Toronto condo 8 years after I purchased it for a $75K profit after legal/closing costs etc.

In addition, to some (like a City boy such as myself) a high rise condo in a cosmopolitan city is a dream home location. Ticky-tack suburban homes...no thanks! Country living? Nice to vacation to, but to live...no thanks.

To each their own of course, and every market is different.
Absolutely correct... it all depends on the geography and specific real estate market in question. Seattle is "gold" right now, and a majority of condo owners are thriving and/or realizing big profits.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It all depends on where/how you want to live. You aren't going to buy 'dirt' in Manhattan or central San Francisco, for example. Also, when you reach a certain point in life having to maintain a house loses its charm. My wife and I have about had it after nearly 20 years. The last major repair [sewer main line at $10K] is the last one I ever want to do.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-11-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It all depends on where/how you want to live. You aren't going to buy 'dirt' in Manhattan or central San Francisco, for example. Also, when you reach a certain point in life having to maintain a house loses its charm. My wife and I have about had it after nearly 20 years. The last major repair [sewer main line at $10K] is the last one I ever want to do.
I hear ya Exhibit, I spent 60K with remodeling 3 bathrooms, 7 Patio doors, shutters and Blinds already this year...and that's before anything has broke....and you know that's coming.. A house is hardly an investment, but a place to put down roots, hence the word Real Estate. I made $250,000 on a condo that I sold in 2004 near the height of the market. The poor bastard that bought it from me is still struggling to make his money back, so how did that "investment" go for him? I put the money back into where I live now and have never regretted it, despite making 150,000 then losing 300,000, now back up again. I really don't care about the money, It's almost paid. I will reiterate. A condo is NOT an investment. Neither is a home, it's simply a place to live and put down roots. Many people have made 1000's and millions in the "game". They have also lost everything, wit 2007-2009, so I guess I just choose to play it safe. Obviously, there are different opinions on the matter, but this has allowed me to sleep just fine at night, while knowing I'll leave a prime piece of real estate to my heirs.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

I love my condo in downtown Seattle. I know this is an un-American thought, but life is about more than making money.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 AM
C@rl Greenfeld

How did this become a real estate discussion? Lol
Old 05-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh528 View Post
How did this become a real estate discussion? Lol

It's the Real Estate with Fudd Hour (The man who knows the most about nothing), after Bam Bam sells his entire collection

I'll be taking you questions right here. Leon will open up a new category it will be so popular....NOT

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-12-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Jeffrey

Over the last few years I have narrowed my card/autograph down significantly and started prioritizing quality of collection instead of wide scope. It has been good for me.

Though, I have more stuff I'd like to sell, but its stuff that isn't worth the effort (lots of $10 autographed photos or personalized stuff)
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
It's the Real Estate with Fudd Hour (The man who knows the most about nothing), after Bam Bam sells his entire collection

I'll be taking you questions right here. Leon will open up a new category it will be so popular....NOT
You and my girlfriend would get along well. She is all about permanence and making money on investments. Real estate and investments are her hobby. I get it, but it's not for me.