NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 1938 Goudey FIRST Wrapper!

Posted By: Anonymous

IMO this is the 1938 Goudey's very first wrapper! It has 8 figures like there other wrapper and the set was supposed to be a continuation of the 1933 Goudey set as numbered starting with #241.

[linked image]

edited scan to post and accidentally deleted some wording...(Dan can help with that though)

Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I can send picture to someone, my website is crapping out right now

Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

dan - send it over - I'll post it.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Dan:

What makes you think that was the first wrapper? I have been told there were two '38 Goudey wrappers, but I've got two different '38 Goudey wrappers, both marketed as "Heads Up" - here they are:

[linked image]

[linked image]

From what I can tell, Goudey did market gum in card-sized wrappers WITHOUT cards. Could it be that there was a "Big League Chewing Gum" that did not have cards included?

-Al

Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Ken's website states that the 1938 set was meant as a continuation to the 1933 set and was later changed to be called "Heads Up".

Dad and I discussed it for awhile and the fact that the 38 set was meant as a continuation of the 1933 set originally and was later decided to be called "heads up". Also, the fact that the 8 figures kind of match the 8 figures on the first Heads up wrapper that was issued.

Of course this is just Pop's speculation and I don't have any hard facts so I am open to anything!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Leon u smart fart, u deleted my text where I was blasting Lyman! You knew what u were doing u peace maker u, I will have to blast him next time he calls I guess. Hey, I expect to see both of you in 2010 for some killer crabs in Baltimore!!!! Dan

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

It's definitely true that they intended to piggyback on the success of the '33 set. The first card, Charlie Gehringer, is numbered #241 (the last card in the '33 set is #240). The backs of the cards look the same.

What's interesting is that the backs of the low numbered '38s state that the card is "one of a series of 288 Baseball Stars." The high numbered backs state that the card is "one of a series of 312 Baseball Stars." So at some point in the production run, they did intend to issue 24 additional cards, which could explain the absence of people like Mel Ott and Carl Hubbell from the first run. In my travels I've never seen hide nor hair of those additional cards, which is why I was tentatively excited about those wacky glued-on "proofs" that you pointed out on eBay a few weeks back. None of them sold, but I was kind of hoping someone would win one and shed a little more light on what they were.

At the same time, the two wrappers I own are obviously different from one another, in size and design, so I've always been under the impression that I had one copy of each.

There are so many mysteries with respect to Goudey and National Chicle from 1937 to 1940 that we could spend forever trying to sort them all out.

-Al

Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

So you're going to give leon the crabs?