NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Default Advice/Opinion Wanted

My Son and I collect 1919 World Series stuff, after he watched "Eight Men Out".

My Question is, should I send this to SGC to be graded?

Here is the back story on it.

We bought this Ray Schalk around a year ago.
Since I have always advised him to not buy any Pre War stuff, ungraded, we bought this one. I know GMA is not a mainstay in the card grader world, and this is the only GMA card we own.
I am a bit "OCD" about our collection, and with it setting by all the other PSA/SGC cards, it stands out like a sore thumb to me.

I am NOT ever going to sell it. So the aesthetics as it pertains to the rest of my collection is really the only issue.

Would it be "worth" more in a SGC holder? In other words would it be worth it to have it graded by SGC?

Sorry bout the scan. My scanner stinks.

photo 001_zps19316a01.jpg
Old 05-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Luke Lyon

If it being in that holder bugs you enough to make a thread about it, yeah send it to SGC. Why not? I'm OCD like that too so I can relate. Nice card by the way. Are you still working on e120, or just branching out into all 1920s e cards? I love the look of those e121s.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

No, I am still doing the E120's.

We just got this one as it was within our price range and wanted it for our 1919 World Series Collection.

I have never sent in a card to be graded, so i though this one might be a good one to start with. again, thou, when comparing the price of the grade w/ shipping, to how much more it will add to value & esthetics, I just dont know if its worth it.

AFA the E120 collection, it has taken a back seat to the 71 topps baseball set Zack and I are doing, for now. Then we are planning on doing a 51 topps baseball set, Red and Blue Backs.
But if one comes up, and its a great deal, I will jump on it. That Groh you wrote me about went up QUICK!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Luke Lyon

It probably isn't worth it from a strictly economic standpoint, especially if ypu aren't selling any time soon. But it could still make sense for aesthetic reasons. I'd imagine that card would sell for a similar price as an SGC 30. There's no danger of people thinking it's trimmed as is sometimes the case with those unknown grading companies.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a really nice card being shown. As stated, getting it re-slabbed might not raise the value BUT the new SGC flips are going to be great looking so there is that. I am actually considering getting my cards re-holdered with those new flips. If they come out looking like the Joe G one then there is reason to do it from a pure aesthetics standpoint. And of course if you are building a set it makes sense to have the holders be similar....
Old 05-28-2014, 10:33 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

K-Nole, PM sent regarding your '71 Topps project.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
FredYoung

Nice looking card that doesn't appear to be trimmed, but I would certainly submit it RAW for best possible results! Might even get a bump if submitted raw, who knows!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Jimmy

Default Advice/Opinion Wanted

popular card - get it done by SGC and it should stand out more

good luck!

Jimmy