NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-03-2023, 06:03 PM

Default 1974 Topps Dick Green

If I'm asking a question which has been answered elsewhere, apologies - is this really Dick Green turning the double play?

I am going through the 70s sets trying to pinpoint dates for specific cards with action shots.

I believe that the baserunner is Ben Oglivie of the Red Sox and that this is a 1972 game in Oakland, NOT 1973.

But, in all of Ben's games that year in Oakland, including more than one where he was at the leading end of a DP, the second baseman was either Tim Cullen or Larry Brown.

Is it not Ben? Is it not Oakland? Is it not 1972? Is it not even Green??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74-392Fr.jpg (17.5 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by deweyinthehall; 10-03-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:09 PM

I think this has been discussed before and it was determined to be Ted Kubiak and Ben Oglivie and it was a double play, unless I have this mixed up with another card. ETA, I might be conflating this card with the 1975 Topps AL Playoff card.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 10-03-2023 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-03-2023, 07:46 PM
Bobw

It looks like Kubiak to me......the cheek to the chin.....
Old 10-03-2023, 08:14 PM

If it is Kubiak, the only date it could be is 7/22/72 in Boston - Oglivie PH for Monty in the bottom of the 9th and got a 1-out single, but Tommy Harper grounded into a DP to end the game and the Sox took the loss, 5-3 in the first game of a double header - they played 6 games in 4 days in Boston, two dates having double headers.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:30 AM

https://tht.fangraphs.com/tht-live/a...to-dick-green/

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 10-04-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Looks like the conclusion of their chat agrees with Kubiak and Oglivie in '72
Old 10-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Todd Schultz

Yes, you nailed it. Now can you impress me further by identifying the game action shown on Dick Green's 1973 card? (Borrowed scan from ebay--someone can show a smaller one and I will delete this if too large)
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-04-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Yes, you nailed it. Now can you impress me further by identifying the game action shown on Dick Green's 1973 card? (Borrowed scan from ebay--someone can show a smaller one and I will delete this if too large)
We can say two things about this image - 1) it was taken in Oakland, and 2) it was taken before 1972.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine....
Old 10-04-2023, 06:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyinthehall View Post
We can say two things about this image - 1) it was taken in Oakland, and 2) it was taken before 1972.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine....
A 3rd: how embarrassing to have that as your Topps card for the year.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:59 PM
Bobw

IF he committed an error in the picture he only made 5 errors in Oakland in 1971....11 overall:

April 30 Cleveland
June 27 Kansas City
July 11 California
August 22 Boston
September 12 Minnesota

but if he ended up throwing out the runner after the picture was taken...disregard this post.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:43 PM
Todd Schultz

We can also tell that it is a day game.

Interestingly, Marc Okkonen's resource on uniforms, while not 100% accurate, tells us that the A's did not wear this color combination at home in 1969-72, and while they did in 1968, both home and away uni's said Oakland. He seems to be wrong on this one, unless this is game action from the road (unlikely).

Bob, I'm not sure there was an error on the play. Seems to me that he is handling a throw, either from home or more likely first, because he is covering the bag and is not likely to have been fielding a grounder there. It doesn't seem like the ball got away from him very far, and it may be that if there was an error it would have been charged on the throw. It could also have been something as innocuous as a throw down to second after warm-up pitches. My two cents.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-04-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Bobw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
We can also tell that it is a day game.

Interestingly, Marc Okkonen's resource on uniforms, while not 100% accurate, tells us that the A's did not wear this color combination at home in 1969-72, and while they did in 1968, both home and away uni's said Oakland. He seems to be wrong on this one, unless this is game action from the road (unlikely).

Bob, I'm not sure there was an error on the play. Seems to me that he is handling a throw, either from home or more likely first, because he is covering the bag and is not likely to have been fielding a grounder there. It doesn't seem like the ball got away from him very far, and it may be that if there was an error it would have been charged on the throw. It could also have been something as innocuous as a throw down to second after warm-up pitches. My two cents.
You're right....the more I look at it....it could be any type of play you mentioned.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:34 PM
+0m J()rd@N

My bet is he was taking a throw from the catcher on a stolen base. As someone mentioned earlier, he would not have been set like this on second base on a batted ball. And if the throw bounced, which it looks like this one may have, and he mishandled it, there would not have been an error on him on the play.

But what really pokes at me is the guy in the upper left with the blue shirt seemingly taking a leak from the first row of the outfield bleachers.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-05-2023, 08:24 AM
Larry More.y

Well, even after 5 months preparing for this intense venture/video, this youtuber is still puzzled by the Dick Green card's image...one of the few action shots he could not narrow down and identify a date for based on the image used in the 1973 set. Did the youtuber mistakenly think an error was made?

Overall, an awesome video and well worth watching the entire video. The link will take you to the chapter where the Green card is discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GG_bIHpsUo&t=2159s

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 10-05-2023 at 08:25 AM.