NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 PM
John

Default Storage of Graded Cards -- Advice?

Anyone figured out a storage setup that really works for you? Recent research has provided three options:

http://www.pennzonidisplay.com/gloss...rdscherry.aspx

http://www.cardcasepro.com/graded-sports-card-case.php

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=888639

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on any of these?
Do you have any other suggestions?

I know there are variables; I won't be travelling with the cards. I want something that can provide repeatable storage (multiple units). I also want something that will hold up over time.

Thanks for your input.
1909 - 1911 T206 Polar Bear (29/250)
1909 - 1911 T206 Basic Backs (9/16)
Old 06-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't have any of those or experience with them. I keep mine in regular 250 count or 500 count cardboard card boxes. I say do whatever is easiest for you and don't spend a ton. You very well might change your thinking in the future. I have.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Zach

Whatever way you decide to go keep in mind that SGC slabs are slightly larger than PSA and Beckett. I have some of the black cardboard storage boxes that were made by different companies. Some of them are wide enough for SGC slabs and some are not.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Default BCW Vault Boxes

I recommend BCW Super Vault Storage Boxes. Relatively cheap. Fits any standard size graded card. I also use them for the large size semi-rigid holders. Easy to mix and match graded, semi-rigid, toploaders, etc., in the same box. Fit neatly on the shelf and you can easily label the outside of the box however you want.

I think BCW also makes a graded "shoe box" that is two rows with a lid, but I've never used that one. Something about the single rows that I like with the vault boxes.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Storage:

I would recommend a fire-proof safe. When I think of what can harm cardboard and plastic, the first thing I think of is fire.

I keep 72 (all that will fit: 61 PSA & 11 SGC) highest dollar graded cards in my Sentry safe, about 700 post-war, pre-standard sized cards in a locked wooden Dakota safe - taking a little chance with the fire threat, but at least they are fairly well secured.

Still another wooden box (no lock ) contains 500 pre-standard cards (1956 set and 160 of 1955 set).

I have 14 binders containing my Topps 1957-1976 years and everything else is in regular cardboard storage boxes, usually 900 or 5000 each.

I don't have any floods or hurricanes where I live, but heat can bring fire, so be careful out there.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post
I recommend BCW Super Vault Storage Boxes. Relatively cheap. Fits any standard size graded card. I also use them for the large size semi-rigid holders. Easy to mix and match graded, semi-rigid, toploaders, etc., in the same box. Fit neatly on the shelf and you can easily label the outside of the box however you want.
This is what I do also. You can buy these relatively cheaply off ebay if you buy in quantity.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Pete Costanzo

I have one of the card vault cases(3rd one you listed) and it's a tank of a storage box. They're not cheap, but it's really well made and durable. Heavy too.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Try Box Factory: these are the same as the MJ Roop graded card storage boxes.

http://aboxfactory.com/index.php/collectors/psa.html
Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post

I think BCW also makes a graded "shoe box" that is two rows with a lid, but I've never used that one. Something about the single rows that I like with the vault boxes.
+1. Cheap, tidy and safe. Save money for more cards.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Try Box Factory: these are the same as the MJ Roop graded card storage boxes.

http://aboxfactory.com/index.php/collectors/psa.html
^^ This

I use their black chipwood boxes to store both my graded cards, and my Bowman Chrome prospect collection, which are kept in one touch magnet cases. The boxes make for a pretty elegant way of storing your collection out in the open. And, they're nicely constructed. However, for somebody looking to use these boxes for transporting cards to a show and back, I'd go with the wood boxes.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Bill Gregory

The only thing that worries me about a home safe is not the fire, which any safe can protect from, but the heat. Most safes don't keep the internal temperature of a safe cool enough inside. The plastic slabs can melt all over the cards, ruining them. The only answer I've found is a true media safe. But these safes are pretty expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I would recommend a fire-proof safe. When I think of what can harm cardboard and plastic, the first thing I think of is fire.

I keep 72 (all that will fit: 61 PSA & 11 SGC) highest dollar graded cards in my Sentry safe, about 700 post-war, pre-standard sized cards in a locked wooden Dakota safe - taking a little chance with the fire threat, but at least they are fairly well secured.

Still another wooden box (no lock ) contains 500 pre-standard cards (1956 set and 160 of 1955 set).

I have 14 binders containing my Topps 1957-1976 years and everything else is in regular cardboard storage boxes, usually 900 or 5000 each.

I don't have any floods or hurricanes where I live, but heat can bring fire, so be careful out there.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Alex

Bill - I never thought of the internal heat of a safe until you just pointed it out. I will have to reconsider my strategy.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Proper storage of graded cards requires a pair of needle nosed pliers and a screwdriver. Once liberated, put them in a top load. Dispose of case. Put in standard topload storage box.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
^^ This

I use their black chipwood boxes to store both my graded cards, and my Bowman Chrome prospect collection, which are kept in one touch magnet cases. The boxes make for a pretty elegant way of storing your collection out in the open. And, they're nicely constructed. However, for somebody looking to use these boxes for transporting cards to a show and back, I'd go with the wood boxes.
+1. Also use the CaseCardPro boxes. Like them both. The latter is a little sturdier, and having two handles on the sides makes easier to lift / move box without rotating it (ie cards maintain same orientation throughout).

Have found both boxes were sized ideally for PSAs, and SGCs wind up a little snug.

--S
Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Daniel R.

The card vault was way to expensive for my budget, so I decided instead to buy my own Pelican case with the pick n pluck foam. I picked out 3 rows and it works great form my sgc cards. It was very easy to do and saved me a ton of money.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Christopher Herman

Ammo box works surprising well. No bull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07984-1-1024x768.jpg (74.0 KB, 113 views)

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards