NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Greg T.

Default The New McGreevy's Third Base

Prior to going to Saturday's game against the Orioles, my wife and I took in a great dinner at the recreation of Nuf Ced McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon. If you're a baseball historian visiting Boston, this place is definitely a great place to enjoy a meal.

While it looks like the majority of stuff on the walls are reproductions of the originals pieces (a lot which had to do with Peter Nash's collection) you really have to do a double take to tell they're not real.

In addition to the reproduction stuff, they also have some awesome original stuff in a glass case which includes an original ROG portrait of Nuf Ced which hung over his bar, a gorgeous 1903 scorecard, a Royal Rooter megaphone, a Nuf Ced pin, and a variety of early beer bottles and political pieces featuring the Fitzgeralds (JFK's maternal grandfather and original Royal Rooter).

Saw one guy eat a "Beckett Burger", an inhuman mass of cow that looks like ten burgers put together. What's cool about this burger is that the proceeds from it ($30) go to Josh Beckett's charity foundations.

All in all, a good night with one of my favorite Sox fans and a great win against the birds. Too bad they sucked pond water the day after

Welcome to the Third Base
The Front Entrance

The Bar
The Bar - Note the Moose in the Corner and the baseball bat light fixtures, just like in the original bar. You may notice a roster illustration of the NY Americans - appropriately hung upside down of course!

Sterling Ale sign
The Stairs Leading To the Johns Downstairs. What's so Special? That Rueter Ale Sign is the Sign (probably not the exact one) which hung outside the original 3rd Base. They got that from a Beer Friend of mine, Dan Morean

modern
A case of more modern tidbits, some of which are associated with the Bar's founders, Ken Casey and the Dropkick Murphy's

Glass cutter
A Case of Sweet Original Memorabilia. Note the Beer Bottles and original ROG portrait of Nuf Ced!

More Drool
A 1903 Scorecard, Original Interior Photo, and Megaphone

Familiar Photo
Anybody recognize photo #29? It's kind of cool to see an exact copy of your baby, including all her stains, on the wall

Even more drool
Sorry for that huge spot of drool on the glass case. Anybody got a cutter?

Some Bottles at McGreevy's
We sat right in front of this little display. Somebody get me a doctor!

That's about it. For some reason, I have the feeling I was the only one in there who had the slightest clue as to what this place is all about. Well done Ken Casey and Peter Nash!

Last edited by HiNeighbor; 07-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
qualitycards

Great photos, looks like an awesome place.
Here's their website http://www.mcgreevysboston.com/
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Was McGreevy's great gdaughter slinging beers that night?

A must stop regardless if it's a game day or dead of winter. Good grub and only 1200 steps to Gate B!

Thanks for the report Greg.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Jimmy

Edited... already noticed the upside down NY photograph

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by 19cbb; 07-27-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Scott

wow. Yankees fan for me, or not, (tho I was a Sox fan as a kid), that place is a MUST visit. The Red Sox tradition and area around the old ball park simply drips history everywhere. Fantastic pictures, thanks very much for posting them.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Michael S

Greg,

Thanks for posting this. Awesome stuff. Planning on a visit myself to a Sox game in late September so now I must pay a visit for a peek myself.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Mark

McGreevy collection photos can be seen on the Boston Public Library flickr site:

http://tinyurl.com/nxmgss

Interestingly, the ID's (attributed to McGreevy) were loaded with errors (perhaps he was loaded when he wrote them down ). Corrections for most have been posted.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 07-29-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Scott S

Great pics, Greg! I've been in a few times with friends, and they usually look and think some of the stuff is cool (in the way that a funny T-shirt is cool), then get back to their drinks. I usually spend most of my time checking out everything on the walls. Awesome place and a definite must-see for anyone in town!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Those pics are great! Definitely need to visit that place sometime. Looks awesome.