NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Dave

Default Question regarding DiMaggio cards..

Hello all... this is my first post to this board and I just want to start by thanking all of the people who have contributed to all of the knowledge and insight shared here. It has really helped me a lot.. Anyway a couple of questions for you guys...

1. I just recently purchased a 1936 Goudey premium Wide pen Joe DiMaggio and Joe McCarthy card graded a 80/6 by SGC. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail as we speak. Anyway I have seen that there are 2 cards of DiMaggio from this set listed by SGC and PSA in their population report. After a lot of research, it appears that the portrait version (creamy) of Joe DiMaggio is in fact from 1937, not 1936. Just wondering if I am missing something here. Does anybody have any insight into this?

2. This is more of a poll question-If, for the sake of this question, You would consider a RC to be card of a player from his rookie year, would the 1936 Goudey be considered a True RC? I noticed that McCarthy/DiMaggio seems to go less at auction then the supposed 1936 (believed to be 1937) portrait. Is this maybe because people think there is really 2 DiMaggios in the set, and one with just DiMaggio would be more coveted than one with Him and McCarthy?

3. If you had you 1000 bucks to spend on one of these cards, which one would you personally take for you collection?

-Psa 5 1939 Play Ball DiMaggio
-Psa 5 1940 Play Ball DiMaggio
-Psa 4 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio
-SGC 70 of the 3 above

I am asking this cause I had a chance at those others but went with the Goudey because 1. I believe it to be one of his RC's, not as "mainstream" as the play balls.. and 2. It is the highest graded version of the Card by either PSA or SGC, and there are no PSA 6's..it looks really clean...

Well any insight you guys would have would be appreciated.. thank you and God bless you all.

Last edited by davetruth; 05-28-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Welcome Dave, and I can help you with at least one of your questions. Which card is considered a player's true rookie is one of the subjects that is most hotly debated on this board. Often we don't have consensus, so in a sense it's up to you decide which one you want in your collection. Some like a player's first mainstream card, others want only his very first appearance, regardless of where it appears. Phil G., who posts regularly here, wrote a very important book on rookie cards. He can help better than I can.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-25-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Peter F

Hey welcome Dave.

Id first say the answer is buy what you like. If you like the look of his 40PB, no real reason to pass on it and buy a 39 just because people may tell you to.

Or vice versa.

Now if resale is a concern, the more popular issues typically are easier to sell.

I'm a collector and personally speaking when I buy a card because I like it, I never regret it. I liked it. What can be bad?

So follow your gut.

And to answer your specific question, I'd take the SGC 70 of whichever PB had the best clarity and centering. Sgc cuz I like their flips.

Good luck. Welcome!

Peter
Old 05-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Dave

Yeah I understand the RC card thing is hotly debated..in my mind it's pretty simple Rookie Year card, should be A rookie card haha..maybe I will start another thread on that one..

Last edited by davetruth; 05-26-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't like the 41 despite its iconic status. Tiny little pic of Joe's face that is almost always out of register. I don't like the Goudeys either for different reasons I do, however, really like the 39 PB although generally I don't care for the set. Great picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimaggio39.jpg (74.9 KB, 315 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Matt

It's all very subjective. I find the 39 PB aesthetically displeasing; it is not, to my eyes, an attractive photo of The Yankee Clipper, what with the eyebrows and the teeth.

For my representative Joe D card I chose the Zeenut PCL, which is his first-ever card appearance; I much prefer the batting pose, because of his exploits on that side of the game. I also like the piece's rarity (I believe PSA has only graded 8 with or without the coupon, for example).

For a burst of color, I like the 41PB. It's also the card associated with the 56 Game streak-- and that's a critical piece of both baseball and card history right there. It should be noted that none of the early Joe D cards-- the Zeenut, V300, V355, etc.-- have the color the 41 PB does. I would go with the 41PB from your options list. I also think the 41PB is the most popular and "get-able," since the Zeenut, V300, and V355 WWG are so scarce and also expensive. But again this is subjective and debatable. There's a nice write-up on the 41PB in this link: Joe D 41PB in PSA's Top 20 Sportscard List

I am also a huge fan of the V300 and the V355, the latter of which some consider his rookie in terms of first Yankee card appearance. I think the V355 has serious charm. Kind of a thuggish mugshot photo and the cool nickname "deadpan Joe" on the back.

Ultimately, as someone said so well above-- go with your taste and you won't go wrong.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-26-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 AM
Jesse

As for what to buy, just go with what you like. If your looking to sell it down the line I'd say 39 PB be more desired by other collectors.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Snake Plisskin
Ro.ger M. Boe.hm

Default The 38 Goudey heads up commands the most respect..

The Heads UP carries a big book as well as the Goudey World Wide Gum rookie..

I'd choose the 40 Playball because I have a Jackson and would like other top HOfers from that set..

The 41 Playball color carries a bigger book..

I'm going to buy the 48 Leaf also, I just like it..
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Jeff

Of the three choices I would choose the '39 Playball.
I would rather have the 1936 WWG or 1937 OPC than any of them though.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Ronald Goldberg

1936 R312

Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Dave

That R312 is pretty sweet..I have read that the card is very thin, printed on paper that is more like newspaper than cardboard...so that has to be preety tough to find in a high grade, especially that high!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Yep, paper thin. Very available in mid grade at reasonable prices. Did you notice DiMaggio misspelled?