NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-16-2024, 07:28 PM

Default Pete Rose Thoughts?

Not taking about Pete rose the gambler or pets rose the manager but…as a PLAYER, did anyone love or play the game better than Pete Rose? Why doesn’t he have more hobby love? (As a player)
Old 04-16-2024, 08:03 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Long ago I noticed he’s smiling or laughing more than anybody on his cards
Old 04-16-2024, 09:19 PM

I distinctly remember how disappointed I was as a kid to learn that Pete Rose bet on baseball -- and he never even played for my hometown teams. It was a super big deal and covered extensively in a highly negative way. To the extent that the the 45-70 year old cohort is the driver of hobby love for vintage cards today, I think those memories have played a role.

I don't think that Pete Rose has done himself any favors post-ban also. All this said, while I am personally not a fan of how sports gambling has become a normalized part of the marketing of America's major sports leagues (thanks, Supreme Court), I do wonder whether the lifetime ban is a bit harsh in light of the (rightly or wrongly) more permissive attitude toward gambling today.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:23 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Pete Rose is an idiot, great ball player but a lifetime of poor decisions.

With the current commissioner spreading his cheeks for sports gambling Pete and Joe should be welcomed into the hall of fame.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-17-2024, 08:06 PM
Brandon Bailey

Not sure what you are talking about as Pete is near the top from his era in hobby love. His 60s cards and anything game used is quite pricey. He didn’t get the Covid boost Aaron, Clemente, and Koufax got but after mantle he is amongst the most collected up until Seaver or Schmidt? His auto isn’t what it used to be but he has to be on the top 10 most autos of all time, the early card show guy autograph headliners were Joe D, mantle and Rose. He is collected and priced like a top tier HOFer regardless of not being allowed in.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:15 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Not taking about Pete rose the gambler or pets rose the manager but…as a PLAYER, did anyone love or play the game better than Pete Rose? Why doesn’t he have more hobby love? (As a player)
Rose was a great role model as a player. He's the reason I decided early on that I never wanted to be a major league player, although I loved (and still do) baseball. In an interview, Pete told of having a batting cage in his basement, and taking 100 swings right-handed, and 100 swings left-handed, every day during the off-season. I remember thinking I didn't love baseball THAT much.

Pete was a pretty average player in high school, but he was the ultimate over-achiever, through hard work, desire, and hustle. And he was a winner several times. He took care of himself, obviously, to last long enough to get all those hits.

If Rose had the personality of a Tony Gwynn or Stan Musial, he might've been the most popular player of the second half of the 20th century. Ruth the first.

Last edited by Mark17; 04-17-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
Not sure what you are talking about as Pete is near the top from his era in hobby love. His 60s cards and anything game used is quite pricey. He didn’t get the Covid boost Aaron, Clemente, and Koufax got but after mantle he is amongst the most collected up until Seaver or Schmidt? His auto isn’t what it used to be but he has to be on the top 10 most autos of all time, the early card show guy autograph headliners were Joe D, mantle and Rose. He is collected and priced like a top tier HOFer regardless of not being allowed in.
+1. How many 60's Topps cards outsell Rose's 63? He's at the very top.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:26 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
+1. How many 60's Topps cards outsell Rose's 63? He's at the very top.
Nolan Ryan's 68 Topps rookie card and Tom Seaver's 67 Topps rookie card are probably the only ones that are comparable to Rose's rookie card for 60's Topps cards.