NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Help Dating an Elmer Foster Jersey

This cabinet came from a lot in the latest REA auction. Flour City was a nickname for Minneapolis so I assume this was some sort of Minneapolis jersey. A clue can be gained from the photographer. Although part of the name is obscured, I assume the photographer is W H Jacoby, a rather famous early Minnesota photographer. He operated a studio until 1890 which should be the latest date for the cabinet if my assumption is correct. I've talked to some early Minnesota baseball historians who have never seen an image of this jersey. My hope is that someone on the board will have some idea of when it is from. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.3 KB, 234 views)
Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Todd Schultz

Really nice cabinet Jay. I'm afraid I can't help much, but did some googling and found a site that says W.H. Jacoby let his son Charles take over the business in 1888. Also saw some cabinets or cdv's that showed Jacoby & Son as the photographer--if yours just says Jacoby perhaps the name change came after the father ceded the business. I also a few sources stating that the studio was done as of 1890, so that could narrow yours down to the last couple years. I'm sure you saw where Foster played for Minneapolis in 1887,'89, '90 and '95, so you've got a pretty narrow window either way--still, I know how you like to be precise
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:28 PM

Rochester NY used the team name Flour City for quite some time, so I wouldn't narrow my search down to just Minneapolis.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-24-2014, 07:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

John--I saw that, but Elmer never played for Rochester
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Hey there Jay,

I'm curious... What does it say in the Bottom Right Hand Corner?
Looks to me like it might have some sort of "Indian" Named Town!?
There are many towns in the NY area that have Indian related names...

I thought I saw a "QU" in it contents...
Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Interestingly, the Minneapolis team cabinet that came with this lot was the 1887 Minneapolis team from the Northwest League. The team was part owned by Elmer's brother, Robert, and Elmer recruited the players for the team (all detailed in the accompanying scrapbook). I wonder if they originally thought of using the Flour City jerseys, but later decided to use the Minneapolis jerseys shown in the team cabinet.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Denny--it says Minneapolis
Old 05-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Default 1890

Here you are, Jay. Foster in the lower right corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1890 Minneapolis Cabinet.jpg (75.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 11:28 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
Here you are, Jay. Foster in the lower right corner.
WOW! Stunning cabinet!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Dave--Is that you? What a fantastic cabinet-thanks so much for posting it. That solves my problem! If you ever need info from the scrapbook, including Elmer's own account of his baseball history, just let me know.

Best--Jay
Old 05-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Glad I could help, Jay.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
John--I saw that, but Elmer never played for Rochester
I noticed that, but he was also missed any stats for 1892-1894 and I'm sure they still at least had a local club at the time, possibly semi-pro or Independent.

I see you got the answer from that great cabinet posted. Very cool
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 PM
K!ya S@bet

"Help Dating an Elmer Foster Jersey"

I say you take it to dinner, but no movie. Those Elmer Foster Jersey's can get frisky in the theater.