NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Let's see some letters with great content.

I think letters with interesting content are my favorite thing to collect. Here are some inexpensive examples. Would love to see others.

Brief descriptions, from left to right starting in the top row. I've also inserted links in case you want to see the person's page on CooperstownExpert.com

1. Ford Frick letter dated two months after the first HoF induction. Frick writes about Christy Mathewson's autograph.

2. Sam Breadon letter to Stan Musial for contract negotiations just after Musial's first year and just before his first MVP season. The rest of the letter and other letters from the same negotiation are found on either guy's page.

3. Letter about a ball signed by George Wright. Imagine having that! It's from Warren Giles.

4. Letter about Ripken, McGwire, Sosa, and Maris from then-Marlins advance scout Joe Moeller.

5. Letter about Sandy Koufax picking up a save for teammate and letter author Joe Moeller.

6. Details about the signing of Tony Gwynn from then-Padres scout Gary Sutherland. Fun content.

7. William Harridge letter to Clark Griffith instructing him to give the AL Season Pass to President Eisenhower and VP Nixon.

Please share your letters, inexpensive or not!
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Andy H

I wrote a TTM request to Johnny Bower just before he passed away. He accidentally signed my index card on the wrong side. He preceded to give me a signed picture, ANOTHER index card signed on the unlined side and returned my letter with a note saying "sorry I signed the wrong side, I hope this makes it up to you, JB."

Class act. RIP Mr. Bower.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards

Last edited by Wrightfan85; 12-17-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

I collect 19th century baseball letters, as well as Civil War letters with Mississippi content. This one has both, mentioning a friend getting injured at Port Hudson and their cricket club changing over to baseball:

City of Plymouth Mass. June 22nd '63

"Perhaps you may be interested in knowing that "The Plymouth Rock Cricket Club" has been turned into "the Plymouth Rock Base Ball Club", where at "Ben" is quite dissatisfied. Most of us think that rather a better game than Cricket, and we play the New York game."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17629a_lg.jpg (77.9 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 17629b_lg.jpg (77.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I collect 19th century baseball letters, as well as Civil War letters with Mississippi content. This one has both, mentioning a friend getting injured at Port Hudson and their cricket club changing over to baseball:

City of Plymouth Mass. June 22nd '63

"Perhaps you may be interested in knowing that "The Plymouth Rock Cricket Club" has been turned into "the Plymouth Rock Base Ball Club", where at "Ben" is quite dissatisfied. Most of us think that rather a better game than Cricket, and we play the New York game."
How about that? Sweet content and great part of the game to collect. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Richard Simon

I have posted this before but it is my favorite and I never miss a chance to post this great letter from a great man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenberg-als.jpg (67.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg greenberg-envel.jpg (59.2 KB, 151 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Wow. Just wow. That Greenberg letter is amazing. Captures so perfectly the sentiments of so many in that era.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Bill H@e1ig

From one Hall of Famer to another:

Old 12-18-2018, 07:08 AM
Jim Smiley

Neat to see Weaver get disciplined a little! Imagine a $200 fine today!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Richard, here's a follow-up to your Greenberg letter. I used to own this one, but foolishly sold it on ebay at straight auction, for I think around $35.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto-Greenberg letter.jpg (70.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 03:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Transcript of the previous letter post:

March 4, 1968

Dear Roger -
Having served 4 1/2 years in the Air Force during World War II, it hardly seems possible that young men are once again leaving their homes to serve in another war. I hope your tenure in the service will not be as long as mine and that you will return safe and sound and proud of your contribution to your country, as I was.

Your mother tells me of your love for baseball and I hope you will be able to continue your interest in the game while you are away.

God speed, good luck and my very best wishes.

Cordially yours,
Hank Greenberg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Here is letter from Mel Ott to New York HOF sportswriter and future BBHOF museum curator, Ken Smith.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 12-18-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Rick

Jackie Robinson's sentiments about watching baseball games after he retired. Speaks to his competitive nature.

Rick

Jackie Robinson letter 30%.jpg
Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Richard, here's a follow-up to your Greenberg letter. I used to own this one, but foolishly sold it on ebay at straight auction, for I think around $35.
$35????
Wish I had seen it.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-20-2018, 11:16 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Ty Cobb writes back to a fan inquiring about what it was like playing with her father. Also, instructs her on how to gain access to his playing stats/records.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0560 (1).jpg (72.0 KB, 68 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Paul

Default Bobby Byrne & Doc Steen

Don't think Byrne signed Milan's -- or had Milan's signed for Doc Steen. But he managed to get Milan's signature one way or the other!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-20-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:34 PM

Default Nolan Ryan Letters

Here are a couple of great letters that relate to Nolan Ryan's time spent with the California Angels:

1) Nolan's hand written letter to the Traveling Secretary of the NY Mets dated January 30, 1972. Nolan thanks him for all of his help while on the Mets and discusses his very early beginnings with the California Angels. Historic in nature as it covers what arguably was one of the best or worst trades in history. Terrible trade for the Mets- An over-the-hill Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan and 3 other players. Incredible trade for the Angels!

One special note which not everyone knows:
Nolan Ryan struggles with dyslexia. Hand written letters like this are extremely rare for this reason.

2) A December 7th, 1974 letter from Nolan Ryan to Angels GM Harry Dalton outlining his request of a $500K multi-year contract. Check out GM Dalton's sarcastic hand written notes on the letter. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Letter 1.jpg (39.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Letter 2.jpg (32.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan 1st no-hitter action photo 1973 001.jpg (77.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-20-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 PM

Default Great letter from Johnny Vander Meer regarding his punk-ass nephew- Vandy goes off!

I love this hand written letter from Vandy to his long-time booking agent Bob Allen regarding his punk-ass nephew & how to deal with his antics.
A fun read. Vandy was a no nonsense kind of guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vander Meer letter to Bob Allen .jpg (46.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Vander Meer 1938 at Crosley Field photo.jpg (70.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-20-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Default The most prescient fan letter ever? Great HOF Nolan Ryan content

This is seriously one of the greatest fan letters that I recall reading...

Superfan Stephen Winsten, a transplant from NYC, took the time to write a (somewhat colorful- LOL ) account of what he noticed about Nolan Ryan's pitching struggles as a NY Met and how to groom him to be the star that he certainly would be. The letter was sent to California GM Harry Dalton immediately after the Angels got him in a trade that sent SS Jim Fregosi (RIP) to the NY Mets
Dalton read the letter, seemed to see merit in some of Winsten's observations and forwarded copies of the letter to Pitching Coach Tom Morgan and Angels Manager in 1972 Del Rice.
Letter originated from the Angels file on Nolan Ryan.

Tom Morgan is credited with turning Nolan's career around along with catcher Jeff Torborg (Ryan's 1st no-hitter). Winsten's guidance was actually based on pretty solid scouting for a fan, and this letter undoubtedly helped Tom Morgan develop a plan for harnessing Nolan's undeniable talent. I personally would give Steve Winsten an A+ for his wisdom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dalton letter re Ryan 1.jpg (52.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Dalton letter re Ryan 2.jpg (56.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Dalton letter re Ryan 3.jpg (55.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Dalton letter re Ryan 4.jpg (55.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Dalton letter re Ryan 5.jpg (37.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan 1972.jpg (67.6 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-20-2018 at 09:08 PM.