NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Default Dump Days are becoming Dump Months on ebay

I remember when everyone was becoming disgruntled when ebay had one of its "Dump Days" and Mike Wheat, yebpg, and several other dealers would put their whole inventories on eBay, drowning out the auctions and BINs of "new" cards which had not previously been on ebay. It was a pain not only for the collector trying to transverse the minefield of high priced BINs which had been on eBay 10-15 times already, but hurt the collector/small dealer who was hoping for exposure to his offerings.
Now with the new eBay rules which are friendly to the fixed price inventories of major dealers, the dump days are occurring over and over again, as the same old overpriced cards flood the pre-war listings.
I'd like to just search "auctions" and avoid having to thumb through all the overpriced cards which have been on eBay constantly but I'm afraid I'll miss that one "new" BIN which is something I actually need and has never been listed previously.
Sorry for the rant....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM

I agree. I'm tired of seeing the same cards from Mike Wheat over and over again - all priced 2-3x over reasonable. I'm always amazed when I just look at the real auctions and the number of cards goes down by over 90%. So many overpriced BINs ....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Tim M

I may miss some opportunities, but I only search auctions only, same reason.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

It must be working for him - he's been doing this for ten years.

As such, how can you blame him? When I started collecting again after a 5-year hiatus, I was surprised to see some of these guys still in business (there are plenty of them) - sellers who according to my own sensibility about selling, should never have survived.

I suspect that they are selling a lot at much lower prices, via off-ebay offers, saving ebay expenses. Further evidence is that most of them have BIN's, but no 'Make offer' button.

There are at least two of these guys who I used to buy from regularly. I shied away from them for a long time, then simply made them reasonable offers and was stunned when I was never rejected.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:06 PM
J.O.N

I search price ranges for specific cards sometimes for this very reason.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.

Last edited by Jcfowler6; 11-01-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added s to sometimes.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM

I search only auctions, but still see the same cards coming up again and again from the same dealers with high minimum bids.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Steven

I dont understand why theres not a cap to how many times the same item can be put up for sale. This logic that floods the searches could be hurting business as it drives away buyers to other places. I love ebay but are a lot of pieces to it I hate and this is one.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I don't understand why there's not a cap to how many times the same item can be put up for sale
Possibly because it would be impossible to enforce.

Also, ebay would have to "care" on some level, which we all know they don't.

Doug
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Alan U

I know sellers wouldn't like it, but I would love to be able to exclude sellers in searches in the same way you can block specific users from bidding on your items.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I know sellers wouldn't like it, but I would love to be able to exclude sellers in searches in the same way you can block specific users from bidding on your items.
YES!!! That is definitely what we need.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
N.ate A.dams

I agree, but I also have enjoyed the 1 cent auction days/ or free auction days. They have, indeed, had 2 of them in a row. The last 2 Tuesdays.

There are some sellers that use it to their advantage, and price things reasonably, but 85% of the items are nonsensical with regard to pricing.

I know longer am able to bid on yepdg's items - heh heh. I guess my offers for his BINs were simply too reasonable.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

For all the above reasons, I just start all my auctions at .01 and let them run.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

If I do a buy it now, I usually list the card's SMR value or recent sales on VCP.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
Stop the presses! You can exclude sellers from your searches. I do it all the time and I've set-up a few searches just for dump days (which excludes the usual suspects and then some, ie: yep, wheat, battersbox, Kit, 707, etc, etc, etc).

Do your usual search and then find the "ADVANCED" menu. Once there, scroll towards the bottom until you see "SELLERS"..............click the "ONLY SHOW ITEMS" option, and then either "INCLUDE" or more importantly "EXCLUDE" who you want. That is it, save it and your good to go.

Hopefully, that is what you mean and I am not just having a bad dream.

Lovely day....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Stop the presses! You can exclude sellers from your searches. I do it all the time and I've set-up a few searches just for dump days (which excludes the usual suspects and then some, ie: yep, wheat, battersbox, Kit, 707, etc, etc, etc).

Do your usual search and then find the "ADVANCED" menu. Once there, scroll towards the bottom until you see "SELLERS"..............click the "ONLY SHOW ITEMS" option, and then either "INCLUDE" or more importantly "EXCLUDE" who you want. That is it, save it and your good to go.

Hopefully, that is what you mean and I am not just having a bad dream.

Lovely day....
Thanks, had no idea you could do this!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Richard L.

"I know sellers wouldn't like it, but I would love to be able to exclude sellers in searches in the same way you can block specific users from bidding on your items."

You have been always able to....I thought this was general knowledge.

Click on advanced search,then find items,scroll down a bit under sellers. You have the choice to include or exclude specific sellers.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I remember when everyone was becoming disgruntled when ebay had one of its "Dump Days" and Mike Wheat, yebpg, and several other dealers would put their whole inventories on eBay, drowning out the auctions and BINs of "new" cards which had not previously been on ebay. It was a pain not only for the collector trying to transverse the minefield of high priced BINs which had been on eBay 10-15 times already, but hurt the collector/small dealer who was hoping for exposure to his offerings.
Now with the new eBay rules which are friendly to the fixed price inventories of major dealers, the dump days are occurring over and over again, as the same old overpriced cards flood the pre-war listings.
I'd like to just search "auctions" and avoid having to thumb through all the overpriced cards which have been on eBay constantly but I'm afraid I'll miss that one "new" BIN which is something I actually need and has never been listed previously.
Sorry for the rant....
I so very much agree with you, I myself grow exhausted from flipping through all those dead BINs. Something should be done
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM

Wow! Thanks so much, doing a pre-war search while excluding certain sellers and the words like "reprint" and it seems like the old days again!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 PM
N.ate A.dams

Worse yet..................the guy who sells "images" of T206 cards, T205 cards, T207 cards, T212 cards - etc.

I want to strangle him.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Zach

Reprints kill me, I do not own a single one, I hate when I search google (I search google when I am desperate) for some N162 cards (trying to build up the HOFers in that set) and I see a listing on ebay for 8.99, so I think that could be an auction but it turns out to be the same reprint that has been sittin for a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.jpg (76.4 KB, 72 views)