NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default T206 Cobb (Bat-Off) 7.5 Sale on eBay

I followed this one purely out of curiosity. Can anyone explain the relatively low final amount? I mean $3500 is about right for an SGC 4.5 version of this issue, right? Here's the link . . .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Ty-Cob...D/382529137429
Old 07-28-2018, 10:26 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Still 8 days to go.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:28 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Maybe the older holder will keep people away. SGC will not honor the grade since it pre-dates the 2 grade label.

Last edited by DeanH3; 07-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:33 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Still 8 days to go.
Yep, plenty to happen in more than 8 days. It won't sell for close to that, especially now that it's been called out.

Did you really mean to post that link or did you get duped by the eBay redirect on closed auctions?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-28-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Sorry, I somehow thought it had ended already . . . long day has gotten to me, I guess! It will be interesting to see where it ends up though, right?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
Maybe the older holder will keep people away. SGC will not honor the grade since it pre-dates the 2 grade label.
Dean, what do you mean by this? Because it doesn’t have the one-digit equivalent on the flip, SGC will not honor the flip?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Is the bottom edge curved or just the scan?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Dean, what do you mean by this? Because it doesn’t have the one-digit equivalent on the flip, SGC will not honor the flip?
It won't automatically reholder, no. That is SGC's policy with respect to cards graded by old (pre 2004 or so) ownership.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It won't automatically reholder, no. That is SGC's policy with respect to cards graded by old (pre 2004 or so) ownership.
So much for the G ( guarantee ) in SGC

I had no idea

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-29-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

i did not know that either
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
This is my understanding as well. Flips without the dual grades will not be guaranteed by SGC. Those were graded under the previous ownership.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys. So this card was graded under previous ownership and new ownership, who has been in place for 14+ years, won’t stand behind the grades and work of its predecessor?
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks guys. So this card was graded under previous ownership and new ownership, who has been in place for 14+ years, won’t stand behind the grades and work of its predecessor?
For good reason, in my opinion... just saying.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:18 AM

Good to know, thanks. But certainly troubling - they are basically saying anything done before new ownership is unreliable, which begs the question, why buy the company and it’s fundamentally unreliable product?
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. But certainly troubling - they are basically saying anything done before new ownership is unreliable, which begs the question, why buy the company and it’s fundamentally unreliable product?
Tiny operation -- change who's in charge of grading and you have a brand new company.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:03 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have a Namath rookie with the old label. Not terribly worried about it as it is VG.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 AM

If SGC isn't going to stand behind the older grades, are those cards still acknowledged on their population report? If the answer is yes, something is very wrong.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:10 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

There is a lot to be said about the above arguments. Having said that, older graded SGC cards have never bothered me. Like GAI, when they first came out they were almost comparable to PSA price wise, but the newness wore out. This card is a 6 IMO.....
Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
There is a lot to be said about the above arguments. Having said that, older graded SGC cards have never bothered me. Like GAI, when they first came out they were almost comparable to PSA price wise, but the newness wore out. This card is a 6 IMO.....
IMO they had two issues under the old regime. One, they barely counted centering. Two, they put more than their share of bad cards in slabs. IMO.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-29-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I sold a Just So to Olbermann, on ebay, about 15+ yrs ago. I didn't remember about his Doyle fiasco (I think that was it) and told him he didn't need to worry as the Just So was graded by SGC. I got a good story told to me after that.

Quote:
IMO they had two issues under the old regime. One, they barely counted centering. Two, they put more than their share of bad cards in slabs. IMO.

Last edited by Leon; 07-29-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Scott

What’s the Just So story?
Old 07-29-2018, 09:20 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
For good reason, in my opinion... just saying.
Then why buy the company, and consequently the name? If the historical standards are sub par, why buy the company? Usually you are buying the previously established name, familiarity, and credibility, along with an established sales record and an existing customer base.

When you buy a brand name, you are buying the good with the bad. Otherwise, just start up your own company.

"I'm buying a company, but their reputation isn't that great so I am not going to honor their old warranties."
Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
What’s the Just So story?
It's the story of Keith buying a T206 Doyle Nat'l variation, graded by SGC. It turned out that the card was doctored.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's way easier to buy something that's already up and running.
Look at the handful of new grading companies in the last few years and the reaction to them here. That says all you need to know about how hard getting started is.
I'd rather buy GAI than start from scratch - unless I was going to do something genuinely novel. And even then maybe
Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Then why buy the company, and consequently the name? If the historical standards are sub par, why buy the company? Usually you are buying the previously established name, familiarity, and credibility, along with an established sales record and an existing customer base.

When you buy a brand name, you are buying the good with the bad. Otherwise, just start up your own company.

"I'm buying a company, but their reputation isn't that great so I am not going to honor their old warranties."
The collecting public at large was not necessarily aware of the issues, as I recall SGC had a good reputation. And much easier to buy an existing industry player with a facility equipment and materials in place than start from scratch. Anyhow, just speculating, can't speak for Dave.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-30-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

regardless of the flip, it's still a really nice card! Sometimes the nuances of grades get in the way of a great card.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-30-2018, 08:56 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post

I wasn't collecting at that time, but did they offer a certain time period when collectors would be allowed to submit these cards for a reholder? Maybe they had a cutoff date after which the old labels wouldn't be honored.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM

Default SGC vs. PSA

Years ago there were many SGC vs. PSA threads and responses. As I recall, a lot of folks here preferred SGC for various reasons. Were we all that much out to lunch plugging SGC? Was the cumulative expertise of this board's members sub-par? Has PSA done so much a better job throughout the years? I suspect the answers are no, no and no. We could talk about that T206 Wagner - gee, its in a PSA slab.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:05 PM

I spoke with SGC today regarding the aforementioned concerns. I was told that they treat all cards that are submitted for regrading, or re-encapsulation the same, whether or not the card is 1 year old, or 20 years old. If during the process the card gets a downgrade, I was told that they reimburse the difference. Oh boy!! I know that sucks and is totally a bunch of garbage considering the rarity of some of these cards. How might that figure be agreed upon on my Old Mill Jackson that is now considered trimmed ? Just a hypothetical point. Seems they're trying to do the right thing. Why would they downgrade a card knowing they're advertising paying the difference? The easy thing to do is to just give it a re-slab, and out the door it goes. I'm frustrated by this entire topic, but I'm still choosing SGC over PSA..

Scott