NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Ben North

Default July Pickups

I got this amazing Bob Ojeda Red Sox Payroll check in the mail today. Traded a fellow member a very nice picture of Andrew Jackson even up for it.

I traded for this check sight unseen with no information other than it was a Bob Ojeda PR check. I get the check today and to my amazement it is dated July 31 1980 and Bob Ojeda pitched his first game for the Red Sox on July 13th making this one of the first checks he received as a Major League player.

This is the first Payroll check I have ever owned and am very happy to add it to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3815.jpg (78.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3816.jpg (70.7 KB, 167 views)
Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 AM

That's cool. Interesting to see the amount. I wonder if that was a weekly amount or just an incentive payout, etc.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Phil Garry

Think that was from his minor league days..........
Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Larry More.y

Awesome pick up Ben!

This is not my pick up, but my 7 yr old son's. We were on a Jeter (my son's favorite player) farewell tour game in Baltimore yesterday and my son (on his own) managed to get Jeter to sign this card. Jeter signed for just a handful after BP with my son and a few other kids his age managing to have Jeter sign either cards or balls for them. It was very refreshing to see Jeter sign for mainly kids and not the profiteering adults who crowded around the dugout also. My son now has something in his growing collection I do not, a signed Jeter card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0094.jpg (80.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Scott Ti3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Awesome pick up Ben!

This is not my pick up, but my 7 yr old son's. We were on a Jeter (my son's favorite player) farewell tour game in Baltimore yesterday and my son (on his own) managed to get Jeter to sign this card. Jeter signed for just a handful after BP with my son and a few other kids his age managing to have Jeter sign either cards or balls for them. It was very refreshing to see Jeter sign for mainly kids and not the profiteering adults who crowded around the dugout also. My son now has something in his growing collection I do not, a signed Jeter card

Very cool! What a great memory for you and your son!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Awesome pick up Ben!

Awesome story Larry. I don't have a signed Jeter either, glad your son got one. Also happy to hear Jeter signed for the kids and not the profiteering adults.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Larry More.y

Thank you Ben and Scott.....he is still stoked about his newest card. I can't believe as much as he talked before the trip about wanting to have Jeter sign for him he will ever forget (or understand how much of a challenge it was) receiving this.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Mark

It's cool that your son will always have that memory no matter what. I live in Kalamazoo where Jeter is from and in fact coached at the little league and umpired at the high school he played at.

Derek used to come back to town every now and then. When he first signed with the Yankees he was more accessible here. Then his parents moved out and we haven't seen him since. They did name the local high school baseball field after him. He has a charitable foundation here in town called "Turn 2" that helps keep kids off drugs.

I've got several items signed by him, but a friend of mine has an even cooler item. She has the jersey Derek wore in high school. It's signed by Jeter as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Scott Ti3k

Went to a local antique mall today and picked up a factory sealed 1985 Donruss set for $15.00 bucks today. Not to shabby.

Scott
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Jason Stricker

I picked up some junk wax at the Chantilly show - '88 cello box and '89 Fleer wax box. Pulled a Billy Ripken FF out of the '89 Fleer, something I had always wanted to do when I was a kid. Also pulled one Griffey Jr RC.

If anyone needs a particular 88 or 89 Fleer single, let me know. Or if anyone is interested in the leftover cards or stickers, let me know. If no interest, I'll probably throw them away.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
It's cool that your son will always have that memory no matter what. I live in Kalamazoo where Jeter is from and in fact coached at the little league and umpired at the high school he played at.

Derek used to come back to town every now and then. When he first signed with the Yankees he was more accessible here. Then his parents moved out and we haven't seen him since. They did name the local high school baseball field after him. He has a charitable foundation here in town called "Turn 2" that helps keep kids off drugs.

I've got several items signed by him, but a friend of mine has an even cooler item. She has the jersey Derek wore in high school. It's signed by Jeter as well.
Neat story Mark...your friend's jersey is certainly a rare/unique item.
Larry More.y

Quote:

x

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 07-15-2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Larry More.y

Quote:

x

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 07-15-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Away on vacation in the Seattle area and picked up some cards I needed for my sets and picked up one of the keys to the 2003 Upperdeck Playball set . A Joe DiMaggio ! Love going to DJ's . Also picked up some Vintage at great prices . Really wish we had a card shop in town. . Brett
Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Jeff

Here's something I've never seen before. A 2005 Presidential Ticket welcoming the Red Sox to the White House signed by Larry Lucchino and Theo Epstein.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005 Ticket Lucchino Epstein SGC !.jpg (71.9 KB, 43 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!