NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What should SGC do concerning the New Flip Design
Keep it 23 12.85%
Put a green border around it like the old one 84 46.93%
Just keep the old flip and leave well enough alone 49 27.37%
Poll your supporters and customers then chose the right one 27 15.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Robert

Default Poll: SGC new slab

What should SGC do when concerning the New FLIP design
  • a. Keep it and drive on
  • b. Put a green border around it to match the old one
  • c. just don't change the old flip it was fine as it was
  • d. take a random sample from those that support your service

This is my first poll so if it don't work will try again
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Robert

well not sure if this poll is working.........dang it
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 PM
Bill Gregory

It's working.

A. without a border

B. with a border

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Robert

Good deal......glad it works. I gotta agree....the green border sets it apart. It is recognizable as SGC in which I believe is still the best choice for grading service out there. Again just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Sebastian

I would vote B, changes are inevitable,but the border would help. IMO

Last edited by sebie43; 05-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I voted b) and actually really like the new flip with the addition of the green border. I really hope SGC will consider this input from us, the consumer, because I'd love to continue doing business with them. I'd also like to add, that adjusting to the customers wishes by making a seemingly simply change in design would only solidify their already stellar reputation for customer service and might even garner them additional business. There's a legit opportunity here to get this thing right.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

That card is REALLY overgraded

B
Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Robert

Agree with ya DAN 100%

Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
That card is REALLY overgraded

B
Yes it is.........at best a SGC 50
Old 05-22-2014, 07:06 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

To me this new design is like when Gap redesigned their logo two years ago. It lasted maybe a week until the internet blew up and they were forced to keep the old one...not that the old one is great, but better than the monstrosity they did.

The big difference however, is that unlike a corporate logo, SGC's logo or flap is shown to a "wide" audience aka people that visit you in your home. I don't know about everyone else but I like to show my collection not hide it in a closet or drawers. And I like to protect my collection with a slab and SGC in my opinion makes the best, aesthetically speaking, cases/flips in the industry (not to mention their expertise and customer service). But to completely change the look, I just don't get it. Like people have stated the excuse that they need an extra line, doesn't make sense, because others have posted they have used an extra line of text in the past.

This would be like if PSA changed their classic red font and border to aquamarine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg article-1318581-0B851FF1000005DC-390_224x199.jpg (8.9 KB, 448 views)

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 05-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Vin¢£nt J@m£s Mo®£tti

I voted "E" which is that SGC should have a $5 special next month.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Ben North

I like the new look better without the ugly green border. I don't believe in paying someone for their opinion but if I ever decide to it would be SGC.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Poor Jerry Koosman. New labels (with the watermarks) have already grown on me. Think they look fine.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Christian Guidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
It's working.

A. without a border

B. with a border
I think the grade on this one is more concerning then the border
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

There is no reason to have the green border and as they explained in the previous post due to their set up having a green border now doesn't allow as much info to be on the slip. I believe more info is more important than more color.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

For what it is worth I asked my wife, a non collector, and as soon as she saw the new one she said she liked it a lot better. That is saying a lot because I posted a thread on here Dec of 2011, when I was a new member, about her thoughts on SGC vs the other grading companies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I have not had an SGC graded card in my collection since I have been married (3years). I have GAI, CTA, BGS, BVG and PSA. I recently had some Old Judge cards graded by SGC. They arrived today I opened them up and had them sitting on the dining room table when my daughter took my attention away.

My wife walked in and I heard her say "I like these cases better than those other ones" I turned to see that she was looking at the SGC cards. I asked why she said that. Her response was that she thought they looked nicer due to the insert. I showed her that the GAI had an insert but she just shrugged it off. I brought her a PSA graded t206 (I don't have a PSA Old Judge and thought the t206 was similar enough in size for comparison) she took it from me and looked at it and then picked up the SGC and looked at it and said definitively "This one is just better".

So there you have it. A non biased decision made about a grading company not based on grading scale or which case can be tampered with easier or even which company has the better resell power, but rather the appearance the case adds to the card.
I do definitely understand people wanting uniformity, but that just doesn't play into my collecting standards and she really doesn't care at all. That is why I find her opinion interesting.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguidi View Post
I think the grade on this one is more concerning then the border

I could not agree more. So, is the only change that SGC is making involving the slip that gives info about the card? Did the holder change? I'm not sure why anybody cares as long as the info is correct on the paper and the grade is accurate. The grade on this Ryan card is way off, and concerns me more than if a slip of paper has a border around it or not. The grade is spot on for BCCG, but SGC? An interesting poll would be: If you owned this Ryan card, would you resubmit to SGC for the correct grade?, or Keep the card as is?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Keep the old or place a green border on label. Slight variation on Bill's proposal (pull SGC back into border in white).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New SGC Label Proposal.jpg (76.1 KB, 246 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default honestly

I'm for B or C but in looking at the label in the light of day (better scan of it) - it's not that bad and I suppose I could live with it without too much of a problem. I'd still prefer my set to be "matched" as far as the housing and framing elements. They are in a case by my desk as I like to look at my cards now and then - the uniformity of the display as well as the black background of the SGC holders allows the focal point to be the cards.
That being said, with SGC as my grader of choice for the few sets I have graded - bringing out a new holder without some process in place for for measuring consumer reaction (maybe they did but they never asked me or mom!) - when coupled with the somewhat cringe-worthy vg/x-ish looking 92 posted earlier (and it was posted over and over again in 4/5 replies) - makes me a bit embarrassed. Anyone who knows me at all - will tell you that's saying something. A bit off the point of the thread but how the hell does that get a nm/mt+ grade with those corners? There are plenty of mistakes out there from all the major TPG's. For the record I have a file with a few scans of SGC and PSA blunders. The SGC ones made their way into the file mostly by happenstance - the PSA ones I've grabbed from various sources solely to post when Jerry S. posts his SGC mistakes :-)
Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Maybe someone w/ graphic art skills should add a fourth line with same font size and see if it fits.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
I'm for B or C but in looking at the label in the light of day (better scan of it) - it's not that bad and I suppose I could live with it without too much of a problem. I'd still prefer my set to be "matched" as far as the housing and framing elements. They are in a case by my desk as I like to look at my cards now and then - the uniformity of the display as well as the black background of the SGC holders allows the focal point to be the cards.
That being said, with SGC as my grader of choice for the few sets I have graded - bringing out a new holder without some process in place for for measuring consumer reaction (maybe they did but they never asked me or mom!) - when coupled with the somewhat cringe-worthy vg/x-ish looking 92 posted earlier (and it was posted over and over again in 4/5 replies) - makes me a bit embarrassed. Anyone who knows me at all - will tell you that's saying something. A bit off the point of the thread but how the hell does that get a nm/mt+ grade with those corners? There are plenty of mistakes out there from all the major TPG's. For the record I have a file with a few scans of SGC and PSA blunders. The SGC ones made their way into the file mostly by happenstance - the PSA ones I've grabbed from various sources solely to post when Jerry S. posts his SGC mistakes :-)
I'm kind of wondering if the card is a 3.5, and in entering information the 3 was mistaken for an 8. Human error.....If it were my car, I resubmit and get a correct grade on the card. Nothing good comes from having that 8.5 grade with the present card in the holder.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Jeff

Need a 5th option, doesn't matter.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Paul

I vote A. Keep it & drive onward.