NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 AM
D@vid Mor1@rty

I was at a garage sale a while back which had some baseball memorabilia and while looking at it, it all had the same players name on it. Turns out I was at a garage sale at Frank Dipino's house. He was moving and wanted to get rid of some of his things. I bought a bunch of stuff and when I went to pay Mr. Dipino was there collecting money and we started to talk about baseball. After about 15 minutes of talking he asked if I wanted to see some of his collection and invited me into his house. He took me into the basement where he had the walls lined with 200+ signed bats from players he had played with along with about 100+ signed balls. We went down the line looking at all of them and he had a story about most of them. Turns out he is also good friends with Nolan Ryan and the 2 of them would spend time together hunting and fishing. I still have a few of the things I bought and I remember that day every time I look at them.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Jason Wells

Best would have to be NFL QB Aaron Brooks who is a native Virginian. My GF at the time and I saw him in Toys R Us of all places Christmas shopping with I assume his mother. I was telling her about him and it was when he was a very capable NFL QB with the Saints. She approached him for an autograph and he was blown away that I recognized him. Truly humble man who talked to us for a few minutes. Not a superstar persay but one of those encounters you never forget.

I will also agree about pro wrestlers always being very nice and great to meet. Too many too name but Matt and Jeff Hardy were top of the list. Also the local AA team players are just amazing year after year. Eager to sign for my son or myself and just easy to talk to. A few favorites Brandon Crawford, Joe Panik, Christian Arroyo, C.J Hinojosa, and my guy Slade Heathcott.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Here's a weird one I have had. I carry around cards with the picture of a sweet spot of a baseball because no matter who I run into, they can sign them. Minor leaguer, hall of famer...hell I've even had one concession vendor who had a particularly positive effect on my enjoyment of a game sign one....because the autos are my tangible memories of an experience. I have had on three occasions players turn me down flat and rudely saying that I was going to sell them. (none of the players who have turned me down would have fetched more than a dollar on eBay). Is someone telling players that's what's going on?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Dave_Berg

Best- George Brett- Lots of Beers at TGI Fridays by his house
Worst- Willie Mays ( A turd)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyFromCANADA View Post
Sent this photo to my childhood hockey hero, Shayne Corson,, 15 years ago.
He sent it back beautifully signed and personally inscribed.
Attachment 302363

Finally met him at the last Toronto expo. Great Guy.
Says he remembered signing the Zamboni photo.
Attachment 302362
Very cool, Marty. I am a huge Rangers and hockey fan and I have always appreciated the tough guys on the ice (my second favorite Ranger being Nick Fotiu).

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 01-16-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Chris Counts

When I was a kid, I used to hang around the hotels in Anaheim looking for autographs when the various American League teams were in town to play the Angels. I was inside one hotel when a particularly unfriendly security guard cornered me and another autograph hunter and read us the riot act. Just then, Yankees pitcher Dock Ellis comes around the corner and puts himself between us and the security guard, flashes a smile, and says, "Don't mess with these guys — they're my friends," before signing all our stuff.

The same day, I saw Billy Martin walking across the lobby toward me, and he was wearing a cast on his left hand. I believe he had recently injured it on somebody's face. I really wanted Billy's autograph, but the cast seemingly made it signing difficult, so I didn't say anything. But Billy strolled right up to me. "Would you like me to sign your ball?" he asked. I had a baseball with me, and I was getting it signed. I said, sure, and I handed him the ball, which he placed between the cast and his chin, and he signed it, surprisingly very legibly ...
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Great Experiences

I have had some great experiences interacting with MLB players.

TED WILLIAMS: As a 13-year old kid at Fenway Park in 1959, I asked Ted if I could take his picture. Kids' cameras back then had two settings: on and off. He was a little further away than I wanted near the batting cage, so I asked him if he could move a little closer. Though he did not do so, he did speak to me and said: "Take the picture, kid, I gotta go hit." I treasure that picture to this day.
In 1999, 40 years later, Ted came to the Chantilly Show to sign autographs in commemoration of his 30-year anniversary of managing the Washington Senators. I had my picture taken with him and shook his hand. He signed a picture of him that I had bought at Fenway Park 40+ years earlier. Ted was not in the best of health then, but I ventured to speak with him, and told him, "Ted, I think that you are the best hitter who ever lived" (which is how he wanted to be remembered). He looked at me and after a moment said in his still booming voice: "why do you think so?" I said: "You hit for average and you hit for power." Perhaps he would have liked to have heard that he never swung at a ball out of the strike zone!

FRANK WHITE: KC Royals 2nd Baseman. Was at a spring training game in Florida with our young sons in, I think, 1979. He signed autographs for the boys, but then stayed a bit and talked with them. Asked them how they liked baseball, etc.
He was super-friendly to them.

1960 MILWAUKEE BRAVES/HANK AARON&CHUCK COTTIER: At a spring training game in Bradenton, Florida between the Braves and Pirates, chased down a foul ball during BP and started to get Braves' autographs. Aaron and a few others were playing Pepper down the third-base line, and their ball came over the chain-link fence and I got it. One of the players said, "hey kid, throw our ball back." I said: "OK if you will sign my ball." And 4 or 5 players signed my ball right there and posed for photos!! Later, I threw my ball over the fence only to have it land on the slanted roof of the dugout. Chuck Cottier, a utility infielder, saw what happened, and suggested to one of my older brothers how to get the ball, and it worked. And then Cottier signed it as well. 3 HOFers signed that ball: Aaron, Mathews and Spahn.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Mike Kendall

I lived in Kansas City in the early 80's and always attended an annual card show which featured a different autograph guest each year. The years I attended they had Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio.

Mantle was my boyhood idol and I was so excited about getting to see him up close and receive his autograph. The line was unbelievable and it took 3 hours before I finally arrived in front of The Mick. He had a beer in one hand, and a sharpie in the other, talking with Hank Bauer. He never looked up, never acknowledged anyone, and could obviously care less about the whole thing. By this time in my life I knew Mantle was not a role model and had many issues, but it was still a disappointment.

Joe DiMaggio on the other hand was a true gentleman. He wore a suit and tie, acknowledged everyone he signed for, shook their hand, and thanked them for being there. What a contrast.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Steven

So a little o/t, but I think it belongs.

Miles Bridges is the star on the Men's basketball team at Michigan State. He very surprisingly came back for his sophomore year and turned down millions to be a college kid for another year.

During the summers local players from MSU, UM and other D1 schools play in the moneyball which is an eight team round robin at a local complex that is free and all of 5 minutes from my house. I decided that I wanted to go at the last minute as I want to see Bridges play before he leaves us for the NBA. Id heard how this year would be different and he would be as hospitable signing things as he has already done this for a year, blah blah blah.

I actually walked in with Bridges, got a smile and a hello and we parted ways. He spent the next 30 minutes signing everything for everyone to the point it definitely affected his warm up. After the game I stayed for another hour watching the next game and he was still on the sidelines signing, getting pics taken and just chattin it up. All smiles for the entire 2.5 hours I saw him...its easy to root for guys like this and I will definitely remember that day even though I got nothing signed.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I tend to differentiate the card show 'business' meeting from the casual meeting. Among the casual meetings:

Jim Brown: I ran into him--literally. I was leaving my room at the hotel in Cleveland one a.m. before the National and wasn't looking and banged into him. Like hitting a brick wall. I'm 6'3" and was about 240# at the time and I was the one who moved. I excused myself then realized who it was and said "Hey, you're Jim Brown...but you probably know that already." I chatted with him briefly. As I recall he was in town for the show and the HOF induction at Canton. I think it was for Gene Hickerson that year. He was also great at a show I went to; when I asked him to sign a 1960 Topps he asked why I was getting such a good card signed, I told him he was the best ever and I am collecting signed cards of the GOATs, and he seemed really pleased.

Luke Appling: back in the autograph early days he was a free host signer at a local show. I gave him this card to sign. Not only did he personalize it, he told me a story about the uniforms, that they were thick woolens and absolutely miserable to wear in the summer

I once got backstage at the Academy Awards (family connection) rehearsals and decided to hustle some autographs:
--Johnny Carson: great guy. Not only signed happily but was cracking jokes the whole time.
--Gene Hackman: kind of a dick but did sign.
--Cheech and Chong: awesome. So friendly that if they'd had a J I think they'd have offered to share it with me.
--Ricardo Montalban: "Khan!" was very cordial and classy.
--Christy Brinkley: really nice and my god was she amazing to look at.
--Roger Moore: An English gentleman.
--Sly Stallone: I'd seen him around LA a few times and he was always nice to fans. Signed for me and was nice about it.

The one time I became a star-struck babbling idiot was in a bookstore. I was leaving and heard an unmistakable voice asking the clerk for a book on Voltaire. I wasn't even going to approach but my wife encouraged me; she said he was alone, no one was talking to him, and I'd regret it if I didn't. So I did. I got complete verbal diarrhea and went on about his charity contribution for a school where I was on the board and some other stuff. He was really great about it. I had the autograph made into a custom card:

I grew up on Monty Python; I even made my parents take me to their live show in NYC when I was ten. So this was the best celebrity meeting I've ever had.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-16-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Ted Zanidakis

I have gotten many, many autographs since 1981 at BB card Shows and at Cooperstown during HOF weekend.
Every sports figure that I met was very friendly and gracious. This is partly due to my avoided guys who had a
reputation of being a "schmuck". And more importantly, because I waited until the end of the autograph line to
get their signature. When you are the last guy standing, these ballplayers are more inclined to be friendly. And
it's my experience that they will be willing to spend more time having a two-way conversation with you.

Stay tuned for a great conversation which I had with Ted Williams in Cooperstown back in 1987.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I've never had a bad experience with an athlete. They've always been great. I don't do autographs, so maybe that helps. But here are a few of my favorites:

1) Al Kaline - I was probably 8 when I met him and was absolutely terrified. He was signing at a bank and my grandmother took me to meet him. He signed a photo for me and could not have been nicer.

2) In 1989, I had a friend who worked at a movie theater in Pontiac, MI (where I grew up). After the Pistons won their first title, the Pistons had a free viewing thing at the Palace for their championship video they'd be releasing. On the way there, my friend tells me that he'd met John Salley the night before at the theater and went on and on about how much time they'd spent together and how cool Spider was. Yeah, right. We get to the Palace and there's hardly anyone where we are - except one car. As we're walking in, that car's door opens and out steps this gigantic human being. John Salley. And Salley sees us and yells to my friend "Hey Johnny, how are you?" We talked for a couple minutes. Salley was great.

3) Mark Rypien - Mark lives in the Spokane area and has a foundation here. He was at a Spokane Indians game. My wife approached him, said I was a big fan and asked if he'd mind meeting me. She came and got me and I met him, told him I was a Lions fan and that he'd broken my heart in the playoffs when the Redskins killed Detroit. I said, "You guys kicked our butts". Mark got a huge grin on his face and said "yeah, we did". It was great.

4) Steve Garvey - Garvey was in town to be honored before a Spokane Indians game. The night before he was to be honored, I got up to leave after the game and he was standing in the aisle right behind me. All alone, no one around. I asked for and got a photo. The next night, I brought my good friend who was a big Garvey fan. As a kid, he mailed Garvey a letter when he played in Spokane - and got a handwritten response! He brought that letter with him. We get to the park early and look around and there's Steve down in the corner. We went over and started talking to him. He signed my photo from the night before (so cool) and then my buddy showed him that letter. His eyes got REALLY BIG and he immediately pulled out his cellphone and took a bunch of pictures of it. He called over the news reporter he was talking to and showed it to her. Then he signed it for my friend. He posed for several pictures and we talked for a good 20 minutes. Just awesome.

5) Wayne Gretzky - Gretzky was at a Spokane Indians game because his son was in town to sign a contract with the Cubs (whose affiliate was playing Spokane). My friend points out Gretzky and I go over and ask for a photo. He kindly took his sunglasses off and posed for a pic. I immediately called my wife to tell her I'd met Wayne and I'm just over the moon. Only I didn't SAVE the photo. On my phone, you had to manually save it, it wasn't automatic. I was crushed. Then I see Wayne walking into the stadium and ask for another pic. He gives me this huge sigh and says "alright" and then grins at me. Take the pic and I save it and then I see...it's completely dark because we were in a shadow. I go sit down and am really disappointed at blowing my chance to get a good photo with Wayne. Then I see he's sitting near me and I find the courage to ask for one more. He graciously said yes and, well:

Old 01-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Duncan

Bobby Orr and Harmon Killebrew were the best. Bobby Orr came to Albany, NY many years ago to open the state rink. He then met with fans and signed autographs. I grew up in Western MA in the '60s and '70s and he was my all time favorite. When it was my turn he stood up and shook my hand and thanked ME for coming to see him.

A former Member of Congress who represents Cooperstown used have a political fundraiser during induction weekend and he would bring in 10 HOFers to sign autos and mingle. I had my son with me one time, he must have been around 10, and we met Harmon. He spent 20 minutes talking to my son about baseball and was amazingly pleasant.

The worst, Gaylord Perry. Same event, different experience. Total DB.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Good:
I flew to Charleston SC to visit a friend around 2000. Got in on a Saturday evening, friend picked me up and we went straight to a bar in Mt. Pleasant. It was packed so I went upstairs where they had a couple of pool tables to see if there were any seats. Found a round table big enough for 4-5 people and sat down while my buddy went to the bar to get beers. Shortly after I sat down a guy came up the stairs that looked out of place in the bar. He was a little older than the crowd, black (bar was at least 95% white, if not 100%) and by himself. Without saying anything he parks himself at my table and turns away from me and looks over the rail down to the first floor. After a minute or so, buddy still not back with beers, I kept thinking I recognized him. Then it hit me. He looked my way and leaned over and said "Excuse me, are you Dwight Smith?" He smiled and said yes. He was the hitting coach for the Charleston Riverdogs of the South Atlantic League. We chatted and then finally my buddy shows up and I introduce him to my new friend and my friend, who was a die hard Cardinals fan, yelled "Oh My God, I hated you!" Smith laughed and we all hung out the rest of the night, drinking beers and grabbed some appetizers. The team was at home the next day so he left us tickets and will call and we went to the game. It was a weird chance meeting and the fact that I recognized him was lucky, but I was a Cubs fan and remembered the '89 Cub playoff team very well.

Bad:
Moses Malone & Julius Erving - The 76ers arrived at the Hyatt Regency in Indianapolis in town to play the Pacers. There was a large group of high school kids (me included) in the lobby. Some of us immediately recognized them and approached for autographs. Malone mumbled "I ain't signing no autographs" and kept walking. Dr. J was at least polite and said he wanted to go to his room, get settled in and he would come back down and sign for us. He never did. Other guys on that team were great. Andrew Toney was one, Marc Iavaroni, Mark McNamara and Mo Cheeks are ones I remember being cool. They sat down with us and hung out for a bit.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

We took our son back in 2005 to Florida to see the Spring Training Camps of the Mets and Dodgers, he was 11 years old at that time. The worst experience was at the Mets, Mike Piazza was a total idiot with no one around him, told my son I'm working you cant bother me, while walking to a different work out station, but Tom Glavine was a class act he got a ball for my son and signed it for him, Mets were tough to get. Dodgers at Vero Beach were easily accessible, My son got to meet Eric Gagne who signed a Dodgers hat , Tommy Lasorda who talked to him for about 10 minutes, and pretty much got most of the Dodgers to sign a ball for him
Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Just before starting law school, I worked at a pretty nice restaurant in Miami that overlooked the ocean. One day on a lunch shift, I had a party of four which included a father, mother, and their two children (a boy and a girl). The boy was wearing a cast on his arm. At the table next to theirs sat Eddie George with a GORGEOUS woman (who often frequented the establishment with famous athletes). Unfortunately, Eddie's table was not in my section, but apparently, the family struck up a conversation with him. At some point, the mom allowed the boy to get his cast autographed by him, despite her previously firm "no signatures on your cast" edict. As I was running around getting drinks or whatever, a waiter tells me Eddie George wanted to talk to me. I thought the waiter was messing with me, but he wasn't. Eddie George was exiting the restaurant, and was looking for me. He asked me how much their meal was. I told him I had to check the computer, but he just took out a wad of cash, ripped off four $100 bills and asked me if that would cover it with tip. I told him that it absolutely would. The family was thrilled to find out that Eddie George had paid their tab, but it was I who was the fortunate one. The bill was about $250 of the $400 he gave me. AND, despite my telling them that the tip was covered, the family left me an additional $50. I will always hate Ohio State (See: 2003 Fiesta Bowl), but am forever a fan of Eddie George.

Last edited by orly57; 01-16-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:30 PM
George E.

Default The Spider and the Worm, Morris, and Bo.

I am not an autograph guy. I would hate to always be signing autographs for people if that was me so I don't ever ask if I meet anyone.

But, when I was 10 or 11 my dad took me and my brother to a Pistons game. It was in January and the giveaway was a calendar with a player's photo for each month. We got there early and some of the bench players were warming up and my dad made us go down to the court and ask for autographs. I was amazed at how huge they were. John Salley signed and was nice about it, and Dennis Rodman was willing to sign for me too. But Dennis started signing on the calendar part (not his photograph) and I panicked and said, "No, on the picture." I can still remember the look he gave me. It was an are-you-kidding-me look, but there was a trace of a smile in there. It could have gone either way. But then he signed on the picture and it became a great story. I told a huge professional basketball player he was signing wrong and lived to tell the tale.

I took my son to get Jack Morris's autograph at a Twins caravan event because I was a fan of his when I was a kid. We were the only ones wearing Tigers hats in the place. I don't think he was super enthused about the length of the line he had to deal with, but was friendly enough and let me take a picture of him with my son.

Those are probably the only autographs I've pursued.

My brother and his friend were playing golf and there was a guy playing by himself behind them so my brother invited the gentleman to join them. It was Bo Jackson. They played about 14 holes together. Bo is not an extrovert, but they got along well and had a nice time. My brother casually asked him if he'd sign a golf ball but Bo said he didn't sign. I think he said something about how that was work, and he wasn't working today. Which makes sense to me. If you don't have a rule, where do you draw the line?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Chris Counts

"Joe DiMaggio on the other hand was a true gentleman. He wore a suit and tie, acknowledged everyone he signed for, shook their hand, and thanked them for being there. What a contrast."

I, too, had a great encounter with Joltin' Joe. Back in the early 70s, I arrived early for an old timers game at Angels Stadium. I must have been about 12 or 13. I was wandering around the empty parking lot long before the game, and amazingly, I see Joe Dimaggio popping out of car just a few feet away. All I had for him to sign was a 3x5 card, so I handed him a stack of them so he would a stable surface to sign on. He was somewhat reserved, but friendly. There was nobody within 200 feet of us, and I was completely in awe of him, who I had only read about. After he signed the card, he placed it in the back of the stack and signed another. By the time he reached 12 or 13, I was feeling so guilty over my good fortune that I reached out for the stack of 3x5s and thanked him for his time ...
Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I got to meet Tony Schumacher at the NHRA Summer Nationals in Englishtown,NJ and Austin Dillon at Martinsville in the Pit Area when our son got us Pit Passes , he was a Tire Carrier for Joe Gibbs/Kyle Busch Racing Xfinity Series and Red Horse Racing. Also our daughter got to meet the 2007 U.S. Women's National Team during a practice in Zarephath NJ, she had her picture taken with each player that signed a US National Soccer Jersey for her
Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 PM

This might seem like an odd one, but I'm not a big autograph person, so there aren't many stories to tell.

About 12 years ago, Johnny Blanchard was signing at a small local card shop. My dad was a huge Yankees fan during Blanchard's time and he had stories about seeing him hit homers in person. He went to a lot of games during that time.

Anyway, I took my dad with me to the store and only one person was there getting Blanchard's auto at the time, so we got a chance to talk to him. I had him personalize a ball for me and he gave a terrific autograph, along with "61-62 WS champs" underneath.

To me it was cool to meet one of the players I heard my dad talk about a lot growing up. Then my dad was behind me and it was like he turned into a kid, talking to Blanchard for a few minutes and getting his autograph. I don't even know if my dad has another in person autograph after the mid-60s, but it was a cool experience to watch them interact.

Blanchard didn't have much of a career really, but he peaked at the right time for my dad to think highly of him.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM
Jonathan Sterling

The Johnny Blanchard story was great and reminded me of the time my Dad met Clete Boyer. It was at a Philly show in the early 90's Mr. Boyer was an autograph guest and after my Dad and he had a beer together and he told my Dad some great stories about the early 1960's yankees. An hour or so later my Dad and Mr. Boyer come back to our table he signs pictures for me and my son tells a couple g rated stories and I drive us all back to hotel. Only time I ever saw my Dad get an autograph. If I mention Mr. Boyer to my Dad tomorrow a smile will instantly come to his face.
Before that show when there was an autograph guest I would pull some cards of theirs and get the signatures. But after that if and only if it was a Yankee I would still pull cards but my Dad would get the signatures. Sadly we only did a few shows after that and stopped when it was too hard for my Dad in 1997.
I have not had bad experiences with athletes but I never take it for granted they will sign so am not upset at all if they don't.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I got to meet Tony Schumacher at the NHRA Summer Nationals in Englishtown,NJ and Austin Dillon at Martinsville in the Pit Area when our son got us Pit Passes , he was a Tire Carrier for Joe Gibbs/Kyle Busch Racing Xfinity Series and Red Horse Racing. Also our daughter got to meet the 2007 U.S. Women's National Team during a practice in Zarephath NJ, she had her picture taken with each player that signed a US National Soccer Jersey for her
Thanks for posting that. Racers are almost universally awesome when it comes to interacting with fans.

I know this is a bit obscure, but one experience that really stands out to me was meeting Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah at a local mall when I was about 10 years old. Nehemiah was playing for the 49ers at the time, and there was no real reason to think he would draw a crowd at a mall in Pennsylvania. Almost predictably, only four or five people showed up to meet him/get an autograph. Even as a 10 year old, I knew it was a pitiful, uncomfortable turnout of fans.

But Nehemiah could not have been nicer. He asked me what sports I liked to play, spent quite a bit of time talking to me and was not outwardly angry at all about the tiny turnout.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-17-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:13 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I met Whitlow Wyatt, Joe Sambito and Russell Branyan. All three were great guys!

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Thanks for posting that. Racers are almost universally awesome when it comes to interacting with fans.

I know this is a bit obscure, but one experience that really stands out to me was meeting Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah at a local mall when I was about 10 years old. Nehemiah was playing for the 49ers at the time, and there was no real reason to think he would draw a crowd at a mall in Pennsylvania. Almost predictably, only four or five people showed up to meet him/get an autograph. Even as a 10 year old, I knew it was a pitiful, uncomfortable turnout of fans.

But Nehemiah could not have been nicer. He asked me what sports I liked to play, spent a quite a bit of time talking to me and was not outwardly angry at all about the tiny turnout.
Nehemiah was a legend in track.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:26 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I remember Nehimiah from the times he would appear on the show The Superstars.

For all you youngins, that was a TV show in the 1970's (maybe into the early 80's?) where they would bring together a bunch of current sports figures who would compete in different events like track and field, rowing etc. Then there would be a winner at the end of the show when all the points for each event we're tallied. Sometimes it would be whole teams, like the Cowboys against the Steelers.

Anyway, whenever Nehimiah was there and doing any of the track events he just absolutely wiped the floor with everyone else. As soon as you saw he was going you just wondered who would finish second and just how far behind he would be.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Nehemiah was a legend in track.
I know. He is originally from New Jersey, but I just meant that he didn't really have any kind of natural fan following in the Philadelphia area based on him playing football on the other side of the country, His appearance at a Pennsylvania mall had all the making of a flop crowd wise, but he could not have been nicer.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-17-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Jay Shelton

I posted this originally in another thread on this forum back in 2014, but my "worst" without a doubt is Willie Mays:

I met him at an Equitable Old Timers game in the 1980s at old Arlington Stadium. He was the ONLY old time player that did not attend the pre-game meet/greet at the hotel, and the only one before the game that would not acknowledge anyone at the batting cages, take photos, or sign autographs. I was told by my friend who was an Equitable rep that Mays would not be invited back.

The best in-person experience I've ever had was meeting Terry Kennedy, one of my favorite Padres players, a few years back when he was the manager of AA San Antonio Missions. Got to meet him prior to the game with my son (I was wearing one of my vintage game-used Padres jerseys), and he signed a Padres yearbook, four cards, and posed for pictures, and chatted for about 2-3 minutes. Really nice guy. Also, meeting my other Padres favorite, Randy Jones, was a cool experience, as my wife and I met him at old Jack Murphy at his barbecue "restaurant" area behind the left field stands while on our honeymoon. He signed a program, ball, and posed for pictures. At the time, he was in full uniform (navy and orange pinstripes, back in 1994) and told me he much preferred the brown-gold uniforms to the then current navy and orange.

Last edited by Jayworld; 01-17-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Back in the 1950's, when I was a wee sprite, my father, who was an executive at GE, had a report who had been an All American at Northwestern and had roomed with the NY football Giants center, Ray Witeka. A plot for a surprise birthday present for yours truly was hatched and I soon found myself at the old Polo Grounds cheering the Giants on against the 49'ers. About 5 minutes before the game ended and the Giants pulled out a cliff hanger, my Dad suggested we move down to the sidelines. In a blur, I did so, and soon I was standing next to giant men, trying not to breath. The game ended and we moved towards the center of the field to meet Ray. He asked me if I wanted to carry his helmet to the locker room. I could only nod in gratitude.
The locker room was a scene of happy chaos. Moving among these titans, I quietly went around seeking autographs. All were very pleasant and encouraging, and I snagged autographs of my gridiron heroes, Frank Gifford, Kyle Rote, Charley Connerly et al. I was doing pretty well until Rosy Greer came out of the shower in all his glory. I had never seen a naked man so large and powerful, but he happily signed my program and gave me a wet pat on the head.
The program is long gone, but I still have the vivid memory of that surreal experience logged forever.

'Say hey, what Willie? I once set up near the autograph tables and heard Mays berate a young boy for daring to ask a question. The lad's dad turned purple and I thought was going to pop Willie one. 'Nuff said.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Check my post on page 3. It may give you a little insight into Willie and why he is standoffish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I posted this originally in another thread on this forum back in 2014, but my "worst" without a doubt is Willie Mays:

I met him at an Equitable Old Timers game in the 1980s at old Arlington Stadium. He was the ONLY old time player that did not attend the pre-game meet/greet at the hotel, and the only one before the game that would not acknowledge anyone at the batting cages, take photos, or sign autographs. I was told by my friend who was an Equitable rep that Mays would not be invited back.

The best in-person experience I've ever had was meeting Terry Kennedy, one of my favorite Padres players, a few years back when he was the manager of AA San Antonio Missions. Got to meet him prior to the game with my son (I was wearing one of my vintage game-used Padres jerseys), and he signed a Padres yearbook, four cards, and posed for pictures, and chatted for about 2-3 minutes. Really nice guy. Also, meeting my other Padres favorite, Randy Jones, was a cool experience, as my wife and I met him at old Jack Murphy at his barbecue "restaurant" area behind the left field stands while on our honeymoon. He signed a program, ball, and posed for pictures. At the time, he was in full uniform (navy and orange pinstripes, back in 1994) and told me he much preferred the brown-gold uniforms to the then current navy and orange.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Be.n C0z1n

So what's the deal with Mays? Was he always unfriendly, or did that develop over time? I just remember being younger and hearing how he would play stickball in the street, etc... Not being into the autograph scene, I would have guessed he was a decent guy based on the pictures / stories I heard when I was little.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
Check my post on page 3. It may give you a little insight into Willie and why he is standoffish.
Chris, yes- I re-read your post, and that would explain Mays stand-offish attitude, yet it does not explain that when a promoter (in my real-life scenario, The Insurance Company The Equitable) is paying former players to show up at an old-timers game, and part of the agreement is that the players will attend a pre-game meeting at the hotel with special guests (meet, greet, sign autographs, etc.), then attend the old-timers game, then attend a post game get-together and dinner, and Mays didn't do anything but show up at the game. In other words, he took Equitable's money and did not fulfill his end of the contract. That's why my friend who worked for the Equitable said he would not be invited back.

Conversely, every other old-timer showed up at the pre-game, game, and post-game events and signed plenty of autos, posed for pics, etc. Ernie Banks was an incredible gentleman at the post-game dinner.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Some nice people:

Alvaro Espinosa's wife. I met her at a Yankees game when I was like 10, and she said if I gave her my Don Mattingly card, she'd get it autographed. She sent one in the mail to me, autographed. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have it authenticated to see if she was who she said she was! ha.

When we were like 6 years old, I had a friend who's dad played for the Dodgers. He always thought Steve Welch was the nicest guy on the team to him.

Andre Dawson -- met him in an elevator at a Cubs-Mets series in NYC when i was like 10. I had an 8.5 x 11 ready for him to sign, but it was in my room. He told me he'd get me later, but I begged him, and he gave me his room number and signed my photo which I hung on my wall my entire childhood.

Lenny Dykstra: I still don't have his autograph, but EFF him and his gold Mercedes. Never has a man been so beloved by the fans but been such a selfish unlikable guy to his public. I don't think I ever saw him sign an autograph in Clearwater during spring training. EVER.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I don't really have any baseball celebrity stories, though I think Alice Cooper's a pretty solid softball player, and I got to meet him in Albuquerque one time as part of VIP package I won through a radio contest. I've met lots of football players, especially Saints and Dolphins, and they've all been pretty friendly. I ran out of my school one day in about 5th grade to chase Archie Manning down the street and get his autograph, like in the middle of the day, so I could have gotten in trouble for that, but everyone let it slide. It was Archie Manning after all. I have an in-law who played in the NFL for many years, and he's always been nice to us, so count him too if we're allowed to use family. I'm almost certain I was on a flight with O.J. Simpson back in '91. He's always seemed like a sweet guy. Anybody know what he's been up to these past 27 years?

I met Heisman Trophy winners Earl Campbell and Ricky Williams on separate occasions as a UT student in the late 90s. Ricky and I lived in the same dorm, and one night when my friends and I were sneaking a dog into my room, Ricky was on the lobby phone (I guess those probably don't exist anymore), and the dog went up to him and started jumping up and licking his hand. He just said "Hi" and smiled and petted the dog for a moment. We didn't really have a conversation, because he was still on the phone, and he's very shy anyway, but that was a cool moment.

I was an usher at the basketball arena in college (Erwin Center) and had to ask anyone seated in this particular private room in the building to move to a different area before a meeting started. Earl Campbell was sitting in there, all by himself, and watching TV. (It was the basketball game that was being played live like 100 feet away). So I just said, "I'm sorry; I have to ask if you can move over to this other area." And he gave me a look like, "Are you joking? Do you know who I am?" and then just shrugged his shoulders and moved like I asked him to.

I saw plenty of other athletes and musicians when I was working at that arena. My coolest assignment was being stationed as the security guy for Elton John's dressing room before the concert. I just hung out there for a couple of hours before the show, chatted with his bodyguard, listened to his rehearsal with the band, and met him (very) briefly when he came back to the dressing room -- to take a nap. Ricky Williams told me "Hi", but Elton John gave me a full "Hello."
Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 PM
C@rl P@rk

Kelsey Grammer is two tables over from me right now...what should I do?

(Of course I am going to leave him alone)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Fred

Here's a fun one -

Anaheim Stadium at an Angels game. Got great seats for the game. Field level by third base.

Before the game there are quite a few people milling around the field. Andre Agassi is part of that crowd. Everybody is trying to get Andre to come to the railing and sign. He signs a few and then heads back towards the field. I figure if Andre is there then Steffi Graf might be there. Sure enough there she was and NOBODY recognized her. I wasn't too far from the railing and asked her to sign a baseball. She smiled, signed the auto and then said, "do you want the old man's too"? I said no thank you, I just wanted hers. She smiled and walked over to Andre and had him sign it too. Such a great memory.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Anson

Best in order:

Tony Gwynn
Brooks Robinson
Bob Feller
Stan Musial
Duke Snider

Worst in order:

Jose Canseco
Steve Young
Rickey Henderson
Old 01-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Curt Flood was my favorite player growing up. I met him at a card show and he was wearing a WS ring. I asked if it was '64 or '67 and he takes it off and hands it to me to hold. He also addressed the crowd before he began signing and thanked the fans for supporting him throughout his career. Class Act all the way.

Stan Musial. Growing up in St. Louis, of course I idolized The Man. I went to his STM offices one day to drop off the two scorecards from his 5 HR doubleheader to be signed. He happened to be there at the time and his staff asked me if I would like to meet him and get the autographs in person. Uh, yeah. Not only did he cheerfully sign the scorecards, he wrote "5 home runs" on each one and started telling me about that day. He laughed and said "I should have had 6 - Mays caught one at the centerfield wall!" We opened the scorecard and sure enough there it was. He said he never tried to hit homers but he really wanted one in his final at bat and popped out to first. Again, there it was. Such a genuinely nice man who made this lifelong Cardinal fan feel like we were old friends.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:34 PM

Default Bobby Orr

I grew up just west of Worcester, MA and was a huge Bruins fan.

Bobby Orr was my favorite player.

When I was about 13, Bobby Orr and some of the Bruins did a benefit game in my home town of Auburn, Ma, but unfortunately, I had to go to CCD.

On the way home from CCD, my dad spotted a limo going to the banquet center near our house. He followed the limo into the parking lot, and sure enough several bruins players including Orr were heading into the Yankee Drummer Inn to eat.

My dad, my twin brother, and I waited for what seemed like an eternity for the Bruins to come out. Our patience was rewarded when Bobby Orr stopped and talked to my brother and I for what seemed like 10 minutes.

He couldn't have been any nicer. We were awestruck! Just wished we had had something for him to sign.

Feel fortunate that my childhood hero lived up to his reputation.

Patrick
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM

No bad experiences, but several really good ones:

Met Wayne Gretzky 5 times - signed every time, more than one photo a few times. Once while working as an intern for the NY Islanders, I sat and talked to him for 15 minutes and then sat next to him while he was interviewed by the NY times. The only thing he ever said no to was when I asked him for a game used stick.

Basically every hockey player I've ever met has been great - and I've met hundreds. Every single Islander from the glory days (80-83) would sign for anyone at the practice rink or in the parking lot after the game.

played golf with Colton Orr 3 times - nice but soft spoken.

If you haven't met and hung out with Denny McClain you're missing something. he is a regular at card shows and he is the nicest funniest guys you would ever want to meet. one time I spent over an hour with him.

Met OJ in parking lot at Shea Stadium in 1974. Still have the card signed in ball point pen. Super nice even though he had to catch the bus - took the time.

Met Dr. J in vegas - did not ask for autograph or picture but spoke to him for several minutes - drunk but friendly.

Pete Rose was great - talk forever. This was at memorabilia shop in Vegas.

Derek Jeter - Was in Vegas for fight right after 2009 WS. Lucky enough to get into HBO pre fight party. Jeter walks in with his parents. Sudden hush in the room like Jesus just appeared. Everybody was intimidated and no one approached him - except me. I used my favorite line which basically nobody can turn down -"Hi Derek, my name is Rich and I really appreciate the opportunity to say hello." He had been keeping his head down and was giving off the stay away vibe, but I got him to stop. He shook my hand, perked up and genuinely became very friendly. I told him I am a die hard Met fan but always admired him and the way he played. We chatted for a few more minutes, I thanked him again, shook hands, and let him on his way. No one else approached him. the Yankee fans I was with were, and still are, in awe.

At that same party I met both Mayweathers - both great, Sr. was bombed but spoke to everybody. Also Jerome Bettis, CC Sabbathia, and the cast of Entourage. All as friendly as could be. only DB at that party was Will Farrell - too cool for everybody.

Bobby valentine - several times, remembers your name and will talk baseball all day.

Omar Minaya - super nice and will talk baseball all day.

Have more stories but you get the idea - I think it's all about being polite.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:05 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

My best experience was with Steve Garvey.

Very personable and friendly.

As a side story, he had accidentally left his drivers license where I worked. I was able to track down his mailing address and take the license to his PO box. I told the manager what happened and said they would make sure his license went to his box. I left a note with the license so Garvey would know where he left it and what happened.

About a week later his assistant showed up at my place of work with a signed ball complete with inscriptions of stats.

I personally met him shortly thereafter, and found him to be a class act.

I have worked with Bench directly, and he is all business. No disappointment as that is what I was expecting. During a book signing, he did interact with a 10 year old who was a catcher for a little league team. Bench asked the boy to get in a crouch so he could see the form. After signing a book and coaching the boy for a moment the childs dad was elated.

During the book signing, with clear guidlines, people would still want balls and bats and things signed by Bench. For those items, he has a website for obtaining a signature.

My wife worked with Jabbar previously and he is a total jerk.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Bruce Fairchild

The best:
Joe DiMaggio
He was on a tour of Air Force bases (something to do with promoting commissaries) and visited our little league. He signed two objects for all that wanted autographs. After that he was going to take a swing. His first swing was a ground ball and then his next was a hr over our 220' fence.
John Smoltz
My younger son, 14 at the time recognized John and his family eating at a Steak and Shake in Smyrna, Ga. We went to our car and my son ran back in to see John. John apologized to my son that the Braves had done so poorly that season and promised they would do better in 1990. He then signed a napkin for my son.

The worst:
When my oldest son was 15 my sister was able to get him into the Super Show in Atlanta. He returned home with about 20 posters signed by baseball, football and basketball stars. He told me that he saw Reggie Jackson in the hallway and when asked for an autograph and he refused, saying the he wasn't on the clock. Boo!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I'm not trying to excuse what he didn't do at that event. He really shouldn't have agreed to do it. That type of event is not in his comfort zone for sure. Who know's he could have had an agent agree to the deal and tell him to just show up? Still, not an excuse.

I just noticed that his body language changes when people approach him. In fact, after the 3rd day with him as I was dropping him off at his hotel, I asked him if he would be kind enough to sign two things for me, a 1962 issue of Sport Magazine and an 8 x10' of him in a Birmingham Black Barons uniform. I asked him without even getting the items out so as not to put pressure on him. He immediately started to grumble. Renee, his PR woman, said "Willie sign the stuff for him. He's been nothing but nice to you!" As soon as she said that, he relaxed, smiled and said give them to me. He signed them, shook my hand and said thank you and that he enjoyed meeting me and went on his way.

For whatever reason, something or someone has made him that way. He signs because he is knows he should, but he is not comfortable doing so. Not sure if it goes back to the days he grew up in Birmingham and its racial tensions and now inside he's perturbed that white people love him and want his autograph now that he got famous? Or if someone took advantage of him financially along the way? Or if he's bitter the players "today" make so much more than he ever did? Or something else? But in your situation, I would have been very disappointed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Chris, yes- I re-read your post, and that would explain Mays stand-offish attitude, yet it does not explain that when a promoter (in my real-life scenario, The Insurance Company The Equitable) is paying former players to show up at an old-timers game, and part of the agreement is that the players will attend a pre-game meeting at the hotel with special guests (meet, greet, sign autographs, etc.), then attend the old-timers game, then attend a post game get-together and dinner, and Mays didn't do anything but show up at the game. In other words, he took Equitable's money and did not fulfill his end of the contract. That's why my friend who worked for the Equitable said he would not be invited back.

Conversely, every other old-timer showed up at the pre-game, game, and post-game events and signed plenty of autos, posed for pics, etc. Ernie Banks was an incredible gentleman at the post-game dinner.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Ted Williams

In 1984, I recognized Ted Williams in Cooperstown. Ted and I had a really interesting conversation "talking baseball" and baseball cards.
The following is a pretty accurate recollection of my conversation with Ted. We talked for about 45 minutes.
I started the conversation by telling him that......

ME....."Ted, although I was an avid Yankees fan as a kid in the 1950's, I always rooted for you to hit a HR at Yankee Stadium."

And sure enough, many times I saw him hit a HR....usually up into the RF upper deck.

TED...."If you're a Yankees fan, why did you root for me to hit a HR ?"

ME....."Because your name is Ted; and besides, I always expected the Yankees would win the AL Pennant, anyways."

TED....(he smiled) and asked me...."so, why then are you a Yankees fan ?"

ME....."because Phil Rizzuto was my nearby neighbor in Hillside, NJ"

TED...."if the Scooter was on the Red Sox all those years, we would have been the Champs."

Then I turned the conversation to his BB cards. He was like a little kid....I still remember how enthusiastic he was "talking BB cards".

ME....."are you aware of how rare your 1954 Bowman card is ?" ......and, I showed Ted this card.

TED...."No, but I signed a contract with Sy Berger of Topps in 1954, and no other Gum Co. was allowed to portray me."

Then, without me asking him, Ted went on this long dissertation telling me how Sy Berger was annoyed with him in 1959. Fleer had
approached Ted's agent to do a series of 80 cards depicting Ted's life. Fleer offered Ted $500 for the Rights. Sy Berger countered it
with $1000 for Ted to stay with Topps. Ted started laughing, as he told me that a bidding war between Fleer and Topps ensued.
Finally, when Fleer upped the ante to $5000, Topps relented. There it is folks, the real story behind the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set....
straight from Ted, himself.

TED...."Just think about it, that was a lot of money back then just for having your pictures on a set of gum cards."

ME....."Ted, you ain't kidding, $5000 was my Dad's annual salary in 1959."

We talked some more as we walked. Then Ted ran into some dignitaries. He offered his hand to me, telling me that he really enjoyed
our conversation.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-19-2018, 02:23 PM
David McDonald

My buddy and I ran out onto the field at RFK to "help" roll out the tarp during a rain delay. Never forget the stink eye bestowed upon me by Manager Williams as we sprinted past the Senators' dugout, cops in pursuit. The babooze at the left doing a "rain dance" was me.

Best experience: Met Hank Greenberg outside Yankee Stadium in 1956 for a minute to get his autograph. He was kind and courtly. Worst: Met Don Larsen at a Barnes & Noble in Honolulu about ten years ago. About as charismatic as a desiccated turd.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
In 1984, I recognized Ted Williams in Cooperstown. Ted and I had a really interesting conversation "talking baseball" and baseball cards.
The following is a pretty accurate recollection of my conversation with Ted. We talked for about 45 minutes.
I started the conversation by telling him that......

ME....."Ted, although I was an avid Yankees fan as a kid in the 1950's, I always rooted for you to hit a HR at Yankee Stadium."

And sure enough, many times I saw him hit a HR....usually up into the RF upper deck.

TED...."If you're a Yankees fan, why did you root for me to hit a HR ?"

ME....."Because your name is Ted; and besides, I always expected the Yankees would win the AL Pennant, anyways."

TED....(he smiled) and asked me...."so, why then are you a Yankees fan ?"

ME....."because Phil Rizzuto was my nearby neighbor in Hillside, NJ"

TED...."if the Scooter was on the Red Sox all those years, we would have been the Champs."

Then I turned the conversation to his BB cards. He was like a little kid....I still remember how enthusiastic he was "talking BB cards".

ME....."are you aware of how rare your 1954 Bowman card is ?" ......and, I showed Ted this card.

TED...."No, but I signed a contract with Sy Berger of Topps in 1954, and no other Gum Co. was allowed to portray me."

Then, without me asking him, Ted went on this long dissertation telling me how Sy Berger was annoyed with him in 1959. Fleer had
approached Ted's agent to do a series of 80 cards depicting Ted's life. Fleer offered Ted $500 for the Rights. Sy Berger countered it
with $1000 for Ted to stay with Topps. Ted started laughing, as he told me that a bidding war between Fleer and Topps ensued.
Finally, when Fleer upped the ante to $5000, Topps relented. There it is folks, the real story behind the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set....
straight from Ted, himself.

TED...."Just think about it, that was a lot of money back then just for having your pictures on a set of gum cards."

ME....."Ted, you ain't kidding, $5000 was my Dad's annual salary in 1959."

We talked some more as we walked. Then Ted ran into some dignitaries. He offered his hand to me, telling me that he really enjoyed
our conversation.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Great story Ted, thanks for sharing. The 59 Fleer Ted Williams set is by far my favorite set. I have a NrMint(avg.) SGC graded set, I bought it raw from a fellow member.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Bruce Esser

My wife is a physician and is involved in a number of health initiatives. In the late 80's or early 90's she asked me to pick up a guest speaker for a diabetes awareness dinner (read fund raiser). I told her I only had my F350 truck and she said it was OK since he was a farmer from the Carolinas named Hunter.

He came in on an evening flight. I did my best impersonation of a limo driver with a sign for Mr. Hunter. He walked up to me and introduced himself as Jim Hunter. My knees buckled as I realized that it was Catfish Hunter. I stammered a little and told him he was my second favorite pitcher of all time after Bob Gibson. I told him my wife said to pick up a farmer from the Carolinas.

We talked about upland bird hunting and deer hunting all the way to the hotel. It was a great conversation. I did not think to ask him for an autograph. I had to leave the next morning for Denver so my wife picked him up for the dinner the next day. She came home with an autographed baseball for me.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 01-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Ottis Anderson- I seen him a a local fair in NJ. He was walking around so I approach him and said hi. ( with a bag of zeppolis) I said as you otttis Anderson and he said yes. I told him I was a fan and that I liked to use in in a video game ( super techmo bowl). He said he thought that Bo Jackson was the best player to use. I told him that I also like Bo Jackson. I offered him a zeppoli and he declined. I said by and started to walk away he stopped me and asked if I wanted a autograph. I said I do but I don’t have anything for him to sign.
Then I went back to my friends and they were all like who the hell were you just talking to? Lol

Kenyon Martin ( basketball) I worked a Macy’s as a stick boy back in the day. I was told to bring a big cart to the kids section. When I did there was a towering man and a few people picking out cloths for him. He didn’t like what they were giving him. He asked me if I thought kids would wear this stuff I said no.he smiled and ask me to help him pick some stuff out. He talked a lot . He told me about his kids. He was just going to the nuggets and they didn’t have Macy’s out there. I spent a lot of time with him and he paid with the biggest wad of money I ever seen. Then I help him to his ruck help load it, and he says is that all of it?
I said yes he said OK ! Wait do you want a autograph? I said I don’t have anything for him to sign and he took a piece of paper from my clip board and said here. Not gonna lie I wasupset at the time because he didn’t tip me. Even old ladies would give me 5 buck for taking a microwave to the car. This was a pallet and I carried it around for hours with him.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Larry

Best: Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew and Frank Howard. All very congenial, down to earth people willing to engage in at least brief conversation. I told Killebrew that I was pleased to meet him at an autograph show, even if he had been instrumental in beating my Tigers so many times. He replied, "Well, I'm very glad to meet you," and appeared to be very sincere in saying so. One of his neighbors said when he died that he was the kind of person that made the whole neighborhood feel safer! Treating people with respect until they prove themselves unworthy of it goes a long, long way. See Ted Z's story above with regard to meeting Ted Williams.

Worst: Derek Jeter and Reggie Jackson. The former was rude to the point of being insulting upon being very politely asked to autograph a baseball bearing the signatures from as many all-stars as I could get to sign at the hotel where they were staying for the 1999 game in Boston. He strongly insinuated that because I was an adult (then 46) I only wanted his autograph to sell it and make money. He stated he only signed for the kids, and indeed he was--signing for a number of kids who were repeatedly being fed balls for that purpose by a couple of dealers just a few yards away. What a jerk! His shabby treatment of Giancarlo Stanton recently with regard to waiving the latter's no-trade clause only serves to underscore that assessment. Stanton, notably, had the good grace not to sink to his level. I should add that Tony Gwynn and Joe Torre were extremely gracious in signing and even conversing a bit at the same time and place.

With Reggie, his act upon being asked for an autograph in even the most polite manner possible, when he was only standing all alone in the hotel lobby, was to treat you as if you weren't even there--completely invisible and inaudible, and unworthy of having your presence acknowledged in any way! Guess I didn't realize how special he still was at age 52 or 53.

Compare the latter two with Babe Ruth, who was known to sign until every person who wanted his autograph got one!

Best regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-19-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:18 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ve met a lot of athletes, but there are three that I remember not liking. At the top of the list, far away in the lead, is that pompous Reggie Jackson. I didn’t like Ralph Terry or Lynn Swann either, but they are not even in the same zip code as Reggie.