NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Dave_Berg

Default I was there!

Anybody have any neat " I was there" encounters/ stories? I'll throw one out that was epic for me. Was visiting a friend who had recently moved to S.F.
He happened to have tickets for us to go to a concert... I'd never heard of the guy but loved rock. So June 17th, 1975 we went to a show at the famous Winterland Ballroom. What did I witness as well as a great show? The recording of arguably the greatest "live" album ever...." Frampton Comes Alive"

Last edited by Stonepony; 06-29-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:38 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I know that my British uncle saw the Beatles perform live in the early 60s (before they became famous). He saw their original drummer (Pete Best). It is believed that the reason he was replaced (with Ringo) was due to him being so good-looking and getting the most attention (John and Paul couldn't stand it.)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not a big event but cool.

Grew up a huge Springsteen fan and always wanted to see the Stony Pony in Asbury Park. (Some dude on this chain may know it well.) One night about 6-7 years ago my wife and I were driving down the Garden State Parkway to some shore town for dinner. Traffic was terrible (for a change) and the next exit was Asbury Park. We decided to get off and find a restaurant there. Great dinner, lovely July night, and when we were done we talk a walk on the Boardwalk. I looked up and there was the Stone Pony. Not a grand structure to put it mildly. Pretty plain. We walked over to grab a beer but they were ticketing people for a 10pm show. We got wrist bands but after a few minutes decided to abandon ship and just walk back to the car. We walked alongside the Stone Pony and in the back parking lot there was a guy all by himself leaning into the trunk of a really cool 1960 something Mustang. I started teasing my wife that it was Bruce and we kept walking. Finally some older man cleaning the parking lot started yelling and waving "Hey Bruce. . .hey Bruce." We walked back towards the bar behind him laughing. He went in a side door and we turned around to leave. When we walked back past his car we saw he left the trunk open. We went back to the side door, banged on it, told some security guard Bruce had left his trunk open, and he came out and walked back with us to his car. Let's just say the pupils in his eyes were real small. Might explain the trunk. Nice guy and I came up with absolutely nothing of note or importance to say to him in the 50 seconds we were together.

So I finally got to the Stone Pony and met Bruce on my first visit. Not many people can say that. He did come on and play at 1 am for an hour (with Sean Penn???!!!) but I was in bed by then.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-29-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I was at the Red Sox game after the marathon bombing. Had tickets for months just happened to be that date.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

What do Warren Spahn and Magic Johnson have in common?

In 1977 Warren went to a Brewers game at County Stadium against the Yankees.

In 1990 Magic went to a Bill Cosby movie in Century City.

Although neither one knows it, both were sitting directly behind Fr@nk Burke++.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-29-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
What do Warren Spahn and Magic Johnson have in common?

In 1977 Warren went to a Brewers game at County Stadium against the Yankees.

In 1990 Magic went to a Bill Cosby movie in Century City.

Although neither one knows it, both were sitting directly behind Fr@nk Burke++.
The thing that stands out to me here is that you and Magic Johnson saw Ghost Dad in the theater! Were you the only two in the theater?
Old 06-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Richard Simon

Jim Bunning perfect game.
Janis Joplin live.
In the same place ,,, Shea Stadium.

And Hendrix at MSG.
Muhammad Ali walking up Broadway with his entourage. The street crowd parted like the Red Sea .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-29-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
The thing that stands out to me here is that you and Magic Johnson saw Ghost Dad in the theater! Were you the only two in the theater?
Ghost Dad indeed.

I had a date night with my 6 year old daughter and Magic was accompanied by two children as well.

It wasn't SRO, but the five of us were not alone.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Ghost Dad indeed.

I had a date night with my 6 year old daughter and Magic was accompanied by two children as well.

It wasn't SRO, but the five of us were not alone.

I'm just impressed you got better seats than the legends each time.

A little wow, Frank.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I'm just impressed you got better seats than the legends each time.

A little wow, Frank.
Ray,

Our choice was to sit in front of Magic or behind him.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Ray,

Our choice was to sit in front of Magic or behind him.

LOL!

Actually more like LMHAOOTF!

nothing like a little 'back' Magic, huh?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I was at the first ever interleague 'subway series' game in 1997 at The Stadium…

subwayseries1997.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:21 PM
And*y Quig!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I was at the first ever interleague 'subway series' game in 1997 at The Stadium…

Attachment 278536
Me too. Good one. Dave Mlicki shutout ... Todd Hundley stole home. 6-0, good guys.

Saw Simon & Garfunkel's 1981 Central Park reunion with 400,000 close friends, except not really if you read the severely revised crowd estimates for all the Great Lawn shows ... more like 100,000+. They established how many people fit on and around the Great Lawn by, you know, counting them.

Also, sadly, I experienced 9/11 a very short distance from the World Trade Center.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 PM
D.an Jackso.n

I saw Mike Schmidt hit 4 HRs in a game at Wrigley Field in 18-16 affair at age 9 in April 1976. Drove up with my dad, Grandfather and cousins from Kankakee, IL where they lived. Still remember his last home run landing in the basket in left center.

Saw Bob Forsch throw no-hitter in April 1978 in St. Louis with my dad and brother at age 11. In the bleachers.

Since this is kind of a music theme...

Saw Bon Jovi open up for Ratt in St. Louis about 1983 or so. Can't make this stuff up. Only reason I mention is that Bon Jovi was opening band and obviously ended up making it much bigger than Ratt. Still love Ratt "Out of the Cellar" record though.

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 07-05-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Joe

I once sat next to Art Garfunkel and Jack Nicholson at a Yankees game in the early 80s. Chatted with them during the whole game, but it was a distraction as many people bothered them for autographs. May seem like an odd couple, but they starred together in the movie "Carnal Knowledge". (good movie, btw)

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 07-05-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Barry Sloate

First concert I ever went to was The Beatles, September 20, 1964, Paramount Theatre, NYC. I was twelve years old.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 AM

Default I was there...

when Gregg Zaun called his shot in the 1999 Hall-of-Fame game at Doubleday Field.

It was amazing!

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I was on the patio of the Governor's Mansion on Island Beach State Park, N.J. in the early 1970's while surf fishing.The same place Christie closed down to have a private beach for a day. Caught a 5 lb Stripe Bass that day from the surf

Last edited by rgpete; 07-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I was on the patio of the Governor's Mansion on Island Beach State Park, N.J. in the early 1970's while surf fishing.The same place Christie closed down to have a private beach for a day. Caught a 5 lb Stripe Bass that day from the surf

I was really surprised that no one tried to 'save' him by pushing him back into the water.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I was really surprised that no one tried to 'save' him by pushing him back into the water.

Maybe no Rip Tide
Old 07-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Ronald Glenn

Default All Star Game

Went to the 89 All Star Game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allstar 001.jpg (80.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Default I Was There!

I attended the 2/2/09, NY knicks vs LA Lakers game played at Madison Square Garden. Kobe Bryant scored 61 pts that night, breaking the record for most pts scored by a player in a basketball game at the garden. I saved the ticket and had it slabbed. It just happened to be the Knicks 24th home game (K24), Kobe's initials and jersey # is on the ticket.

I saved the Daily News coverage of the game, and a short time later pulled an "Exquisite Collection" #/10 inscription card. It is inscribed by Kobe and Lebron referencing points scored. Lebron played the Knicks at the Garden two days after Kobe, scoring 52pts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (50.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (48.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (42.2 KB, 130 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Ray Novak

Default Great Concert Memories

Grew up in Chicago and saw so many great shows in the late 60s and early 70s and remember seeing things like: Deep Purple back up Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder backup the Rolling Stones, Uriah Heep trash the sound system before T-Rex could take the stage, and a young piano player who was in the middle of his first world tour back up Derek and the Dominos. D&D played Layla out of the chute and just a handful of other songs, but Elton John's set saved the evening. (By the way, a band called Toe Fat was the first to take the stage that night. How many of you can say you saw THAT act!?!)
Old 08-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Larry More.y

In the early 90s when I lived in Charlotte NC, I went a number of times to see a small college band from Columbia SC play at a bar/restaurant. The majority of the time it was just me and my small group of friends watching this band play....they did not draw that many people.

Within a few years, this band appeared on Letterman, signed a big recording contract and came back to Charlotte (on the day they signed their first contract) and sold out a large venue. I couldn't figure out where all these people came from. The Letterman effect

Back to present day, the lead singer kid's go to the same school as my older son. Ironically, as a kid, he played on the same fields that my kids do now.

http://www.cmt.com/video-clips/orkkj...-andrew-s-park

Unfortunately, I still have not worked up the courage to mention to Darius Rucker that 25 years ago I was one of his first fans.

Small world.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

Well, an "I was there" and a couple almosts.

The almosts -

Yaz 3000th hit. Lived near enough to take the T in every day for a long stretch Probably 5 games. I was in HS and my parents finally said enough. So I went from the 7th to the 11th ..........and got to watch 3000 on tv like nearly everyone else. Somewhere I have film of Yaz getting out a bunch of times.

The bombing at the 96 Olympics. Dad and I went, and were in the park area during the day. Debated hanging around for the concert, but it had been a pretty long day and the act wasn't one I was really into. So we went back to the hotel.

The "I actually was there"

Havliceks last game.

Dad knew someone who had tickets to a game in Feb 78 in Hartford where the Celtics played a few games. That game got postponed because the blizzard collapsed the civic center roof. It got rescheduled to Boston Garden as the last game of the season. For some reason the other people couldn't go, and gave dad the tickets.

Steve B
Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderfinger View Post
Grew up in Chicago and saw so many great shows in the late 60s and early 70s and remember seeing things like: Deep Purple back up Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder backup the Rolling Stones, Uriah Heep trash the sound system before T-Rex could take the stage, and a young piano player who was in the middle of his first world tour back up Derek and the Dominos. D&D played Layla out of the chute and just a handful of other songs, but Elton John's set saved the evening. (By the way, a band called Toe Fat was the first to take the stage that night. How many of you can say you saw THAT act!?!)
I also saw Stevie Wonder back up the Stones. It was at Madison Square Garden, on the night of Mick's 29th birthday, so they brought out a big cake for him. That was in 1972.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 AM
bobby

Default Hank Arron

Our 12 year old baseball team was at the opening night of the Mobile Bay Bears. the boys were allowed to go onto the field meet the players and got a signed ball from the players. Hank Arron threw out the first pitch. Cool hay guys that's Hank Arron I don't think a single kid new who he was?. after that the boys were brought to the box to meet him?. we didn't ask they came to us and offered would the boys like to meet him?. . the boys stood in line balls in hand. he was ten feet from the kids . and refused to sign a single autograph for the kids. I could understand 50 kids there was 8 and no one else.
That's my memory of a game that I was at.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:59 PM
tony

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialQPR...9520371078848/
I was there