NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Game-used photo matches

After seeing batmaster's 1960 Cleveland jersey photo-match, I'm curious how many other photo-matches forum members have been able to do?

The only one I remember clearly is Al's Munson jersey, which is simply amazing.

Please post up and mine will be coming in a few days (waiting for hi-res photos to arrive in the mail).
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I write some of the descriptions for Goldin Auctions and one of my favorite things when doing that is seeing photo matches of game-used jerseys or bats. It's not very often that you can get a direct link to something that was definitively "there" at a certain moment in history, and I get quite a thrill at writing those up. That Indian jersey was great to see in the ther thread and I look forward to seeing what some of the members here have in their collections!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I write some of the descriptions for Goldin Auctions and one of my favorite things when doing that is seeing photo matches of game-used jerseys or bats. It's not very often that you can get a direct link to something that was definitively "there" at a certain moment in history, and I get quite a thrill at writing those up. That Indian jersey was great to see in the ther thread and I look forward to seeing what some of the members here have in their collections!
Speaking of Goldin, who wrote the description for the 1985 NFC Conference game-used football? I called Goldin this morning and they said they couldn't provide any additional info. I was ready to bid, but they couldn't do anything to help with my confidence.

I remember us discrediting a few items that auction houses claimed were game-used, but other than the Munson jersey, I can't remember any positive photo matches.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 PM
N@te

I think photo matching anything from the 90's and older is quite a task and is very cool. On a different note, I don't think it's very hard for someone to photomatch an item that is authenticated, so I kind of get a chuckle when people do that.

Here are a few that I have on my iPad that I will post.

1) 2013 Giancarlo Stanton game used bat.
2) Pedro Martinez game used Mets bat

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM
N@te

Stanton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.4 KB, 235 views)

Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM
N@te

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.2 KB, 235 views)

Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM
N@te

Martinez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.6 KB, 236 views)

Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
I think photo matching anything from the 90's and older is quite a task and is very cool.
+1
I've tried it a few times, and it can be a crapshoot unless you have an incredibly large archive of images to work from or one focused on the particular player you're hunting. Even then, it can be hard to find the right image with enough visible details to match to the piece you're interested in. Newer stuff is easier because there are hi-def images of practically everything on the field.

Having done it so infrequently, it could be that there's something that I'm missing, but it makes me envious/incredulous when I'm watching something like All-Star Dealers where they get a jersey in and seemingly within 15 minutes this guy pulls up multiple images of high enough resolution to zoom in on some tiny detail. "Whew, that was a tough one. It nearly took me my whole lunch break to find a positive photo match!"
Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM
N@te

Yep! Newer stuff is much easier to photomatch with all the resources we now have.

But I will admit, it took me a while to photomatch that Stanton because I literally had to check every at bat in mid 2012(when the bat was made) until present when I found the match in a 2013 game. He carried the damn bat over to the next year and took me for-ever!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Al

Default munson

Scott,
Here you go. I have to thank Brock for that one. I knew years ago when I got it that it was used in the world series but it was great to get the proof.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-12-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Al

You can see the the 5 is pushed right up to the pinstripe. One thing about yankee home pinstripes is they are like a fingerprint. Logos ,numbers are sewned on differently. Also the pinstripe line up under the arms are always different.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-20-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm drooling. I only kept one card from my 'childhood' - this Munson. At the time, Munson wasn't a star and I'm not a Yankee fan, so the card stayed in better shape than my others. There are only two cards in my collection that I would never part with - Munson and my first T206, Dan McGann.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:11 PM

Here's one I had posted as a pick up back in August:

Larry Bowa game used rookie glove photo matched to his 1971 Topps baseball card.

And one that I actually may not have posted before even though I had posted a photo of the glove and cleats together. I'd say this is 99% a match. I can't imagine it not being the same glove.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Brock

Justin Smoak photo matched to his first career HIT and HOMERUN.

Miguel Montero photo matched to being used to hit 3 homeruns and many hits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoak 1st hit.jpg (74.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg smoak 1st hr.JPG (78.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Montero5.JPG (47.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Montero 6th inn 23rd April HOME RUN 4.jpg (84.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I bought a 1987 Keith Hernandez jersey on EBay that was advertised as an autographed retail, I thought it looked like a legit game used jersey so I bought it, I was able to photomatch it to several Mets games I have on tape and to a pic on Getty of Keith and Rodney Dangerfield from Rodney Dangerfield Day at Shea Stadium. Still my favorite jersey score.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Some modern gu collectors only buy what they can photomatch and I'm sure many tape every game they can. Errors in NFL COAs, such as a genuine game used jersey but from a different game than listed (NFL LOA's usually list the specific game the item is from), are found from photomatches. No doubt the current Giants issues were discovered by photomatching collectors.

For older game used where photos are scarce, there's the 'style match,' meaning the jersey (cut, font, emblems, arm stripes, etc) matches up with jerseys documented to have been worn by the team, even if the only pictures available are of different players. Many collectors demand at least a style match, and don't understand how an LOA can be issued where there's no known documentation that the team ever wore that style of jersey.

I once had a pair of 1990s high top shoes supposedly worn by an often photographed NFL star that came with an LOA from a coach. I even heard from a collector of that team that the coach was a reliable source and I had seen shoes from the same coach given LOAs from MEARS. The only problem was the player heavily taped his shoes every game (60+% of the shoes would be covered in white tape), making even style matching near impossible. I had no reason to doubt the provenance or coach, but was never comfortable with the shoes without a style match.

Last edited by drcy; 02-08-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:05 PM
Ken Goldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Speaking of Goldin, who wrote the description for the 1985 NFC Conference game-used football? I called Goldin this morning and they said they couldn't provide any additional info. I was ready to bid, but they couldn't do anything to help with my confidence.

I remember us discrediting a few items that auction houses claimed were game-used, but other than the Munson jersey, I can't remember any positive photo matches.
Scott: as a net 54 member, you should know
just ask for me, or email me directly
ken@goldinauctions.com
with any questions about an item in the future
sorry you missed that one
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Mark

For a nice thread that shows a deadball era Yankees cap non-match, see:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144631
Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengoldin View Post
Scott: as a net 54 member, you should know
just ask for me, or email me directly
ken@goldinauctions.com
with any questions about an item in the future
sorry you missed that one
I should have done that. The person who I spoke with 'left' for a moment, then came back and told me that there was no additional information. She sounded sincere in her effort, so I saw no reason to push the issue. But it did go very low for such an item.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Just got this game-used 2009 Dallas Cowboys throwback jersey, and was able to match it with this photo. I had planned on wearing it, but that would require about a million sit-ups.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 02-24-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Rusty Sm0l0v

Here's my 1995 season Joe Cain jersey photomatched to a Topps card:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cain Topps Match.jpg (76.8 KB, 101 views)

Always looking for Chicago Bears jerseys!
Particularly jerseys with patches...
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Rusty Sm0l0v

This is the oldest 100% photomatched jersey that I own...
A 1993 season Tim Worley road jersey with photomatches that I was able to make to the 12/12/1993 game at Tampa Bay vs Buccaneers and the 1/2/1994 at Los Angeles vs Rams

Based on how cheap the Chicago Bears were in those days, I would bet this thing was worn throughout the whole season...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tim_Worley_Photomatch_1993.jpg (80.9 KB, 100 views)

Always looking for Chicago Bears jerseys!
Particularly jerseys with patches...
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
Here's one I had posted as a pick up back in August:

Larry Bowa game used rookie glove photo matched to his 1971 Topps baseball card.

And one that I actually may not have posted before even though I had posted a photo of the glove and cleats together. I'd say this is 99% a match. I can't imagine it not being the same glove.

Hey, Tim, hope all is well.
I have been staring at these pics for a while, and I don't think your Eck glove is a photomatch. The 43 in yours appears to reach 'higher' than the cut-out webbing, whereas in the Eck photo the 3 does not reach the cut-out. I am posting a pic of my Eck glove, where I think the 43 matches up better. (Mine isn't a match because of the laces.)

Thoughts??
Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0303_2142.jpg (73.4 KB, 69 views)