NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Default T

I

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 02-18-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Art thou certain? The auction listing sayeth Little Rock, Arkansas.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Ben North

According to a few people I know Daniel(Candiman) is/was Battlefield and War Eagle also. It was never his mother, father, or sister like has been reported on here.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
According to a few people I know Daniel(Candiman) is/was Battlefield and War Eagle also. It was never his mother, father, or sister like has been reported on here.
Interesting. You should post this on the Candiman thread if you have not already.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Location listed on a eBay account really means nothing. I know people with several accounts that are listed from all over the US. I would think the PP information is what really counts.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Location listed on a eBay account really means nothing. I know people with several accounts that are listed from all over the US. I would think the PP information is what really counts.
Indeed. I was just humorously calling attention to the misrepresentation. Rhetorical question.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-29-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
My bad..."Second incarnation of Candiman auctions"
Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 PM

...oh no.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Tony

Interesting; just noticed they do not accept paypal. I wonder why?
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Uses the same Auctiva software that both Battlefield and War_Eagle_Vintage used also
Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Just to clarify.... Those listings don't list PayPal as a payment option. How did they pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
I won a card on eBay and when I checked PP the business was Candiman Inc, Dothan, AL w/ eBay ID: sipeemend1

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sipeemend1/...p2047675.l2562

CANDIMAN INC,DOTHAN,AL,
Authorization
Loading transaction details for
CANDIMAN INC,DOTHAN,AL,
Authorization

Paid with
PayPal balance

Seller info
CANDIMAN INC,DOTHAN,AL,
Old 03-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Robert Williams

I'm the worst at detecting trims. But if this card is NOT miscut/trimmed, I would be shocked...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reggie-Jack...oAAOSwIrpatwJS
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
Just to clarify.... Those listings don't list PayPal as a payment option. How did they pay?
It still shows pending with this note:

This is a temporary authorization to make sure your payment method will
cover the payment. Your payment method will be charged when
CANDIMAN INC,DOTHAN,AL, completes your order.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Just when I thought the Battlefield saga was dying out...and yeah, the Reggie is below min size at best.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm the worst at detecting trims. But if this card is NOT miscut/trimmed, I would be shocked...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reggie-Jack...oAAOSwIrpatwJS
Yeah, especially the lower right corner. It angles inward, making the card no longer a rectangle. Somebody did some slicing.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

I bid on this card the other night but felt uncomfortable.

Free shipping on some, or promotional, as they say, and free returns on others?

The price is low for this card, imo, but I am glad I didn't win it now, especially now. Others may have felt the same way as I did?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milton-Stoc...vip=true&rt=nc

Last edited by irv; 03-29-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:37 AM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
good point. here is clip from their auction.

Quote:
Payment
I can accept all major credit & debit cards through secure eBay checkout. I do not accept PayPal.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:29 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
This I believe....look at the lady's facebook page and tell me if you get a seedy baseball card dealer vibe. Pretty sure this kid threw his folks under the bus for whatever reason.

And what do they have against back scans? Is there a baseball card collector in the world who doesn't care what the back of the card looks like?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:50 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

For those of you who were fortunate enough to participate in the “inaugural” Candiman Auction, it appears that you may have participated in the “only” Candiman Auction.

The upcoming auction schedule has been deleted from the website as well as just about everything else.

Anyone who is surprised by turn of events should consider investing in a different hobby in my opinion.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
For those of you who were fortunate enough to participate in the “inaugural” Candiman Auction, it appears that you may have participated in the “only” Candiman Auction.

The upcoming auction schedule has been deleted from the website as well as just about everything else.

Anyone who is surprised by turn of events should consider investing in a different hobby in my opinion.
From the vicious rumor I heard he could not pay for his new purchases to have the auction. His check is still bouncing like a rubber ball.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:36 AM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
Interesting; just noticed they do not accept paypal. I wonder why?
Because PayPal will refund your money right away, no matter what the seller says and eBay will make you wait forever to get anything back. eBay protects their sellers, no matter how crooked they are and paypal protects the buyer.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Surely the brothers will be back to reassure us that all is well.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-30-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:02 AM
Tony

Quote:
or to tell us now there grandfather was cleaning out his house and they found a massive high end vintage collection, and they despise PSA and other TPG and they prefer to cater to the raw collector and leave money on the table.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:33 AM

I still think Battlefield has had many other accounts. I've watched a few between 1-2 years depending on which account. Because I couldn't prove it was him or that the guy was doing nefarious altering/pic changes/etc, I haven't mentioned it myself in detail. He likely is doing the same shtick of buying authentic cards and popping them out of holders though based on my experiences even if he isn't battlefield persay. I am sure a few sleuths could prove it beyond a doubt that this is the same guy or one of his other "relatives" lol. Meet his other auction house and his "Uncle"... https://www.ebay.com/sch/great_lakes...p2047675.l2562 Uncle Bill - https://www.ebay.com/sch/Baseball-Ca...ills_treasures

I bought 4 cards about 2 years ago from Great Lakes Auction House and 3 of 4 came back altered. To be fair, one graded pretty decently, but I tend to think it got past the graders' "trimmed" radar and now I will forever have to hold onto it because of that.

Last edited by murphy8276; 03-30-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
I still think Battlefield has had many other accounts. I've watched a few between 1-2 years depending on which account. Because I couldn't prove it was him or that the guy was doing nefarious altering/pic changes/etc, I haven't mentioned it myself in detail. He likely is doing the same shtick of buying authentic cards and popping them out of holders though based on my experiences even if he isn't battlefield persay. I am sure a few sleuths could prove it beyond a doubt that this is the same guy or one of his other "relatives" lol. Meet his other auction house and his "Uncle"... https://www.ebay.com/sch/great_lakes...p2047675.l2562 Uncle Bill - https://www.ebay.com/sch/Baseball-Ca...ills_treasures

I bought 4 cards about 2 years ago from Great Lakes Auction House and 3 of 4 came back altered. To be fair, one graded pretty decently, but I tend to think it got past the graders' "trimmed" radar and now I will forever have to hold onto it because of that.
I would like to hear what others have to say about this. I have purchased quite a few cards from Great Lakes and have not had any issues. I do think he buys slabbed cards, cracks them and sells raw. I have read that in another thread on this board.

He does state that the cards are unaltered and authentic. Not sure when you had purchased from him in the past. Maybe he did sell altered cards in the past.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
I would like to hear what others have to say about this. I have purchased quite a few cards from Great Lakes and have not had any issues. I do think he buys slabbed cards, cracks them and sells raw. I have read that in another thread on this board.

He does state that the cards are unaltered and authentic. Not sure when you had purchased from him in the past. Maybe he did sell altered cards in the past.
It was about two years ago. One was altered stock and two were altered trimmed. PSA has been wrong before, but considering the alteration possibility and the way the cards are sold, I would lean to PSA's opinion. Without proof not much can be done but I tend to think his authentic unaltered claim works as stated to ensure a buyer doesn't consider the potential alterations while bidding. Unless they are in a rush to grade them its possible they miss a chance of return altogether--as is my case. With PSA's crazy delays now, it is even more likely battlefield, candiman auctions or others won't be forced to pay up within a deadline unless using paypal return and not ebay if you can.

Last edited by murphy8276; 03-30-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:40 AM

Don’t buy ungraded/unslabbed cards online. Or if you do, don’t complain when they come back altered. Seems pretty simple to me - if you play with fire, don’t complain when you get burned
Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Al Richter

I do, and I won't. On the other hand neither will I get them graded.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
From the vicious rumor I heard he could not pay for his new purchases to have the auction. His check is still bouncing like a rubber ball.
Wow Ben! You guys and your conspiracy theories is literally laughable. I'm not sure who you heard this "vicious" rumor from but I'm pretty sure we've never met before and you know nothing about us, our personal lives, or our finances. This comment is a joke.

Our April 2018 auction will be open for preview on April 7th. Check out the website next Saturday. Lots of great items.

Daniel
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

Frank,

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about:

candimanauctions.com

Click on the above link and you will clearly see the upcoming auction schedule and other than the featured items not being posted yet for the upcoming auction, EVERYTHING is on the website as before. The auction preview for our April auction (which will run from April 14-28) will be posted on April 7.

Daniel
Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Peter,

We haven't gone anywhere. Our April 2018 auction will be open for preview April 7th (next Saturday) and the auction will run from April 14 -28.

We don't have time to get on here all day and debate with you guys about things that have already been discussed at length. We have been extremely busy getting orders from the March auction shipped and working on getting the April auction done. We've told our story and that's all we can do. If you want to read it again I suggest going back to the original thread we posted.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252144

Daniel
Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I have to wonder if anyone who won a raw card in the inaugural Candiman auction, submitted it to a TPG and now has it back, cares to confess. What happened?
Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have to wonder if anyone who won a raw card in the inaugural Candiman auction, submitted it to a TPG and now has it back, cares to confess. What happened?
No way someone got their cards back that fast. Unless they sent to SGC.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post

Pretty sure Great Lakes is not Battlefield.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions View Post
Peter,

We haven't gone anywhere. Our April 2018 auction will be open for preview April 7th (next Saturday) and the auction will run from April 14 -28.

We don't have time to get on here all day and debate with you guys about things that have already been discussed at length. We have been extremely busy getting orders from the March auction shipped and working on getting the April auction done. We've told our story and that's all we can do. If you want to read it again I suggest going back to the original thread we posted.

Daniel
Daniel; if you care to respond

One thing that bothers me is you don't use TPG; why not? For example the 1954 Aaron you have pictured or the 52 Robinson from March Auction. Aren't you doing your cosigners a dis-service, by not maximizing the potential sale price; and aren't your allowing your buyers to have doubt with regards to the authenticity of such cards. Perhaps, I am naive, but I don't understand why any auction house would not grade cards that clearly "exhibit" the look and the value that they should be, especially considering it would be in the consignor's best interest to do so.

If timing, is the answer as many have pointed out SGC & or BGS can meet your demands. So can PSA you may just need to pay up for speedier service, and wouldn't the consignor bear that cost anyway?

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 03-30-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
No way someone got their cards back that fast. Unless they sent to SGC.
They wouldn't even be logged in yet.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter,

Daniel
So a simple question that you neatly avoided, is this ebay account in Little Rock that doesn't take paypal yours or not?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-30-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Wow Ben! You guys and your conspiracy theories is literally laughable. I'm not sure who you heard this "vicious" rumor from but I'm pretty sure we've never met before and you know nothing about us, our personal lives, or our finances. This comment is a joke.

Our April 2018 auction will be open for preview on April 7th. Check out the website next Saturday. Lots of great items.

Daniel
So are you saying that the cards being sold by eBay IDs battlefield and War Eagle are not the same exact cards that got sent to YOUR address? Was your Mom using YOUR address?

Also are you saying YOU did not recently win several thousand $ worth of cards and not pay for them?

I heard the other side so now lets hear yours.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Pretty sure Great Lakes is not Battlefield.
I agree with Peter. Great Lakes owned by someone with a different name.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Simple question

Were there more battlefields in the Civil War or on eBay selling cardboard?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Great Lakes is not affiliated in anyway with the Battles clan however both have the same basic business model. Great Lakes is the DePatie brothers and they have 4 or 5 buying IDs on ebay.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Dan Bretta

LOL. Jumps in to say he’s not broke and has an auction coming up in April. Completely ignores the elephant in the room.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
LOL. Jumps in to say he’s not broke and has an auction coming up in April. Completely ignores the elephant in the room.
It's an art form, appearing responsive when you aren't.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Great Lakes is not affiliated in anyway with the Battles clan however both have the same basic business model. Great Lakes is the DePatie brothers and they have 4 or 5 buying IDs on ebay.

Interesting note on their buying ID’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
You guys need to send Daniel an invoice for his March and April "banner ad".
Old 03-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
So are you saying that the cards being sold by eBay IDs battlefield and War Eagle are not the same exact cards that got sent to YOUR address? Was your Mom using YOUR address?

Also are you saying YOU did not recently win several thousand $ worth of cards and not pay for them?

We may be getting info from the same source, but I was just told the same thing directly from someone who didn't get paid. Paid with an e-check that bounced. Wonder if the previous issues keep them from using PayPal at all?? And the buying Ebay ID was different than any I've seen on here. Yet the buyer was Battles from Dothan, AL.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:

Daniel
So you are saying you or someone in your clan didn't bounce at least one e-check on at least one large ebay purchase? If you say no, then I know you are f*cking lying!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I am sure Ben is reporting what he was told accurately. It would be nice if one person who sold cards to Daniel that in turn were sold by Battlefield would rise above their self-interest and come forward.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-30-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
You guys need to send Daniel an invoice for his March and April "banner ad".
Does it even matter? Some of the people here would bid if Charles Manson was selling a card they “need”. Nobody in this business is punished until the FBI shows up.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Frank,

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about:

candimanauctions.com

Click on the above link and you will clearly see the upcoming auction schedule and other than the featured items not being posted yet for the upcoming auction, EVERYTHING is on the website as before. The auction preview for our April auction (which will run from April 14-28) will be posted on April 7.

Daniel

After the post above the web site shows a second auction which was to begin on March 24 and to close on April 7. No preview, no catalog, no rules, nada, nada, nada. I guess the second auction was cancelled and we have moved on to the third auction, but the dates you just stated for your April auction are not on the web site. If the second auction is currently in progress, I apologize, and offer a bid of $23 on lot #13. If you would be so kind as to tell me what I have bid on, I would appreciate it.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.