NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Default ebay seller - probstein123

Any experience with him before?

Last edited by jimjim; 01-06-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Yeah. He takes on consigned items from other individuals as well as selling some items himself.

I have purchased and sold many items to him and haven't had any issues, but know some here have...If you do a search, i'm sure it will turn up a thread or two.

Like this one... http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t=probstein123
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 01-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Thanks. I was just wondering why his auctions consistently sell for significantly higher than other sellers auctions for the exact same items (ie. autographs). Just thought that was a bit strange. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Probably because there is rampant shilling going on in his auctions.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM

I don't have a horse in this race and do not want to be part of the discussion. To those who accuse him of shilling, your accusations are noted. I have no way of knowing weather he does or not. Obviously if it goes on it's a terrible thing.

Last edited by Real or fake?; 01-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real or fake? View Post
Probstein123 sells more memorabillia than any one seller on ebay. Many collectors know this and look out for his auctions. Also each auction brings attention to his other items. I have bought from his auctions multiple times and watch them frequently and I don't notice a crazy increase in the prices he gets. He also works on small percentages; meaning he takes a small percentage of the sale price as a consignment fee, so shilling wouldn't help him that much. Do you have any evidence that this happens, or are you making random accusations?
If you do a search for probstein on this site, you will eventually come to an absolute clusterf*** of a thread that went into some fairly sordid detail as I recall regarding some fairly damning evidence on the card side. I don't think that the accusation is that he himself is doing the shilling, but rather is fairly knowledgeable that it is happening and is doing nothing at all about it.

I don't really have a dog in the fight. I give him a lot of credit for the business that he has built.

Tom C
Old 01-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Perry Lin

It's not so much he shilling but his consignors shilling up their own items.

Per.ry l.in

Last edited by Leon; 01-07-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Probstein123 sells more memorabillia than any one seller on ebay. Many collectors know this and look out for his auctions. Also each auction brings attention to his other items. I have bought from his auctions multiple times and watch them frequently and I don't notice a crazy increase in the prices he gets. He also works on small percentages; meaning he takes a small percentage of the sale price as a consignment fee, so shilling wouldn't help him that much. Do you have any evidence that this happens, or are you making random accusations?
And your name is???? (rules of the forum)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinvestments View Post
It's not so much he shilling but his consignors shilling up their own items.
Again, and your name is????? Leon, am I wrong here???
Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Do you have any evidence that this happens, or are you making random accusations?
Yes, I have evidence. Read post #39 in this thread. I laid it out pretty clearly...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=174881

It's been pointed out to Rick several times that his consignors shill their items, yet he chooses to do nothing about it. He still lets them consign and he still lets them bid. How do you feel about that?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
keith janosky

I have looked at some of the bidders history on his auctions and have found many times the amount of bidders that have retracted there bids is amasing and high. Why Ebay even lets those bidders on is beyond me. Thought there was a limit on retractions before they kicked you off. Hum. keith janosky

Last edited by keithsky; 01-06-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I've bid on some of his items but the prices usually went above what I was willing to pay.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Last (and only) item I've won from them, somebody made 15 bids in $2 increments.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Damn. It has been awhile since we've had a 123 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Are you kidding? You can't be serious if you have been on this forum for longer than ten minutes. It has pretty much been proven beyond a reasonable doubt more times than most members can keep straight.

I agree with previous posts about people putting their names in if you are going to side with an obvious shiller.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

I never purchased anything from him, but have watched and bid on a few items but always go much higher then I would like to spend. Seems to have a few BIN that seem reasonable, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Do these 86 fleers look shilled??

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=380788247091
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-87-Flee...p2047675.l2557
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
The first link isn't working, but I would have to say yes on the second one. When an item has 80 bids and 47 of them are from the same person (with only 15 feedback), it's not a good thing - not to mention the 7 feedback bidder that bid 13 times.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 01-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The first link isn't working, but I would have to say yes on the second one. When an item has 80 bids and 47 of them are from the same person (with only 15 feedback), it's not a good thing - not to mention the 7 feedback bidder that bid 13 times.
That was my set.

I placed no bids, had no one place a bid, nor did I care what it actually ended at as it is profit from a purchase.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
That was my set.

I placed no bids, had no one place a bid, nor did I care what it actually ended at as it is profit from a purchase.
That lot may not have been shilled, but what about the ones that have been proven to be shilled? What about the whole Panky situation where he's been caught multiple times shilling his own consignments? Sean, why does Rick let him continue to consign? Don't you see anything wrong with that? You know Rick, please ask him.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Lightbulb

Quote:
That was my set.

That means nothing. Just because you personally didn't shill the auction, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Probstein has skin in the game, so it is in his best interest to get the highest fee possible. Plus it shows possible future customers that he can get top dollar for items.

I bet that if you sold the same item yourself that you would have had a much lower selling price. And don't tell me it is because of return customers. I have been buying/selling on eBay for 14 years, and buyers purchase based on the item and price. Seller reputation only goes so far, in my opinion.

Ma.tt Wy.llie

Last edited by Leon; 01-07-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
And don't tell me it is because of return customers. I have been buying/selling on eBay for 14 years, and buyers purchase based on the item and price. Seller reputation only goes so far, in my opinion.
+1
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Two choices for everyone in this thread. If your full name is not in your post then you need to put it. If you don't then I will tomorrow morning, per the rules...... Or you can edit your comments out. (If your comment was not any kind of an opinion then it's not mandatory)....Thanks

btw, this is the first I have seen of this thread. Believe it or not I don't read every single one. Folks can PM me for any anonymous issues on the board....and your PM will stay private....

Last edited by Leon; 01-06-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Two choices for everyone in this thread. If your full name is not in your post then you need to put it. If you don't then I will tomorrow morning, per the rules...... Or you can edit your comments out. Thanks

btw, this is the first I have seen of this thread. Believe it or not I don't read every single one. Folks can PM me for any anonymous issues on the board....and your PM will stay private....
Just how many peasants do you own?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Richard Simon

From someone who only skimmed the last thread about Probstein but has read this one thoroughly,,, it seems there is a lot of smoke here and when there is a lot of smoke there is naturally a lot of fire.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
That lot may not have been shilled, but what about the ones that have been proven to be shilled? What about the whole Panky situation where he's been caught multiple times shilling his own consignments? Sean, why does Rick let him continue to consign? Don't you see anything wrong with that? You know Rick, please ask him.
Have you called and asked him? He posts his cell publicly.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
That means nothing. Just because you personally didn't shill the auction, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Probstein has skin in the game, so it is in his best interest to get the highest fee possible. Plus it shows possible future customers that he can get top dollar for items.

I bet that if you sold the same item yourself that you would have had a much lower selling price. And don't tell me it is because of return customers. I have been buying/selling on eBay for 14 years, and buyers purchase based on the item and price. Seller reputation only goes so far, in my opinion.
So are you saying Probstein shills his own auctions or asks someone to shill his auctions for him?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Have you called and asked him? He posts his cell publicly.
I don't care to talk to that worthless piece of sh!t. His actions speak for themselves.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I don't care to talk to that worthless piece of sh!t. His actions speak for themselves.
You just verified that an auction you thought was shilled... Was not...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
So are you saying Probstein shills his own auctions or asks someone to shill his auctions for him?
No, I am not saying that. I am saying that he gets higher prices on his auctions for items than other sellers.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No, I am not saying that. I am saying that he gets higher prices on his auctions for items than other sellers.

So if return customers aren't the reason for that item selling for the price it did... What is it?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Dan Bretta

Anyone who doesn't believe there is rampant shilling in his auctions has their head in the sand. I don't care if it's him, the consignors or the boogey man...it's been obvious in many cases.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You just verified that an auction you thought was shilled... Was not...
It's been proven that Rick allows shilling on his auctions as it's been pointed out to him multiple times and he's done absolutely nothing about it. That is not an accusation, that is a fact. How can you set there and defend that or even do business with him for that matter?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
It's been proven that Rick allows shilling on his auctions as it's been pointed out to him multiple times and he's done absolutely nothing about it. That is not an accusation, that is a fact. How can you set there and defend that or even do business with him for that matter?
And how does he know that that auction wasn't shilled?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I remember saying you had such good proof... I don't remember ever seeing it posted... Did I miss a thread?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Is Rick a personal friend of yours, Sean?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

This almost seems like a Travis and TPAs thread.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
I remember saying you had such good proof... I don't remember ever seeing it posted... Did I miss a thread?
No, the threads are real Sean, they are on the card side
Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Is Rick a personal friend of yours, Sean?
No he is not.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
This almost seems like a Travis and TPAs thread.
Please don't ever compare me to Travis. I have not once said I do not believe shilling has occurred in Rick's auctions. But your constant berating is unnecessary.

Last edited by Sean1125; 01-06-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
No, the threads are real Sean, they are on the card side
Dave went far above and beyond saying he had 'hard evidence'. I can't find it in any of the threads.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Tom Boblitt

And how could you not care what a lot sells for if it was profit from another deal.....if that's so, why wouldn't you just auction it yourself? 2+2=5 there.......
Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
And how could you not care what a lot sells for if it was profit from another deal.....if that's so, why wouldn't you just auction it yourself? 2+2=5 there.......
Money isn't the world. Items sell for what they sell. I view what I do as 'day trading' for cards. Win some lose some.

Because I fly around the country. It is much easier sending it to Rick, having him list it, pack it, ship it, and getting paid the next day regardless of if the auction is actually paid?

Last edited by Sean1125; 01-06-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Did I miss a thread?
I guess you did. Here it is...

See post #39. I laid out all the evidence and connected all the dots. Any questions?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I guess you did. Here it is...

See post #39. I laid out all the evidence and connected all the dots. Any questions?
That is not what I am referring to. I will reiterate, I have not once said I do not believe shilling has occurred in Rick's auctions. You went above and beyond this post saying you had proof that Rick had done something worse... For some reason the search function on my e-mail isn't working or I would pull the PM to get the exact wording.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Can someone show me the "hard evidence" of Panky still consigning and shilling with Rick?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Can someone show me the "hard evidence" of Panky still consigning and shilling with Rick?
That would be what I am referring to.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I'm not defending Rick or blasting anyone here, I just want to know if there is any truth to this claim. If there is, I would like to see some sort of evidence to this claim. It is a fairly serious accusation.

Last edited by jhs5120; 01-06-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM

I will make my stance clear since several members are misinterpreting it.

- I have no comment when it comes to shilling. I do not deny that it happened.
- I have not and will not ever shill my own auctions.
- The constant berating of Rick is unnecessary and uncalled for.
- The SUPER MAJORITY of auctions are fine. I do not see comments ever made on those.
- I have offered to e-mail Rick on anyone's behalf who believe an auction is being shilled. He will act accordingly if it is.
- When his name is mentioned in conversation and the first thing out of the persons mouth (actually happened today viewing an inventory), "oh so you shill your auctions?" It hurts. Not everyone is honest and I get grouped into them because of your comments.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post

Quote:
That would be what I am referring to.
This has already been discussed as well. But we can revisit is again. If you look at Probstein's stores, Panky's is "The GEM Collection."