NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-01-2018, 04:05 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default A Tale of Two Slabbies

I'm just confused. The card on the right is mine, the Grote is not. They share almost the exact same centering, both with a slight tilt (the top of Jerry going a bit to the right and Pete headed to the left) and equal if not identical spacing at the bottom. (FWIW, the back of the Rose is slightly O/C, but nothing that should lead to a qualifier.)

1972groterose.jpg

Both cards are recent grades, so they were both scrutinized under the 'newer' PSA standards, yet the Grote (which is ridiculously hard to find centered top to bottom) received no qualifier and the Rose got hammered. I'm happy, I guess, that Pete was slabbed O/C, because it allowed me to pick him up for virtually nothing, but the value of the Grote card was increased exponentially by the grade it received. Weird.

I guess there's no real purpose to this thread other than to just stress my bewilderment at the lack of consistency displayed here (yes, I know it's merely two cards).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-02-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:11 PM
D@le Irv*n

Just further proof, imo, that PSA is the most inconsistent grading company out there.

I've seen things from them in just 2 short years, since just joining this site, that just makes me shake my head.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Agreed; both should have gotten the OC treatment or neither should have. I think I remember an article that say that the grader only calculates the centering if they think it might be off-centered, so it's not an automatic deduction unless it tips off the grader to dig further.
But since it's an easily measurable quantity on cards with borders, they should be consistent about it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:19 PM

I don't like the o/c on that one. The deficiency there is not pronounced enough to greatly affect the overall appeal on that card, which to me is what the Q's are supposed to be about...
Old 11-02-2018, 01:06 AM
Glyn Parson

Default What do backs look like

Backs also matter in the equation. With that said at its worst point the rose is absolutely more oc. Not a fan of the qualifier if the back is not to oc would say straight 8 maybe 7 depending on the measurement.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Larry More.y

Perhaps the grader looked closer at the star card than the (low-pop) common.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:30 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
I don't like the o/c on that one. The deficiency there is not pronounced enough to greatly affect the overall appeal on that card, which to me is what the Q's are supposed to be about...
That (re)raises the general question then on why even have qualifiers as part of the grade at all? I would much rather have them 'qualify' an "Authentic" card and even a "Poor" card (when it's not obvious) then tell me something I can see with my own eyes. Borderless cards might be a different story though.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Mike Reid

Any chance you can show the backs of the cards? I have been burned because the back of the card is o/c. I know they are a little more forgiving on the centering on the back of the card than on the front.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Marcos

Yeah, this thread does not help me with my reluctance to submit (to PSA) cards from my childhood collection that I’ve recently taken interest in. This, and too many other threads, about PSA’s inconsistency. Sad.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:27 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here's the back of the Rose card. (The Grote isn't mine, so I have no access to it. In fact, it seems to have disappeared from ebay, but I can't find it in the sold/completed auctions section. A private sale? If so, some seller did quite well for himself.)

PSA standards for centering on a 9 are "90/10 or better on the reverse," so this card fits those parameters.

1972rose559back.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Well, even if it were a straight-9, the Rose, IMHO, isn't worth "full-9" price, due to the pronounced diamond-cut.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Mike Reid

I agree with the diamond cut analysis. I have submitted cards with similar diamond cuts and only realized it after the fact when the card arrived back from PSA. You might be able to resubmit and ask for no qualifier on your submission request.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
That (re)raises the general question then on why even have qualifiers as part of the grade at all? I would much rather have them 'qualify' an "Authentic" card and even a "Poor" card (when it's not obvious) then tell me something I can see with my own eyes. Borderless cards might be a different story though.
Not a fan of qualifiers in general. I think it was a silly decision. I guess the PSA brain trust was sitting at a round table discussing ways to generate revenue, and this idea for creating Q options won the day.

But to me they failed to appreciate the inherent illogical-ness that their own behavior on the matter highlights. Consider that there is no such thing as a 10(oc). Why? Because naturally even they recognize it would be absurd to have a card grade that is shorthand for "This would be a 10 except for [fill in the blank]". But if that's absurd, why is it not absurd to have "this would be a 9 except for..." etc, etc. It is silly to my mind.