NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Default Lets talk Tango Eggs...

I know that in the past there has been some conflicting stories about "The Find". I'm just hoping to get a little bit better of insight to the actual Number amount of each of the Cards that were part of the original find. The Letter only show Cards in an approximate amount.

I'd like to verify the Cards and their total if possible...

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tango_Letter.jpg (36.9 KB, 455 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
qualitycards

I'm sure Anthony will chime in as he knows more about this issue then anyone I know.

Here's the most populated card

Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Tony N.

Default Wagner

Has anyone actually seen the Honus Wagner Tango eggs?

Or is this just a myth up to this point?

Tony
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Daryl

Well the Cobb showed up, so who knows?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I have a strong theory that there actually 48 cards in the set, we just haven't seen them all.
Uncataloged is this Rebel Oakes. It has a similar stamp on the back as the Cobb that recently was discovered, and was definitely pre find.

BTW, some of the info in the REA writeup and the letter above is inaccurate. There are at least 2 Morgans, and I can account for 3 Crawfords and 4 Bresnahans in collections that I know of, including my examples. I"m sure there are more.

Last edited by Griffins; 03-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:51 PM
J@son M1ller

Nice card, Anthony. Love how his glove is reaching out of the frame.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:32 AM

Anthony,
That card is a beauty!
JimB
Old 03-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Barry Arnold

Default anthony

that is one of the most beautiful cards i've seen!!!
I,too, am in awe of that image of the card transcending the frame!
all the best, ole buddy

barry
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Ok, found my notes.
Frank Ward has stated a few times on various boards that Tango Eggs were known to exist before the find. Since I've always found Frank to be a solid source of knowledge and never passing off speculation or fuzzy memory as fact, I took his words as fact and worked backwards to try and prove them.

In my mind, this proof came in the form of the Oakes above, and was corroborated by the Cobb that surfaced last year. Both were obviously in considerably lesser condition than the rest of the find that came up about '91, and seemed to indicate that they were in circulation since '16.
You'll note that the stamp on the back of the Oakes reads " No. 435"
The Cobb that was found last year and sold in Goodwins auction is stamped "No. 552" which leads me to several theories (and I stress it should be taken just as that, speculation)

- Each card that was released was numbered. Perhaps for some sort of redemption, perhaps not. But the fact that Numbers 435 and 552 have been found leads me to believe there were at least 552 issued.

-The set now numbers 19 known. This is fact. 16 in the REA auction, plus the acknowledged (by Rob) Cobb and Schaeffer, plus my Oakes. My speculation is that that is an odd number to print, and doesn't make sense. You don't leave blank space on a printing sheet- it's a waste of money, since you're still paying for paper, ink and press time. Given the parallels between this set and the E106 set it is plausible that the set initially totaled 48 subjects, with a different back (Tango Eggs) printed on that set. Each known Tango card has the exact same front as the corresponding card in the E106 set, just with a different back and in a few cases (Weaver among them) the Tango set has changed the correct name of the player in the E106 set to an incorrect identification when printed for Tango. If this theory is correct then there was (or is) another pose of Cobb, a couple of different Wagners, as well as a Matty, Marquard, Lajoie, Speaker, Bender and McGraw, among others. One prominent collector has always insisted he either has or has owned 2 different Cobbs, but has never produced images.

- Again, there is no reason to have 300 Beschers printed and only 1 Cobb. The same amount was probably printed of each card, but neither Bescher nor Jennings were probably ever distributed, and Cobb and Oakes were. There were a handful of leftovers of Morgan (the letter above and the REA description states there is only one of these, which is incorrect. There are at least 2) and Crawford and Bresnahan, et al, so those were kept in the pile that eventually became "the find".

Like most E cards of the era, Tango Eggs exhibit incredible color and by being hidden away for 75 years has provided an opportunity to obtain examples (most often the relatively common Bescher and Jennings) in near pristine condition for a low price. It will be interesting to see if any more surface.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

strange thing about the letter above is it says "1993" the find was discovered before 1993...

some images...

here is an image I saved of that vintage wear Cobb (standing w/bat) that surfaced a while back, same stamp as Anthony's beautiful Oakes card

this is an ad Mr Mint put in the SCD about 20 years ago (June 12, 1992) to test the market demand on the "find" cards. From my understanding he never even owned the cards at this time (if ever), but did this just to see how many phone calls he would get (I called him super quick and was told they were all Sold), thus knowing if he should buy the cards outright, to resell.

Last edited by fkw; 03-25-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

That explains a lot. I called too, a bit later since I got SCD from the local shop. Left a message and never heard back.

Besides not liking the boastful flasiness I've held that against him for probably too long.

I did work at a show where the table I worked at was right across from his and got to see the whole "security guards and a casefull of cash" act close up. Good for the show since he actually drew people on his own, less good for the other dealers as most of "his" draw went to his table and left right after.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
strange thing about the letter above is it says "1993" the find was discovered before 1993...

some images...

here is an image I saved of that vintage wear Cobb (standing w/bat) that surfaced a while back, same stamp as Anthony's beautiful Oakes card

this is an ad Mr Mint put in the SCD about 20 years ago (June 12, 1992) to test the market demand on the "find" cards. From my understanding he never even owned the cards at this time (if ever), but did this just to see how many phone calls he would get (I called him super quick and was told they were all Sold), thus knowing if he should buy the cards outright, to resell.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Gentleman,

Thank you all for your insight!

Anthony, I see that you've Noticed the "Tango Eggs" cards with great interest.
Might you have some kind of Break down of the amount of each card? Your Best guess thru your experience would be appreciated!

Just thought I'd ask...

Oh Yeah, That "Rebel Oaks" of your's is a Screamer... Would go Mighty fine with my Weaver
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
pete ullman

Weaver=Tinker, right?