NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 AM
J Stone

Default Question For Signed Set Collectors

I've been working a signed 1990 Leaf set since it came out in 1990. A few of the ones I still need don't pop up often on eBay and I haven't been able to find them elsewhere except at stupid prices (i.e. $79.99 for Keith Hernandez).

My question is, some of these do show up on eBay as 2012 Leaf Memories Buy Backs. From what I understand, the cards were bought on the open market, the gold stamp in the corner was added, and the cards were inserted in packs.

I'm curious if other set collectors consider these Buy Back cards OK to include in a signed set, or would the Buy Back set would be considered a separate set entity. I'm kind of on the fence myself.

Also if anyone is familiar with the 2012 Leaf Memories, some of the signed cards have stamped serial numbers, like the Scott below, and some have handwritten serial numbers. Anyone know the difference?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (24.4 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 AM
D@vid L@dd

I consider them good for my sets, thats just me though. I am doing the 1987 Topps set, and I have a bunch of 2004 Topps Originals. They are genuine issue cards, certified and usually MUCH cheaper than sending in cards to a signing!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

It comes down to preference I suppose but I'd consider that a completely different set. That's just my opinion, for me personally I'd consider it cheating so to speak. I have heard of people doing this, or in some cases applying a sticker autograph to an unsigned card (for example, Oscar Taveras' 2014 Heritage Minors is probably close to non-existant given the time between when it was issued and when he passed away) but my preference is to have an actual card from the actual set signed, or not at all. If you don't intend to eventually sell it, go with what you prefer. Keith Hernandez doesn't sign Indians cards, which is why his card in that set is priced so high. I wonder if he or Kelly Gruber signed any of the buybacks. That might be a good way to fill in those toughies.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Curt

I would count it, as it is an original card from the set. It is modified with the stamp, emboss or whatever else they did to the cards to mark them as buybacks.

As Derek mentioned, sometimes the buybacks are your best shot at a certain card.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Jeff

Lots of opinions on this.
Once the card is numbered and stamped it becomes part of a different set to me. I wouldn't count it personally.

Do what you think is right, it's a hobby.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."