NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Mike

Default O.T New York City Postal Worker Busted for Stealing Cards

http://nypost.com/2014/05/22/man-bus...aseball-cards/
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Am I reading this correctly? The supervisor purchased cards from someone who works below him, who had PREVIOUSLY been arrested for stealing mail? How in the hell do these people keep their jobs?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Punished!

The underling was punished under the policy of the USPS and Federal guide lines. He was allowed to keep his job but would receive only 85% of his yearly bonus. He will not be allowed to steal high dollar baseball cards, only commons. His union has vowed to fight the action taken. It should be resolved June, 2021
Sam Majors
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Rich

A little more info: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...aseball-cards/
Old 05-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam majors View Post
The underling was punished under the policy of the USPS and Federal guide lines. He was allowed to keep his job but would receive only 85% of his yearly bonus. He will not be allowed to steal high dollar baseball cards, only commons. His union has vowed to fight the action taken. It should be resolved June, 2021
Sam Majors
That sounds about right.

Although; even though he needs to forfeit 15% of his yearly bonus, he will be granted 3 months paid leave while the trial commences, and still accrue his bonus during that period.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Post missed a great headline possibility: "Postal Service Bu Bu"
Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Todd Schultz

I thought something similar when I first saw that Jay: Bu who?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Alex

Stories like this make me shake my head. I often forget the immense trust that we put into people when we mail a package. All it takes is one bad apple to make something disappear.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam majors View Post
Sam Majors
I see. Thanks for clearing this up for me Sam. Since I am a tax payer, I hope my tax dollars will go to an attorney for Bu so he can have his name cleared and given a promotion at the USPS, and this " misunderstanding " will be forever erased from the records. It will be as though it never happened.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 05-23-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Stealing

Hi Lou,
FYI, the Postal Service has not received any tax dollars since the early 1970's. All of our revenue is generated from our products and services.

Anyway, I hope this loser gets fired, loses his pension, and ends up in prison. Things like this make me sick and we should have zero tolerance.

This guy is a supervisor, so he does not have a union to back him. He does have a professional organization called NAPS, (National Association of Postal Supervisors), who will be forced to provide him with representation to help him save his job, but I think he will lose and will be fired. His rep is not a lawyer, but someone who is trained to help managers who are in trouble. His defense will be paid for by NAPS, not by the Postal Service or by taxes.

I do believe there will also be criminal charges, and he will need to retain his own lawyer for those charges.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Lou,
FYI, the Postal Service has not received any tax dollars since the early 1970's. All of our revenue is generated from our products and services.

Anyway, I hope this loser gets fired, loses his pension, and ends up in prison. Things like this make me sick and we should have zero tolerance.

This guy is a supervisor, so he does not have a union to back him. He does have a professional organization called NAPS, (National Association of Postal Supervisors), who will be forced to provide him with representation to help him save his job, but I think he will lose and will be fired. His rep is not a lawyer, but someone who is trained to help managers who are in trouble. His defense will be paid for by NAPS, not by the Postal Service or by taxes.

I do believe there will also be criminal charges, and he will need to retain his own lawyer for those charges.

Rick
Rick,

I have bought from you before on ebay, and loved the items. You are a 100% trustworthy seller.

Lou
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 PM

Default Sorry about the confusion!

Rick,
My post was a tongue in cheek comment concerning why the employee who had been arrested earlier for stealing mail still had his job. It was in response to a question posed by Lou. No where in the article did it say the underling still had his job. Hopefully he was fired. The USPS does an amazing job day in and day out. In no way was I trying to demean Postal workers at all. Sam Majors
Old 05-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

As were my comments. I am on the record as never having any problems or difficulties with the USPS.

Lou
Old 05-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Ken McMillan

Wow......
What can you say but wow
Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
As were my comments. I am on the record as never having any problems or difficulties with the USPS.

Lou
Until now...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Until now...
LOL, I know........
Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Lou

Hi Lou, I appreciate your comments. I knew that most of the responses were tongue-in-cheek with a little bit of the truth thrown in, but it really bothers me when Postal employees steal and it bothers me a lot when they steal baseball cards.

Take care,

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Robert Williams

I had a card stolen from a postal worker in NC. I alerted the post office of the matter, and they acted like they could have cared less.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Richard D

Default stolen mail

The PO does a great job, almost all the time. I have learned from bad experience that it only takes one time to realize that dropping a package in the mail without insurance is a gamble and you WILL inevitably lose that gamble sooner or later.
I sent what I thought was an innocent looking package that arrived in good shape, except for the fact that it had been neatly sliced open and relieved of its contents. The PO at the receiving end was kind enough to send photos of the slit envelope.
The theft was reported and naturally that was the last I ever heard of it.
Now I pay the insurance on anything over a minimal value.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:43 AM
Paul S

I'm curious what the theft rate really is among postal workers. Just from my own experience, I'd have to believe it is extraordinarily low. A lot lower than you would expect considering the variety and value of items that get sent through the mail. I think I've had one, maybe two, packages go permanently missing in all of my years of sending and ordering items through the US mail. Sometimes they took their own sweet time about getting it there, but that's a different story ...
Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Robert Williams

It is low, but everybody remembers the ones that got "missing", not the slew of packages that made it to their destination. In my instance, like the victim in the story, I used one of those collection drop boxes. NEVER AGAIN! Always get the packages scanned by a clerk that you hand the packages to. It is easier to trace who last handled the package in case they need to fire someone. Once you put it in the collection box, then anything goes.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Barry Sloate

On occasion, first class insured packages go missing. But registered mail packages virtually never do. They have to be signed for every step of the way, so if they disappear the last person who signed is held responsible. At least that is how I understand it.

I shipped more than a thousand registered mail packages over a 25+ year period, and never lost a single one.