NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-06-2015, 08:39 AM
pariah1107

Default Mt. Rainier Professional Baseball League - Is it legit?

Ellensburg, Washington has been without minor league baseball for 60 years, and the Yakima Bears recently packed up and left town for greener pastures in Oregon (2014). This is an area hungry for baseball again.

Along comes Mike Greene, a former manager affiliated with the Douglas Diablos of the Pecos League. I am not familiar with the reality television show, but understand the League "burned a lot of bridges" in their communities. I do not want businesses to be fleeced in Ellensburg, and have my concerns about the legitimacy of the Mt. Rainier Professional Baseball League (MRPBL). I understand historically these teams fail, and lose money.

Timeline; Greene wants to establish an independent "professional baseball league" with 6 teams in the PNW, August 1, 2014. August 27, 2014 the MRPBL website announced Centralia, Grays Harbor, Skagit Valley, Moses Lake, Oregon City, and Lake Oswego as locations. On October 12, 2014 the MRPBL announced the Centralia Minotaurs have relocated to Ellensburg. I consider myself pretty plugged into local baseball but did not hear about this "team" until an article appeared in the Daily Record March 1, 2015 (season set to begin May 21, 2015)

Other locations and teams that have been linked to the MRPBL (which has not played a game yet); Kennewick Sockeyes, Olympia Osprey, Lacey Osprey, Richland Sun Rays, McMinnville Mad Hatters, Vancouver Mud Turtles, etc. It seems this league is randomly going from city to city asking for cash, and sponsorships without guarantee there will be a product on the field.

Red Flags: There is one owner of all six teams, Mike Greene, who has a couple unnamed financial backers. The Moses Lake Rattlesnakes and Ellensburg Bulls have the same GM, Keith Marshall. Rotary Park in Ellensburg does not have lights, and seats only 400-500. Games would have to start at 4, or 5 in the evening, and many people are not off work by then.

That being said; I'd rather take my daughter to a ballgame outdoors for $6 than to a movie theater to watch blood and gore for $10. Does anyone have information to share on the possible revival of small town baseball (less than 15,000 people)? Thank you in advance....

A suspicious but hopeful baseball fan,
Ty Phelan

Last edited by pariah1107; 03-06-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 PM

There are a lot of players who get passed over in the draft and want to continue to chase their professional dreams. Finding players for the league is not an issue in fact I have a lot of my former players who have signed to play in that league we will see how it will do. The Mike Greene is putting a lot of effort into getting the league off the ground.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 PM
pariah1107

I see tryouts are scheduled across the state, the Ellensburg Bulls have hired Dan Schwam to manage the team, and signed 16 players thus far. I am sure Mike has his hands full.

One concern is: the math seems to be off. He claims 200 people in the stands every game will cover expenses. Players are to be paid $100-$150 per week (depending on attendance). 24 man rosters. That's $4,800 minimum expenditures on $4,800 revenue in ticket sales for every other week Thursday-Sunday games. The operating budget is $0? Logistically I don't see how it is possible to have a team in Whitefish, Montana play a league opponent in Oregon City on an operating budget of $0. I am sure there are other avenues to raise revenue for a ballclub, but this seems unrealistic.

I want professional baseball in Ellensburg probably worse than anyone, but always thought the West Coast League was a better opportunity with more infrastructure. I wish him the best of luck, but sincerely hope Mike's efforts do not sour the appetite for organized baseball here.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Dave

I imagine they will depend on concessions to make up the gap. Whenever I go to minor league games with my family, we always spend way more in the stadium then we ever do on the actual tickets.

That said, most of these Independent leagues bleed money. Hopefully they have a benefactor behind them that this doesn't matter a whole lot to.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:00 PM
pariah1107

Concessions and merchandise may help, but I find reports like the following disheartening, especially the responses by Mike Greene. However, many wrinkles may have been ironed out between October and March:

https://ballparkbiz.wordpress.com/20...seball-league/

Last edited by pariah1107; 03-06-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Looks a bit strange, but maybe they have some idea to make it all work. Minor league ball in general was a money loser until the advent of marketing the logos and adding more entertainment like stunts or Tshirt slingshots to the games.

Nashua had/has? and independent team and while the stadium was a bit bigger, it wasn't huge or fancy. The baseball was actually quite good, both teams I saw were a mix of undrafted guys giving it another try or two and ex- major leaguers either playing for fun, or attempting a slim chance comeback. The ticket was really inexpensive, and seating was sort of wherever you wanted. We sat a bit behind home plate, far enough back to be near a couple scouts with radar guns. Pretty nice outing overall.

Steve B
Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Moses Lake? I'm willing to make the drive to check out a game before Spokane's season starts...
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 AM
pariah1107

Don't get your hopes up. Not to be confused with the Moses Lake Rattlers Fast-Pitch Softball team, the Moses Lake Rattlesnakes baseball team appointed a manager Simon Walters Nov. 20, 2014, and have only signed 3 players according to the MRPBL site. None since February 4, 2015. Teams as of today are: Ellensburg Bulls, Moses Lake Rattlesnakes, Glacier (Montana) Grizzlies, Oregon City Mud Turtles, Skagit Valley Lumberjacks, and Grays Harbor Gulls.

When I go to the site, I see they are selling season tickets, 10-game packages, and apparel for Moses Lake. What I don't see is a schedule, or any direct contact info for the team. Strange for a league that has Opening Day in two months.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moses...13116005544863
http://mrpbl.pointstreaksites.com/view/mrpbl

Edited to add: It took some digging, but here's the potential 2015 season schedule for the Moses Lake Rattlesnakes, and roster with 15 pitchers?! Mike Greene has replaced Keith Marshall as GM, Marshall retains his GM job for Ellensburg. This is comically chaotic:
http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/...seasonid=29081

Last edited by pariah1107; 03-10-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM
pariah1107

I am hoping for the best but when I read the latest cryptic message from the Ellensburg Bulls page: "Late tonight will be the announcement about the Ellensburg Bulls." (5hrs ago, 4-27-15) I'd be more optimistic if it said "an announcement" rather than "the announcement". I expect the worst....

Edited to add: In last week's episode of the MRPBL, Catch the Drama:

4-23: Phil Savage resigned as Grays Harbor Gulls manager, strange since they seemed to be the most organized of any of the 6 teams
Dan Schwam also resigned as Ellensburg Bulls manager
4-27: The above statement, still no announcement (4-28)
4-28: This rather distressing facebook message on the MRPBL site: "My name is Ryan Duva and I received a player contract on MArch 18th for the Ellensburg Bulls. I sent it via fax and email on March 19th the next day to the fax and mailing address provided. I also have tried contacting the email provided on the contract several times regarding this issue. I am not on the Bulls roster and am worried. Please contact me ASAP as I already have my plane tickets purchased and am ready to go. My contact info is........ or you can reply to this facebook message. Thank you for taking the time to resolve this problem." This message was posted 5 hours ago, followed by another player just adding "...."

This would be hilarious if it obviously did not jeopardize players futures. Still waiting for that riveting announcement Mike.

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-28-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:17 PM
pariah1107

Announcement: The Ellensburg Bulls have been sold to Selwyn Young of SLYSPORTS LLC. Delwyn Young will be the hitting coach, and John Hayes will manage the team. https://www.facebook.com/MTRAINIERBASEBALLLEAGUE

Sold? That's quite the coup for a franchise with hypothetical value, and only virtual presence. See you at the ballpark next month.

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-28-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 PM

Would love to know what the sale price was
Old 05-14-2015, 09:48 PM
pariah1107

Spring training begins for 60 prospective Ellensburg Bulls & Moses Lake Rattlesnakes tomorrow. I must admit I never thought this turkey would get off the ground, but Mike Greene and his ownership group have seemingly covered the bases. Still not sure how 6pm start times will work on a field with no lights, but we'll see or not be able to.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM

The league launched yesterday (even though two games were played and still not box score posted). Make sure you post your thoughts after you attend your first game.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 PM
pariah1107

My compliments to the new owners of the team for increased exposure and familiarity with the players. A few former CWU players now on the Bulls roster visited Lincoln Elementary, and Morgan Middle School to sign autographs last Monday and Tuesday. A great introduction to the Bulls for youngsters. They also played CWU in a seven inning exhibition game on Wednesday for $1 admission .

Ellensburg was on the road to open the season this weekend at Moses Lake and won their first ballgame last night 5 to 2. Opening Day at Rotary Park is next Thursday. I will definitely keep others updated.

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-22-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 PM

The three CWU players are all great guys. I had them last summer. Glad to see they are getting a chance to play pro ball. Now if their unis could just come in

Last edited by MacDice; 05-23-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 PM
pariah1107

Opening Day for the Ellensburg Bulls at Rotary Park was closing day for the MRPBL. The Bulls even wore uniforms, after four games without. The game began at 530 though the teams facebook site, newspaper, and schedules indicated the game would start at 600pm. By the final out of the 15 to 8 slugfest the season was over with the following announcement by Commissioner Mike Greene:

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/mrp...72/news_303196

A most inglorious end....

Last edited by pariah1107; 05-30-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:29 PM

Feel bad for those players who sacrificed so much for their chance to play pro ball. Half the games never got scored so most of these kids accomplishments will never be recorded
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 AM
pariah1107

"A lot of very frustrated players and their families right now. Thanks to you for all you've done & hope for a miracle so these young men can continue to go after their dreams they've sacrificed so much for..." Josh Kallunki Skagit Valley Lumberjacks facebook site

Things started to fall apart in the first week of the season when Opening Day at Moses Lake was cancelled, though the teams did play a three game series Moses Lake v. Ellensburg Bulls. An unscheduled Memorial Day game between Ellensburg and the Glacier Outlaws at Moses Lake was strange. Players were sans uniforms.

The league fell apart on May 29th, when a Grays Harbor Gulls v. Skagit Valley Lumberjacks did not start until 7:50pm though scheduled to start at 6pm. The Gulls were late to the ballpark for unknown reasons. The Oregon City Mud Turtles game versus Moses Lake was cancelled one minute before the first pitch, according to their facebook page: "Game tonight has been rescheduled as part of a double header tomorrow..." When asked for a reason, "Moses Lake didn't show?", the only explanation given was "We were trying to get umpires but will have some tomorrow." On May 30th, the Gulls left Skagit Valley back home for Hoquiam, the game was cancelled, and Mike Greene's state of the league address was made.

I believe Ellensburg will finish their series with Glacier, but it is not yet known what the ownership group SLYSPORTS LLC will do with no league. It is really a shame how this all unfolded after four to six games. RIP MRPBL.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:00 PM
pariah1107

After the bomb, the fallout....The Ellensburg Bulls cancelled their last game with the Glacier Outlaws due to a scheduling conflict at Rotary Park?! Bizarre. Rumors of a contracted four-team MRPBL were immediately quashed by Ellensburg Bulls & Moses Lake Rattlesnakes GM Keith Marshall on the Bulls facebook site:

"This is not true folks, none of the Bulls have been paid per our contract with Mike Greene, including Coach Jim (Hayes) and myself, yet more is expected from us. Selwyn did not buy the team according to his attorney.... At some point you have to stop working so hard without pay. I'm so sorry for the players, they are incredible human beings, and deserve much more. This was a great idea, just underfunded, which happens with many ideas in life. I really hope this can work sometime."

Here's todays Daily Record article about the demise of the league with a couple interesting quotes from players, manager, and GM:

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/membe...157fb4544.html

Last edited by pariah1107; 06-01-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Ben North

That is horrible for the kids playing and the coaches. Just shows how 1 idiot with a dream and no plan can ruin a lot of peoples lives. Pretty much the same thing happened here in the mid 90's.