NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2024, 07:07 PM
Bob B.

MLB- "Players, you are not allowed to bet on Baseball"
Also MLB- "Fans, bet on Baseball, (responsibly of course, lol), you don't want to let our sponsors down"
Me- Nothing to see here folks, all seems reasonable, move along.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:18 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I mean what are the odds of this happening???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:51 PM
Jim Reynolds

I haven't been following this story much, but did I see something that the bets were actually Ohtani's?
Old 04-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

duplicate post -

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-11-2024 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:19 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

update just now -

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/f...th-bank-fraud/

Feds found Mizuhara embezzled over 16 million from Ohtani. He is in the process of taking a plea deal now.

"The U.S. Attorney's Office has obtained recordings of telephone calls in which Mizuhara allegedly spoke to bank employees and falsely claimed to be Ohtani, including providing biographical information, in order to ensure the bank would approve the wire transfers. Estrada also alleged that Mizuhara denied anyone else access to Ohtani's bank account, including his agent, accountant and financial advisor."

This is definitely an outline of how to not trust people explicitly, and understand you need to have checkers for the checkers when your finances are such that 16 million can go missing and it's not noticed. Imagine a situation like Elon, where if you did not have an army of accountants a literal half billion could walk away and you may not notice for a year. Certainly is a different life than I can understand, but I feel for the guy. I hope this pushes him to focus on building his english and being a bit more safe.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:23 PM

As someone who is authorized to make wire transfers and does so professionally, I do not believe this version of the story either.

For example, I have to submit my requests to an e-mail address. The request must come from my account and the bank will only call me on my approved phone number to confirm the wire request. The entire confirmation and phone call occurs on a recorded line. I then receive a receipt for the request via e-mail.

So, the only way for that version of the story to be true, is for the interpreter to be in sole possession of Ohtani's personal devices or for he himself to be authorized to draw on the account. We know that isn't the case because if it were, he wouldn't say he was impersonating anyone.

At some point I expect Ohtani's bank to chime in. I highly doubt they want other clients to think their funds are equally as vulnerable to seemingly lax security measures.

Last edited by packs; 04-11-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:34 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
At some point I expect Ohtani's bank to chime in. I highly doubt they want other clients to think their funds are equally as vulnerable to seemingly lax security measures.
It seems they already are deeply involved and are unlikely to be able to talk about it until after trial.

The recordings and interviews are done and the Feds main charge is bank fraud and seeking up to 30 years. I don't even see an argument here if a conviction is made.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:31 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
As someone who is authorized to make wire transfers and does so professionally, I do not believe this version of the story either.

For example, I have to submit my requests to an e-mail address. The request must come from my account and the bank will only call me on my approved phone number to confirm the wire request. The entire confirmation and phone call occurs on a recorded line. I then receive a receipt for the request via e-mail.

So, the only way for that version of the story to be true, is for the interpreter to be in sole possession of Ohtani's personal devices or for he himself to be authorized to draw on the account. We know that isn't the case because if it were, he wouldn't say he was impersonating anyone.

There are different rules for different people though. Your experience sending wire transfers almost certainly differs from that of someone like Ohtani.

Nate Silver, founder of fivethirtyeight.com and an avid high-stakes gambler, had this to say on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Silver
Look, people in the gambling part of my world routinely need to exchange large amounts of money, and wire transfers are a convenient method for accomplishing this. And contrary to what you might think, and what I’ve seen assumed elsewhere, they won’t necessarily trigger that much due diligence from your bank, particularly for domestic wires. (Foreign wires are a different story.) Especially if you have a track record of doing so, you can log onto your online banking portal and send a wire without ever getting a phone call or otherwise hearing from a human being. Different customers will have different limits, but a VIP like Ohtani is likely to have high limits. It’s not quite as easy as sending a payment by Zelle or something, but sending a wire isn’t that much harder, either.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:43 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
There are different rules for different people though. Your experience sending wire transfers almost certainly differs from that of someone like Ohtani.

Nate Silver, founder of fivethirtyeight.com and an avid high-stakes gambler, had this to say on the matter:
It definitely wouldn't surprise me if someone with as much money as Ohtani has would have different rules associated with how he could move money around. If the interpreter was able to successfully convince someone at the bank that he was Ohtani and wanted to be able to wire large amounts, after getting that done once he was probably able to do it repeatedly without as much oversight as you would expect.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:47 PM

Every time read $4.5 mil, my mind thinks what cards I’d have bought lol
Old 03-21-2024, 09:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
MLB- "Players, you are not allowed to bet on Baseball"
Also MLB- "Fans, bet on Baseball, (responsibly of course, lol), you don't want to let our sponsors down"
Me- Nothing to see here folks, all seems reasonable, move along.
100% agree, Manfred and MLB have dropped to their knees and grabbed the hips of corporate gambling.

No reason to keep Jackson and Rose out of the hall anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
100% agree, Manfred and MLB have dropped to their knees and grabbed the hips of corporate gambling.

No reason to keep Jackson and Rose out of the hall anymore.
Yep. Or even more reason to stay firm and try to hold the higher ground. Things may get very messy soon.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2024, 07:50 AM

Can you guys explain what Pete Rose or Joe Jackson have to do with Ohtani? I understand the general term "gambling" applies but is there no nuance between potentially gambling on a Premier League soccer game and gambling on a game you're managing? Or throwing the World Series on purpose?
Old 03-22-2024, 08:22 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Can you guys explain what Pete Rose or Joe Jackson have to do with Ohtani? I understand the general term "gambling" applies but is there no nuance between potentially gambling on a Premier League soccer game and gambling on a game you're managing? Or throwing the World Series on purpose?
Right now, I don't see any connection between Ohtani and Rose or Jackson. If further details come out proving Ohtani was betting on baseball, that definitely changes things, but so far, there is no evidence to make that claim.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:37 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
I am shocked. Shocked! To find out that gambling could be happening in baseball.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2024, 08:57 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Response

From Casablanca…. Your winnings Sir !
Old 03-22-2024, 11:28 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
My comment was on MLB embracing gambling in general, I was not trying to make a connection with Ohtani.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-