NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Default Please make me feel better

Posted By: Paul

Please tell me that this seller didn't actually end his auction early to sell this card to someone else for $431. (Why would anyone end an auction early to sell for the current high bid? It makes no sense.) Please tell me the seller actually sold this card for $10,000, and I wouldn't have won it anyhow. And please tell me that this is actually one of the more common Players League cards, and that its omission from the Standard Catalog was just a mistake and not an indication of rarity. In fact, please tell me this was a worthless forgery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5190789132&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

It was likely sold to the high bidder for considerably more than the existing bid in order to save eBay fees.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anonymoushunterdude

...so I would not doubt authenticity.
I'd also be surprised if this is an un-catalogued card.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ted

I don't know how others feel about this, but that is a direct violation of ebay rules and doesn't sit well with me.....just my 2 cents

Old 05-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Quite honestly I couldn't give a rat's ass about ebay rules as they suck so bad it's hilarious at cleaning up their own playpen. I don't like the ending of auctions early though....especially when I didn't get to shut it down .....just being honest....later

Old 05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

It is the seller's item. As far as I am concerned he or she can do what they want with it. Both parties run a risk, and if they are willing to take it, so be it.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

As a buyer...

I know which sellers will end an auction early for me and which ones won't...

and I can understand BOTH sides of the argument.

But, I do try to support the ones who DO end things early for me by buying an extra item or two from them that I might not normally have purchased. Or pay a little extra than what we agree upon as a price.

Just a nice gesture in return for theirs.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

It's also a crapshoot for both parties. I have made offers to end auctions early. I have had offers accepted as well as rejected. In one case, I know I got a card for several hundred dollars below what the prevailing market price was. In another, I overpaid slightly to acquire two card that I needed that showed up again for sale on eBay within 30 days and closed for about 2/3 of what I paid for them. I also remember an instance where the seller refused to end an auction early and I won the card in his auction for less than 60% of what I was prepared to offer and for much less than the card had been selling for in the past year.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

I really don't see the issue. If a seller gets an offer that is higher than he thinks the item will go for if the auction goes the distance, then what is wrong with ending the auction and selling at that price? Whose item is it anyway? Now it may be bad business in the long run because it may piss people off or discourage people from bidding in the seller's other auctions, but that is the seller's problem/choice. I don't think if someone posts an item on ebay they assume a duty to the world to let the auction run to the end, which is why, if I see an item I am really interested in, I will make a polite inquiry if the seller would consider ending early. Yeah I know the ebay rule, but I phrase the question in such a way that I don't violate the rule.

I don't think this happens all that often anyhow. Most sellers will politely decline, and I can think of very few times when I have received such an inquiry as a seller.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Texas Ted

I had some items recently that I really wanted, and since I always snipe bid, I took the precaution to email the seller to let them know of my intention of bidding. I told them I was just giving them a heads up in case they got emails asking them to sell early. The response I got back was that they had indeed gotten emails and were considering it. I don't do that often, but in this case it worked out best for both of us.

You don't have to give away your intended bid amount, but just remove the risk of an early close out for those really great items.

Texas Ted
Starting my third attempt at a second childhood.