NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
David Levin

Default Super Rare Ty Cobb Tango Egg, the Myth

I recently had a very nice find of t213-II Coupon Tobacco cards.
The seller, who was from Metaire, LA., also had some Cracker Jacks a General Baking and This Ty Cobb with a Tango Egg back.

The card had previously been rumored to exist, but apparently had never been seen, at least not by the masses.

I have already sold the card, and I believe it is now in a SGC 10 Holder.
Condition wise, truly a card only a mother could love, but what a rarity!!

Here it is: Ty Cobb Tango Egg Back!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default PSA wouldn't slab it and.....

Hey David
That is a great card but call me Mr. Skeptical. Not sure the fact that Joe O said they wouldn't slab it has any bearing on my thoughts but I just don't know about it. If it's real it's a really neat card. Thanks for posting and best regards
Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Tom Boblitt

It is, if nothing else, interesting......that's odd that PSA wouldn't slab it too.........I mean, they've slabbed enough Tango's--primarily Jennings and Bescher to have a good feel for it all........
Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey David
That is a great card but call me Mr. Skeptical. Not sure the fact that Joe O said they wouldn't slab it has any bearing on my thoughts but I just don't know about it.
LOL yeah unless Joe O is on board im worried too...

Haven't a few others had the same type of stamp on the back?

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-10-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Nice card, I wonder why it cant be slabbed by PSA?? They are failing bigtime nowadays IMO

I once owned a Jennings that was only slight better condition than that Cobb. The Jennings was dirty with creases and rounded corners.

Not all Tangos are from that "Find" back in 1992 Im sure they were considered very rare before 1992, maybe even rarer than the related D303 Mothers cards.

I wish I still had scans of the Jennings I once owned, it was bought in eBay back about 1999-2000 from a lady in New Orleans who also have a few D303 Mothers cards, T216, T213-2, T214 cards too.

Last edited by fkw; 03-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Did this card come from the big Red Cross Tobacco find?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:13 PM
James Gallo

Default Rebacked

Quote:
Hey David
That is a great card but call me Mr. Skeptical. Not sure the fact that Joe O said they wouldn't slab it has any bearing on my thoughts but I just don't know about it. If it's real it's a really neat card. Thanks for posting and best regards
Leon,

Are you saying the card might be rebacked? Seems pretty evenly beat. I really have no knowledge of the issue just wondering.

James
Old 03-10-2011, 03:13 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Same type of stamp....same "5" exact and letter "N" In fact if you overlay them they match exact, even the spacing between the "No" and the three digit code is exact. So unless someone took an auth Tango back with stamp (of which only one I know of has been seen) and then re-backed the Cobb and then beat it up to make age? But this also goes back to the find where did they come from?

I dont think there's anything wrong with that card above...besides a few 100 bike tires and spokes...over it's years. IMO

Better scans..

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

PSA may have refused to slab the card because it may have been too fragile. I had some very fragile E121's where PSA's slabbing machine damaged while trying to slab. PSA called me immediately when it happened to the first one and explained something about their vacuum sealing process damaged the card. (The card was already in very poor shape to begin with.) Anyway, PSA offered reparations, but refused to slab the rest of the cards. I sent these cards to SGC, who slabbed them without any problems. Might've been the same issue here.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I am probably skeptical for nothing....

I am probably skeptical for nothing. It's just the rarity combined with the shape it's in combined with the different color printing than I have seen on others made me skeptical. Probably no worries at all. I think it is healthy to be a bit skeptical in our hobby though. For those that aren't ever skeptical, bless you.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Dan Studebaker

Good point Gary, SGC also refused to slab this Kotton of mine because they were worried it wouldn't survive the process.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Anthøny N. ex

The Cobb is legit, and I strongly believe it is pre find. It has the same back stamp as the Oakes that I own, that John posted.
The more I research this set, the more I'm sure there are a lot more cards in it. It is my belief (although I don't have ironclad proof) that this is the same as the D303 set, with a different back printing. The cards in the find were the ones that weren't distributed, but Oakes, among others, were.
The Cobb that Dave owned has the same number stamp as the Oakes, and it makes me wonder if all the ones that were distributed were stamped numerically.
Frank, do you remember if your Jennings had a number stamped on the back?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Brian Dwyer

As it was explained to me, PSA was concerned with the fragility of the card, not the authenticity. I'm not sure of PSA's protocol, but SGC required that a waiver be signed prior to encapsulation due to the fragile nature of the card.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Nothing wrong with being skeptical.

The above Cobb is very cool! Not only is it a Cobb which has never been seen but talked about nonstop on these boards. But it actually seems to have the redemption stamp.

Only one other Tango that I’m aware of has that stamp is the Oakes above. It was sold in Heritage Auctions for around $800 not mentioning the stamp.

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...3&Lot_No=43006

Then I think the card was flipped the next day for big money or so to another collector. So the Cobb should be a 10k card easily IMO. If nothing less to fill a check off a list if you’re doing a Tango set.

The stamps were either redemptions via Tango Eggs themselves or a local shop owner that had a redemption or stamping thing going on.

I would love to have both cards to compare in person like I did with the T206 overprints. But none the less Cobb with a stamp is very, very cool.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-10-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Anthøny N. ex

John-
The Oakes was won by another board member in Heritage, he held onto it for 6 months before I was able to pry it away from him. Not really big money, but I think we were both ok with it. Frankly I was really shocked that Heritage didn't realize what they had and promote it- it is uncataloged and they should've noticed that.

Last edited by Griffins; 03-10-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Anthony if it was more than $4.78 it's big money to me!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Larry

Good to be skeptical. Sometimes you have to take a chance, though, and that would be a good one to do it on. Great card of a fabulous player! Make mine rare.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 03-10-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
qu@n nguy3n

funny that psa would take a stand with this card, with all the examples wonka showed above.

i hope it sold for cheaper raw because psa rejected it lol

Last edited by chaddurbin; 03-10-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Hi Anthony, I didnt even know about the back stamp or even the Oakes card until this post. Similar looking to the T212 stamps in some ways.
I dont recall the beat up Jennings I had over 10 years ago had the stamp but Im not 100% sure without a picture anymore..... Ive had 5 computers since then and a couple fried so I lost a lot of unique pics from the eBay early days and my collection I had saved.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default what I was told

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
funny that psa would take a stand with this card, with all the examples wonka showed above.

i hope it sold for cheaper raw because psa rejected it lol
What I was told is what folks said above.....PSA (Joe) thought the card could crumble in the authentication process and that is why they wouldn't do it. After seeing John's comparison of backs above it would be hard to think this is a faked card. Neat find.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Marty Pritchard

Quote:
What I was told is what folks said above.....PSA (Joe) thought the card could crumble in the authentication process and that is why they wouldn't do it. After seeing John's comparison of backs above it would be hard to think this is a faked card. Neat find.
Leon, that is sure not the impression that I got from your first post. I had the impression that you felt that PSA was casting doubts on the card. That may not have been what you meant, but it appears that you had knowledge of some information and choose not to include it to give an implied opinion.

PSA wouldn't slab it and.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey David
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 PM
David Levin

Default Tango Egg Ty Cobb! Super Rare Card!

Joe said they would not slab it because he was afraid he would damage the card in the process.

SGC put it in a 10 holder.

The card is fine. The source that I got the card had no idea what it was, it was lumped in with a bunch of cracker jacks and coupons.

The card is legit
Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default possibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Leon, that is sure not the impression that I got from your first post. I had the impression that you felt that PSA was casting doubts on the card. That may not have been what you meant, but it appears that you had knowledge of some information and choose not to include it to give an implied opinion.

PSA wouldn't slab it and.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey David
Marty- I used my wording carefully. In the back of my mind I didn't see how slabbing that card would make it crumble. After the posts here it does seem as though that is a concern amongst grading companies.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Normal practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
As it was explained to me, PSA was concerned with the fragility of the card, not the authenticity. I'm not sure of PSA's protocol, but SGC required that a waiver be signed prior to encapsulation due to the fragile nature of the card.
I can vouch for that practice, but I wasn't originally offered to submit a waiver. I had submitted this raw Joe Jackson to SGC, only to be told that they were concerned that it could possibly be damaged (bottom corner) during their encapsulation process. I was a little disappointed, but wanting to have it encapsulated, I sent it to BVG. During one of SGC's appearances at a show, I was then offered that option and it now rests in a pretty nice looking frame

Before and after.

r/
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joe jackson.jpg (50.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg 1914 JOE JACKSON.jpg (41.6 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 03-11-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Brian Daniels

Default Tango Tinker

Doug Allen sold me a Tango Tinker for $200 in 1999. Wonder if he still has a photo of it? A known Tango collector in LA has it now. I sold it to him as part of the most complete set known in spite of all the rumors about these cards over the years. And yes,there are several different ones in various low grades floating around that would have a POP of "one".
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Looks like the card has ended up in the upcoming Goowin auction. Did the buyer actually take posession of the card or was it directly shipped to Bill? LOL