NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Is that true, though? I don't feel like the perception is that Jeter was as good as guys like Mantle and DiMaggio, just that he held a similar status among his teammates and enjoyed a similar amount of respect in the clubhouse and game at large.
Exactly. He holds the same status and respect without the career = overrated.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Exactly. He holds the same status and respect without the career = overrated.
He may have the same fame but I don't think any 'smart' baseball fan out there thinks he's on the same level of Mays and Mantle. Fame wise, he's right there.

If there's a tower of famous American athletes since the early 1980s, Michael Jordan is number 1 by a mile but that next step down will certainly have Jeter. Right now the guy with the highest Q rating in baseball is Bryce Harper. Is he the best player in the league? Of course not, but if he and Trout walk into a bar, he's the guy that non everyday baseball people turn and go, 'WOW THAT'S BRYCE HARPER!'

Jeter had a national farewell commercial by Nike! Who was the last guy to have one of those? Jordan.

I'm not trying to counter the 'Jeter is overrated' argument, folks can throw that out all they want. Just trying to point out that regardless of how his numbers stack up to guys like Mantle and Mays, his fame at the very least matches theirs.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
He may have the same fame but I don't think any 'smart' baseball fan out there thinks he's on the same level of Mays and Mantle. Fame wise, he's right there.

If there's a tower of famous American athletes since the early 1980s, Michael Jordan is number 1 by a mile but that next step down will certainly have Jeter. Right now the guy with the highest Q rating in baseball is Bryce Harper. Is he the best player in the league? Of course not, but if he and Trout walk into a bar, he's the guy that non everyday baseball people turn and go, 'WOW THAT'S BRYCE HARPER!'

Jeter had a national farewell commercial by Nike! Who was the last guy to have one of those? Jordan.

I'm not trying to counter the 'Jeter is overrated' argument, folks can throw that out all they want. Just trying to point out that regardless of how his numbers stack up to guys like Mantle and Mays, his fame at the very least matches theirs.
Harper would probably order a bottle of whiskey. Trout would order a milkshake and drink only half of it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM

Adam, clearly we will never convince each other that the other person is right. So, again, let's respectfully agree to disagree.

I don't think people compare Jeter to Ruth or Mantle's career accomplishments or stats, BUT I think most baseball fans (especially knowledgable of Yankee history), have him as last generation's Yankee superstar, who completes the chain chronologically...Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Munson, Reggie, Mattingly...and Jeter.

I still think people here (for an unknown reason) are downplaying the fact he is 6th on the all-time hits list (that's an enormous feat), as well as being a major contributor to 5 championships. When I look at him, I don't just look at stats on paper...there's many intangibles.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Harper would probably order a bottle of whiskey. Trout would order a milkshake and drink only half of it.

Lol. That's kind of funny!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That is a clown question, bro!!!

I know it was a joke but the funny thing is that Bryce Harper is a practicing Mormon and doesn’t drink alcohol.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
That is a clown question, bro!!!

I know it was a joke but the funny thing is that Bryce Harper is a practicing Mormon and doesn’t drink alcohol.
Interesting, was not aware of that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM

Is that true Rhett? Interesting for sure.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 AM

Ridiculous prices on the Jeter SP last night, via PWCC eBay auctions.

PSA 9 = $7000
SGC 9 = $4200
SGC 9.5 = $8700

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-16-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Just to be clear, I said his stats and career most closely resemble Paul Molitor. I agree that his level of fame is the same as the elite players in baseball history even though the performance isn’t there. Like I said, he had a great, 1st ballot HOF career. But he’s not one of the 5 greatest Yankees.

That being said, it is much better to be overrated than underrated.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:

Jordan is number 1 but I would put Tiger as a close number 2