NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default back damage to a Mayo

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I was recently sold a "vg" Mayo with a decent horizontal crease. when I got it, the card had about 15% of the back surface missing from scrapbook removal (probably what generated the front crease too). IMHO a card in this shape is no better than fair. Am I on base?

Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

You are absolutely right - I recently bought a few Exhibit cards from Ebay that had the same problem. I ended up getting a partial refund because I still liked the cards, but the back damage obviously lowered the resale value should I ever want to part with them in the future.

You would not be out of line to ask to return the card or to negotiate a partial refund.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

there are collectors who consider the black back of as Mayo no more saacrosanct than the blank back of an Old Judge...I belong to the hell with it Old Judge back school--but not the Mayo. So why didn't you ask for a back scan, or at least a back report? If he implied that aside from the crease, the card was great, he lied.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

I think one would be hard pressed to argue that it doesn't bring the grade way down (that's how all collectors and grading services I have ever dealt with would view it).... But Julie's point is certainly valid: it is like an Old Judge with back problems in that it doesn't bother me personally nearly as much as it would with an issue that had something printed on the back in the first place.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

While back damage matters for certain cards more than others, it should be left up to the buyer rather than the seller to determine what is important regarding condition. Honest sellers should point out all flaws in a card and let the buyer make the call.

I'm much more likely to be a repeat buyer from someone who makes an effort to give a detailed description, flaws and all, than someone who conveniently "forgets" to mention back damage.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

My opinion (subjective, and opinion only) is that paper loss is the single greatest down-grading factor when assessing a card's condition. If the paper loss is on the front of the card, I agree that FAIR is, well - a fair condition assignment.

And, I do agree with your observation that paper loss on the back of "ad-backed" candy, tobacco, etc. cards is perceived as far more critical in affecting overall condition than paper loss on the backs of Mayo cards.

James Verrill

Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I will not deal with this seller ever again, even if he refunds my payment, because I cannot trust what he says. Sorry Julie, but I don't believe it is the buyer's job to cross-examine the seller over condition on a $50 card that the seller lists as vg, especially when the seller has been around a long time and knows card grading.

You really have to ask yourself as a seller whether it is worth a few extra bucks not to disclose a significant flaw in a card and to alienate a customer. When I sell raw cards, I overemphasize the flaws.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: IMO

IMO I agree with everyone here - paper loss is a great detractor from a card. This is particularly true when the card is not a blank back card.

Now, if you go to the more recent Mastro auctions they tend to believe otherwise - look at the blank back cards from the 1800's. The will grade the cards "irrespective" of any back imperfections. That means that you can have an ExMt card with paper loss, writing or scrap book remnant on it. Is this right? Does everyone agree with this practice?

Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The Other One (Julie)

lied."--me.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If you read the Mastro thesis on each card (which can be quite entertaining in itself) they will tell you there is whatever damage and "irrespective" of this (or whatever other disclosure word they use) the card is in xx condition. You just gotta read the descriptions closely. As long as everything is openly disclosed I can make my own assessments on technical grades. I know that in earlier collecting days condition wasn't as important to most. This ain't earlier days though......So in summation I don't really have an issue with them doing this. Heck most dealers sell 1-2 grades higher than the card anyway....later