NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default HOF collection options

Posted By: John S

I, like many of you, am working on a HOF collection (both baseball and football). I am seeking suggestions/opinions regarding general collecting options for players that do not have cards. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

If you have tried Conlon, Cuban, Fritsch, and TCMA; please tell me which HOFers have no cards. I do not collect HOF players, but I do collect some groups of players which are not fully represented on cards. I am developing a plan to make my own.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Sorry Gil....should have included that cards must be produced while the individual was active.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Yes John, I know. But when you can not achieve that criteria do you do without the card, or do you then comprimize your criteria.

I have chosen to comprimize when cards issued during the player's career are unavailable.

And further John, as I indicated, when this comprimize still does not yield a card - such as I am now facing - what do you do? I am assembling pictures of the wanted players with the plan to create my own cards.

In essence, I have chosen to complete the presentation by including every player (not just every card)independent of commercial availability of cards adequate to accomplish that.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I think you should call the Hall of Fame and just have the guy removed.

I did this 35 years ago for Freddy "Horse & Buggy" Lavallier... and it worked. He got yanked from the HOF.

Never heard of him?

That's because I paid extra to have all of his records from the 1890's expunged.

It was a lot cheaper than trying to find a card for him since he was not in the 1895 Mayo set.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

For HOFer's without true vintage cards, I settle for vintage photos, periodicals, advertisements to substitute. The issue must be cardboard or paper and from the HOFer's active period.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

what about postcards? Are you counting that as "cards."

I'm stuck in the same situation, as (like many) am trying to put together the rookie cards (or first card produced) of all HOF'ers.

Vintage photos might be the way to go.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

I like many am a hof collector too and just got past the halfway mark. I am going for a card of every member of the hall of fame. This includes players, managers, executives, etc. If the person is in the hall and never had a card produced from their active career I will try and get a cabinet photo of them, an org. photo of them, or their autograph. So this means that for example Alexander Cartwright, insted of getting his 1950 Callahan or another insert card of his that was produced long after his death, I will try to either get an autograph of his or a cabinet photo of him. I would rather have something "period" of the person even if not a card than I would rather have a card of theirs produced long after their death. Judge Landis is another good example, he has no cards that were produced of him while he was active in baseball so since his autograph his not impossbile to obtain I will get an autograph of his insted of his 1950 Callahan etc.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: will watson

wire photos, postcards, advertising pieces, books, Harper's woodcuts, magazine/newspaper articles, etc.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Jacobs

Hal:

I happen to have an uncatalogued N-167 Lavallier that my father found in an old family Bible. It was the last card I needed for my HOF collection.

But, I'd be willing to trade it for your ratty T-206 Wagner to help you out. Lavallier could then return to his rightful spot in the Hall of Fame.

Let me know.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Curses, foiled again!

I should have known that someone out there on the left coast would still be hanging on to a Lavallier card.

I must admit that I never knew he was in the N167 set...

but I see now that they actually misspelled his name as:

"CORCORAN"

Old 10-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

One of the things that I love about HOF collecting is that you can make your own rules.

For the set I'm working on, I am starting by trying to get one card from every member of the Hall. I am also trying to do it with as many card types as possible. Right now I'm at something like 95 players and 85 card types, or somewhere in that ballpark.

In many cases, I have a specific card in mind for one reason or another. For example, I want a T206 White Cap Matty, because I think that's a beautiful card. I pass on all other Mattys. For McGraw, I want a card that uses an actual photo, since I think his face has so much character - so I've passed on lots of tobacco and caramel McGraws. For Rube Waddell, I wanted a T206 portrait, since that was one of my favorite cards as a kid, and the first T206 I ever bought with my own money.

For people who are in as managers, I am permitting their player cards to be included in my set, and vice-versa.

Lastly, I am allowing "tribute cards" in my set, although I prefer the cards to be in period. However, I'm not adverse to a 1950 Callahan or a 1961 Fleer being in my set. A good example is Yaz - Yaz cards are plentiful. However, the summer I opened a box of semi-shiny modern stuff with my son, and we pulled out an autographed Yaz. I thought it was cool, and it went right into my HOF set.

My set, my rules. I think virtually every HOF collector I know has their own set of rules. That's what makes it so much fun.

-Al

Old 10-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: will watson

i also collect type HOF type set. but since im in college and poor, i have to limit my collection to pretty much anything i can find. i have McFarlane figurines, Starting Lineups, records, cups, pins, pencil holders, cards, wheaties boxes, books, etc. here are a few pics:

Old 10-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I have started collecting all the bb HOFers in EX or better. Like the above posters, I feel tribute cards are fine and dandy. I am at 133 cards already so Zach you have some catching up to do.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-SHAKEYS-PIZZA-PARTIAL-SET-OF-133-CARDS-MISSING-25_W0QQitemZ8707161635QQcategoryZ70387QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem