NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default O'Hara & Demmit St. L

Posted By: dan mckee

O'Hara is properly graded, gorgeous card and minor creasing. Demmit is trimmed. I saw the Beckett auctions and paused for a second wondering why they were selling their graded cards. That second passed and I bid. I agree with what most have said here but I still bid and will bid again. I guess because I look at the card and bid what I want to pay that it isn't a big deal to me. Or... I am an idiot. Please, no comments, I already know which it is. Dan.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

you know, i saw beckett had a few graded t206s on ebay, i had a few on my watchlist and they ended the auctions early. It is what it is, but is it fair for them as a grading company to grade cards and sell them? take what would grade a 4 for the normal "joe" baseball card collector, beckett could grade it a 5 and make a killing off selling it to "joe" who the resubmits it somewhere else and it comes back as the 4 it should have origionally graded as. can you really trust buying graded cards from a company that grades their own card?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know this post will go over like a turd in a wading pool but here goes anyway. Once again, the Beckett guys are friends and advertisers on the board.

I just inspected the Demmit and O'hara, in person and with a 10x loupe. I feel the O'Hara is overgraded by a 1/2 grade. I think it should be a "3.5". The 2nd crease in the lower left made that decision easy for me. That being said it doesn't have the normal tobacco staining we see on PB's so it looks really nice for what it is, and that is why I would give it a 1/2 grade bump to a 3.5, when it would be a lock 3 otherwise, imo.

The big question was on the Demmit. I am NOT a professional grader. That being said I have looked at quite a few T206's under a loupe as well as many other vintage cards. The front bottom looks suspect, at least when looking at the front. When I turned it over it wasn't as bad. They took the card OUT of the holder so they could re-inspect it and I looked at it raw with a 10x. The edges have the regular chipping....they have tobacco staining on the edges too. I also saw some little "hairs" that come off of a vintage cut. The edges are "rolled" consistently as other vintage edges are. The edges on the back of the card really showed the cut better than the front, in person. Each corner has the SAME wear under the loupe. I think the scans make them look different but in person and under a loupe you can see the wear....again, especially on the back.

Now take all of that into consideration and the fact that these are absolutely new to the hobby and from completely outside of the hobby...and all were Polar Bears and I think the decision that it is not altered is correct. After a re-inspection, outside of the holder, they feel the same way.....regards

Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

As with any of our consignment auction items, you are welcome to see them in person at our office in Dallas.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...to show a scanned raw version of the Demmitt, at least you could have made it straight!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: stratton

Photobucket

Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...I have only once ever seen a T206 card that got narrower at both sides of a corner -- as this Demmitt does in the bottom right. SGC rejected it as trimmed.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Fandango

that top right corner looks sharp enough to poke the eye out of a cyclops...